Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60,000KMS Service Questions

Users Country Flag

Lightbulb 60,000KMS Service Questions

Hi guys,

I personally prefer maintaining the car myself but am planning to take it to a workshop.
    '12 2.0TSI Tiguan 4motion 6SPD Non-dsg slushybox.

Planned service:
    Coolant flush
    Brake fluid flush
    Transmission oil change/filter change

Recently done an oil change less than ~5k

I've already had the brakes flushed nearly 2 years ago and have also had the haldex fluid changed. Do you guys have any other suggestions on what I should check/service on the car? Currently sitting on ~55k and I've been doing oil changes every ~15k with 5W-30.

Does the front diff use a different fluid than ATF? (not sure if the front diff is even serviceable?)
    When should the rear diff be serviced? I've read the haldex unit uses a different oil than the actual diff in the rear.

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Users Country Flag
    Front bevel box is servicable, but has no set interval. Requires 75W90 full-synthetic gear oil.
    Haldex coupling on the front of the rear diff is serviced every 3 years (MY10-onwards), and requires specific Haldex oil.
    Rear diff is also servicable, but again, no set interval. This also requires 75W90 full-synthetic oil.

Spark plugs are also due at 60K, and perhaps consider doing the cabin filter as well.

Also ensure that the workshop who is doing the work, is familiar with servicing the gearbox, bevel box, Haldex and rear diff on these. There are some tricks and traps, that could really cause some damage if procedures aren't adhered to.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I've already got replacement spark plugs sitting here, done the cabin and engine filter not too long ago.

If there's no set interval for the front/rear diff, when is a good time to do a fluid change? 80k? 100k?

Users Country Flag
    Add in a fuel filter too.
    and maybe consider checking the high pressure fuel pump tappet/Cam Follower (I assume they fail like the FSI)
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    Fuel filter is internal on petrol Tiguans, like the Passat.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    You might want to consider buying a brake fluid tester, the manual says change break fluid every 2 years (correct me if I'm wrong). Brake fluid absorbs water, and with the fluid tester you can actually delay the 2 years. I've just replaced my break fluid after nearly 5 years. The tester showed that the brake fluid was border line.
    Last edited by Johnny; 24-11-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    You might want to consider buying a break fluid tester, the manual says change break fluid every 2 years (correct me if I'm wrong). Break fluid absorbs water, and with the fluid tester you can actually delay the 2 years. I've just replaced my break fluid after nearly 5 years. The tester showed that the break fluid was border line.
    Let’s start again.

Your pen style tester will not accurately detect water content. So, IMHO, 5years for the brake fluid in Germany is too long and you may see later some signs of not adequate service of the brake system, like pistons sticking in the calliper, etc.

Users Country Flag
    Thank you, I will certainly keep an eye on that. I do service and clean my brakes after every winter on account of the salt that is used.
    Last edited by Johnny; 24-11-2017 at 08:36 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy View Post
    When should the rear diff be serviced? I've read the haldex unit uses a different oil than the actual diff in the rear.

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!
    You should change the rear diff oil, it takes only 0.95L of 75W90, if you tow or use yours in challenging conditions then you should definitely do it, you will run onto the problems with the rear diff later, if not done.

Users Country Flag

Wouldn't a 2012 Tiguan be due for a 75k service?
    Indium Grey Golf 7.5 Alltrack 135tdi Premium - all options

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast