Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: CAM chain tensioners failing..... TSI engines.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MGV View Post
    Hi all, been well over 4 years since starting this thread & not sure if this problem is resurfacing or not...

Was told that the new 2012 build motor that is now in my 2010 Tiggie has a revised tensioner that addressed the old one that was prone to failure. All has been going well, have clocked up another 70 000k's on the new motor now. (60 000 on the original motor)

So maybe 4 or 6 times over the past 2 months, i have 'thought' i have heard the dreaded rattle sound again. Each time it has happened, the motor has been cold & i have been parked facing down-hill on a relatively steep incline (decline?).

I guess what i'm wondering is, is the tensioner there to take up the slack as the chain stretches over time, or just to keep the correct tension as the motor undergoes different loads? Or both?

As Suffolk has mentioned in another thread, quote for new tensioner, $1200... Not really keen on that! Think i recall Lucas_R DIY-ing this for much less, (or at least sourcing the revised part himself.) Don't think i could take on this task myself...
    I had Audi Newcastle do mine - cost $950 but i think i got "mates rates" a bit because my brother was working for them at the time. The tensioner itself is only about $150 or so, but you need the timing case cover, bolts, sealant, new plastic guides and you may as well change the timing chain itself while you are there. So there's probably $700-800 in parts and then about that price again in labour. (cheaper if you dont do the timing chain but i always regretted not changing mine as mine did still rattle occasionally on cold starts)

Users Country Flag
    Don't forget to factor in an oil and filter change. The engine oil will get contaminated during the repair and clean-up process.

The two chains are about $250ea. The oil pump chain, wouldn't worry about, but definitely do the other two. I'll be doing the oil pump chain tensioner/guide assembly on the next one though. Hard to know what wears and to what extent, until you've at least done one before.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Seems strange that it only does it when parked on a steep decline (my brothers place). Did it again today... Gonna try parking on the other side of the road next time, ie pointing up-hill, & see if it continues.
    Current: MY18 TRANSPORTER CrewVan, Indium Grey
    Previous: MY10 Tiguan 2.0TSI, Silver Leaf, APR StgII tune + many mod's

Users Country Flag
    Interesting. I've just found this thread. Just under two years ago, my 2009 Mk5 1.4 TSI wagon was diagnosed with a stretched timing chain. VW replaced the chain/tensioners with the revised parts under goodwill (I had to pay 40% of the labour)

The EML came on a few weeks ago, and they diagnosed it as a stretched timing chain. The car has done 25000km since the replacement. They said to monitor it and to bringit back in if it occurs again which it did earlier this week. I currently have the car in at the dealer being checked.....

Users Country Flag
    Just had the diagnosis. Camshaft Variator? needs replacing. 12 hours labour, and a long list of parts. Total repair bill of $4267.

Time for a new vehicle, and it wont be another VW

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mcam View Post
    Just had the diagnosis. Camshaft Variator? needs replacing. 12 hours labour, and a long list of parts. Total repair bill of $4267.

Time for a new vehicle, and it wont be another VW
    I'd be asking VW to subsidise some of that.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I'd be asking VW to subsidise some of that.
    They'd have to subsidise a huge chunk of it. And I can't see that happening.

To be honest, I've over this vehicle. From the stretched timing chain, and now this... The vehicle is only seven years old.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mcam View Post
    They'd have to subsidise a huge chunk of it. And I can't see that happening.

To be honest, I've over this vehicle. From the stretched timing chain, and now this... The vehicle is only seven years old.
    Welcome to European cars.....i had enough as well after owning 2x VW's over about 7 years. Far too many things went wrong with both VW's that just shouldn't happen on a car that new. I recently purchased a 2nd hand Lexus IS-F and am loving it - feels so solid and bulletproof.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Welcome to European cars.....i had enough as well after owning 2x VW's over about 7 years. Far too many things went wrong with both VW's that just shouldn't happen on a car that new. I recently purchased a 2nd hand Lexus IS-F and am loving it - feels so solid and bulletproof.
    Indeed. Honestly, I really like the feel and drive on my Golf Wagon. And the power for that little 1.4 is great. But if I ponied up for the full cost of repairs since I've owned it, it would be something like $7000. That is ridiculous for less than four years of ownership.

I've begun to think the only good VW is an aircooled one. I still miss my old 1956 Oval Window Beetle

Users Country Flag

My little 3 cylinder 2006 VW fox has now done 120000km, and all I have done is replaced a set of brake pads. My 2010 tiguan has done 189000km and all that has been replaced is 2 sets of brake pads, timing belt and water pump (5 year service). I'd say they are bullet proof as well

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast