Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ceres_mining_co’s Tiguan build

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy View Post
    Most of the changes I listed are safe to do. However I have yet to mess with a Polar FIS.

Rns is more expensive because it's a nav unit. I don't really care much about that as I just use my phone anyway.

End up fixing your hood latch?
    Yeah the dealer sorted it out free of charge, suuuuuper lucky on that one.
    MY11 Tiguan 125TSI | 4Motion | DSG | APR Stage 2 | GolfR IC | HF turbo outlet + throttle pipes | CAI | 3" DP

Ceres_mining_co's Tiguan build

How good is the long weekend? Managed to get the CAI and high flow throttle + turbo outlet pipes installed. It wasn't all smooth sailing but lucky my mate came over to lend a helping hand. Check it all out below -->

1) Cold air intake

Before:

After:

A fairly straightforward installation, this was by far the easiest part.

2) Throttle pipe

This is the pipe that connects the intercooler to the throttle body, stock part below (notice the restrictive flat pipe)

High flow unit installed below:

Intercooler hose on the right, throttle body up and to the left.

This was also a straightforward installation, it went in with minimal hassle.

3) Turbo outlet pipe

This one was a joy... below you can see the difference between the high flow unit (top) and the stock unit (below). Same as the throttle pipe, it has a flat mid section which restricts the airflow.

Here's where my problems started. I'll be 100% straight up here and state the obvious - be careful when buying parts off ebay. The part that connects to the IC hose metal clip (top right) was slightly too tight which meant I had to file down the lip of the metal clip to make it fit:

Unfortunately I didn't check for this before I installed the pipe so by the time I figured it out the whole thing had to come out again so anyway moral of the story: CHECK YOUR PARTS FOR CLEARANCE BEFORE YOU BOLT STUFF IN.

Anyway, here is the finished product installed:

RESULTS

The combination of CAI and high flow pipes resulted in the following:

1) A more noticeable induction noise (not a lot though, just the perfect amount) along with a nice "whoosh" when coming off boost.

2) Turbo definitely spools up faster and harder

3) Power delivery feels more even earlier on in the rev range and also higher in the rev range.

All in all, I'm super happy with the results but this is all just set up work for the APR stage 2 tune + DP install. Definitely learnt a few more things getting under the car which is really what it's all about right?
    MY11 Tiguan 125TSI | 4Motion | DSG | APR Stage 2 | GolfR IC | HF turbo outlet + throttle pipes | CAI | 3" DP

Users Country Flag
    Do you have aftermarket DV installed? I already get a woosh noise just from that alone. Would probably amplify it quite a bit

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy View Post
    Do you have aftermarket DV installed? I already get a woosh noise just from that alone. Would probably amplify it quite a bit
    No I'm still running the stock unit, how much of an increase are we talking here? Was it quite noticeable when you installed yours?

Users Country Flag
    Nice work, should be vey fun to drive after the DP and tune!
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceres_mining_co View Post
    No I'm still running the stock unit, how much of an increase are we talking here? Was it quite noticeable when you installed yours?
    Stock tune didn't make any difference. Stage 1 running 20psi, basically going from 2k - 3k revs and closing the throttle makes a consistent woosh noise. This is with a GFB DV+ which doesn't completely replace the DV, just the diaphragm section which is likely to break if you're running a revision lower than "D". It also comes with 2 springs, which I'm running both.

GFB Blow Off Valve BOV DV+ T9351 fits AUDI A5 8F7,8T3,8TA 2007-2016 | eBay

It made a difference in throttle response + helps hold boost between gear shifts. Probably less likely to notice a boost drop between shifts on a DSG.

I'm running everything stock, except the DV and a Stage 1. So I'm assuming that it'll be louder when letting off throttle after boosting on your car.

Has the car had it's coil packs replaced? A good tip is, if they go; a lot of people recommend replacing them with R8 coil packs (red cap).
    Last edited by DannyBoy; 04-10-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMK1 View Post
    Nice work, should be vey fun to drive after the DP and tune!
    Thanks! I'm hoping so, I'm already used to stage 1, definitely need a bit more.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceres_mining_co View Post
    Thanks! I'm hoping so, I'm already used to stage 1, definitely need a bit more.
    Wait until you get used to stage 2, gonna be wanting stage 3 soon

Roof racks and platform went on before our camping trip this weekend:

The setup doesn't look horrible so I might try leaving it on permanently and see how I like it (also I CBF taking it off). Minimal wind noise when there's no load on it and it managed our camping gear absolutely fine. I tried going down the cost effective route but in the end it was just easier to buy the whole Rhino-rack set up.

My only gripe is that I can't use the sun roof anymore due to lack of clearance but I'm slowly getting used to that as well.

APR Stage 2 tune + CTS 3" downpipe

Today I finally went in and had the Tig tuned with the APR stage 2 file and CTS 3" DP.

I got the car back at about 4pm in 35 degree weather and first impressions weren't all that great, however I took her for another spin just then (22 degrees) and all of the characteristics of the tune really started to shine.

First and foremost there's a great hum coming from the DP which for me is just right, not too intrusive whatsoever. From a performance standpoint I didn't notice that much of a difference getting pushed back into my seat over the stage 1 tune, however the torque curve is definitely much wider now. I whacked it into sport mode and she was pulling comfortably all the way to 5k just rowing through the gears whereas she was feeling a bit wheezy up top with stage 1. Rolling acceleration has improved significantly which I suspect has a lot to do with the 3" DP.

All in all I am super happy with where the Tig is right now. I know everyone says this but I'm craving for that extra 10% - 15% power which would be my ideal sweet spot but the cost of getting stage 3 / K04 is putting me off (for now). They really should have made Tigs like this rolling off the factory floor...

While i was there, I asked if they could install the wastegate actuator rod clip that reduces the wastegate rattle which has been driving me up the wall for quite some time. VW quoted me $398 to install a $10 part!

Lastly, huge shout out to Tim from European Luxury Car Service Centre Sydney | BWA Auto he's a top bloke and as always made the whole process super easy.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast