Support VWWC

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Aftermarket Apple Carplay?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by romaniac View Post
    Think you misunderstood, that solution I posted integrates into the existing NAV unit in the car, it's not a new unit. For example in my Audi, I've got a cable in the console box, I just plug my phone into that and press a button on steering wheel and whatever is on the phone is mirrored on the screen. The audio comes out of the speakers as its connected via bluetooth.

I can use google maps, apple maps, youtube, stream live TV, basically anything you see on the phone you will see on the screen. Plus it charges your phone while it's connected. I think that's miles better than any carplay option which is limited to music and maps.
    My unit has the android mirror functionality as well but personally find Android Auto a much neater and easier system to use when driving, personal preference I guess.

Also if the unit you mentioned only integrates with the existing headunit that wouldn't add RCA outputs which was top of the shopping list for me, so really depends what you're looking for.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamenj View Post
    Hey mate... been looking round at the kenwood units, What is it? did u get all the steering controls adapted to work? What did it all set u back? Sorry for the million qs
    I got the Kenwood DDX9016DABS, theres a new 9017 model out, not sure the difference. For steering wheel controls I have volume, skip, mute working on the left, the phone button doesnt bring up the phone but not sure if thats cause I still have the factory bluetooth unit installed. In reverse holding the mute button down changes from camera to reverse sensors which can be handy, overall very happy with the integration and improvement in overall sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Aztech View Post
    I got the Kenwood DDX9016DABS, theres a new 9017 model out, not sure the difference. For steering wheel controls I have volume, skip, mute working on the left, the phone button doesnt bring up the phone but not sure if thats cause I still have the factory bluetooth unit installed. In reverse holding the mute button down changes from camera to reverse sensors which can be handy, overall very happy with the integration and improvement in overall sound quality.
    So you cannot connect OEM reverse camera?
    MY10 Tiguan 125TSI /APR Stage 2

Users Country Flag
    No i added an aftermarket one that fits in one of the numberplate light spots, works great.

like this one Aerpro G151VS Volkswagen Reverse Camera | Automotive Superstore

blends in so you cant really notice thats its there.

I'm told if you have the OEM reverse camera with moving lines on the screen as you turn the steering wheels then it wont work with the aftermarket headunit.
    Last edited by Aztech; 22-08-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Bumping this up.. any new headunits out that may work better? I like the sound of the Alpine ILX-007e, however it not having Bluetooth is a pretty big turn off!

Also, does anyone know if any of the head units work with the steering control buttons including being able to activate Siri?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scrim View Post
    Bumping this up.. any new headunits out that may work better? I like the sound of the Alpine ILX-007e, however it not having Bluetooth is a pretty big turn off!

Also, does anyone know if any of the head units work with the steering control buttons including being able to activate Siri?

When you say work better is there any feature in particular that you're thinking doesnt work well? Couldnt tell you about siri as I use mine with android auto but I do prefer the steering wheel controls now as apposed to stock as I can skip tracks playing through bluetooth, spotify etc from the wheel whereas previously had to skip tracks on my phone if I was playing from there.

When I looked into it the Kenwoods were recommended by 3 different car sound places I had quote as they have so many features, AA/Carplay/spotify app/DAB/RCA outputs/blutooth/capacitive display. Alpine was out for me as I didnt want to be locked into Apple.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234