Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GIACed Tiguan

GIACed Tiguan

Hi,

Had the ECU on my Tiguan remapped today by GIAC. I had a problem with my Tiguan in that the version of the ECU in my car was a variant that several remappers had not encountered yet. After making some inquiries, decided to have GIAC remap it for me. Lucas from Eurospeed was a great help. He organised GIAC in the US so they knew the ECU programme was coming. The ECU programme was copied off the car and emailed over to them whilst I waited in the morning. They reworked it and sent it back in 45 minutes and the car was reflashed so I left with the car remapped. I have only had it for a day but certainly power delivery is smooth and car has a lot more get up and go.

All other people I inquired with either needed me to leave my car with them for 24 hours or would take a few weeks to get back with a remap once they had downloaded the ECU software.

Users Country Flag
    Interesting to hear about something other than Oettinger and APR. What did it cost you (if it's OK to ask)? Did they give you any idea of what sort of gains you could expect from the remap?

Remap costs $1095. I have not paid yet as Lucas wants to make sure I am 100% happy with the flash. The ECU takes up to 3 days to adapt to new programme and both Lucas from Eurospeed and GIAC seem very concerned that I am happy with the result. I can't comment on power gain as I think you would have to dyno the car to get precise figures but I was told to expect gains similar to APR remap. I decided to go with GIAC primarily because of the fact that I did not have to be without my car for a day, and Lucas organised for it all to be done on a Saturday morning for me, so it came down to convenience for me.

I also inquired with Evolve Technik who were very helpful but needed my car overnight and did not provide programme switching.

Having driven it for 2 days now, I can say that there has been noticeable gain in tractability and acceleration.

Users Country Flag
    I like this news, awesome.
    Good example of a company with integrity who is willing to let you leave without payment, so you can ensure everything is right on the car!

I've had a GIAC tune on my car since it had 1000km on it, it now has nearly 15k and I have had 0 issues and 0 complaints about any of the service provided!

Users Country Flag
    +1 on the service. Great to hear about companies that are willing to put it out there. They deserve much kudos!

But I'm interested to see what the actual gains are. 'Similar' to APR might be the same, better, or worse. If it is similar to APR you should notice (without wanting to overstate it) a significant difference in performance, particualrly in the torque characteristics of the engine. I guess a 'noticable' gain is not quite how I would describe the APR remap.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by clip View Post
    But I'm interested to see what the actual gains are. 'Similar' to APR might be the same, better, or worse. If it is similar to APR you should notice (without wanting to overstate it) a significant difference in performance, particualrly in the torque characteristics of the engine. I guess a 'noticable' gain is not quite how I would describe the APR remap.
    That is what i am thinking.
    Also the reason i will be going with APR for the stage 1 ecu remap.

tiguan code.

Gains are approximately 20-39 KW and 68-136 nm gain across the rpm range.

Giac only release code when they have it right, they do not release code with some issue
    and promise to fix it at some later stage with some update.
    If you search the forums you will find some comparisons where people have tried giac and some other code in the same car and the results are there.

However saying that, if some one wants to turn up with a donor car and we can have a dyno day, run it real stock, and flash it giac, and try any other tuner file if they want on the same day, same car and same dyno

Users Country Flag
    So 145 - 164kw for the Giac tune.
    APR turns out 189kw and can be pushed to over 200 as Sharkie has shown.

Does GIAC custom tune for supporting mods such as intakes, downpipes, exhausts etc or is it just a stock map.

My intention was not to start a "chip" war.

As my original post stated, no one other than GIAC were able to flash my version of the ECU without me leaving my car with them which was a considerable hassle given the location of most of the tuners and their operating times. It came down to a matter of convenience for me, and Lucas and GIAC facilitated the remap for me at a time that suited me.

Also being an impatient so and so I didn't want to wait weeks to have my ECU reflashed. My initial intention was to get an APR flash but they were unable to provide me with the flash for 1-2 weeks after they had downloaded the ECU programme for which I had to leave my car with the the dealer for half a day. As such I have no first hand experience with the APR tune in my car so I cannot make a comparison.

Having said that anyone who knows me knows that I am given to general understatement and do not get too excited too easily. Furthermore, english really isn't my first language so I don't think anyone should dissect the grammatical content of my posts too closely. The GIAC map has provided significant improvements in acceleration and torque and I am very happy with the end result. My 125TSI certainly drives with more stonk than the 147 I test drove before purchasing my car so I am very happy indeed.
    Last edited by tanehy; 12-04-2010 at 10:43 AM.

yes we support mods.

the figures quotes is for a bone stock, no extra mods like exhaust, intake etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast