Thread: 2015 Tiguan a/c cabin fan intermittently stops - Fault - any ideas please

Users Country Flag

2015 Tiguan a/c cabin fan intermittently stops - Fault - any ideas please

hi My Wife has a 2015 Tig which for the last 6 months or so has an intermittent fault where the Cabin Fan will just completely shut off - no lights on the dash at all , and then will suddenly come back on . It normally stops for up to a couple of minutes max (sometimes only 30 secs) . She has tried pressing all the buttons at the time of the failure but nothing seems to make it start up again, it just comes on again when its ready itself. She does not use the A/C on Auto .
    Sometimes it happens without the A/C being on as well, ie just the fan on .
    Has had it in to the dealer 3 times now for them to investigate , but of course it doesn't happen when its in there. Only happens probably once per week. The dealer has done a couple of software upgrades , and yesterday have sent of a question sheet to VW Australia to see if they have any answers.
    As its only 2 yrs old we want to get it all sorted while its still under warrantee .
    This is her 3rd Tiguan and the only one we have every had this sort of problem. She travels about 1000km / week , all country driving .
    Has anyone had anything similar ? And or has anyone got any suggestions , as my faith in the dealers finding things is a bit light on.

thanks. Rgds.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi again , thanks for reading my post, assuming from the lack of replies that its not a common problem . Dealer didn't get back to us this week with a reply from VW as he said he would. Don't you love it having to chase people up all the time to get them to do what they said they would !!
    Being intermittent its not an easy one. If we finally find the cause I will post the result.
    Rgds.

Only fault i have seen a few times has been the fan wiring loom not being connected correctly. Been about three or so cars with it sitting loose, so occasionally fan would cut out and back in. Hard to reproduce and only found it after wiggle testing the loom with a multimeter on it.
    Volks Handy
    Servicing - Repairs - Diagnostics - Mobile fault scanning/clearing - A/c work
    10 years experience working for Audi/VW/Skoda
    Now in Perth NOR, Western Australia.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for that tip , could you direct me to where the wiring loom connection is (assuming somewhere behind the glove box??)

Just up behind the air guides under there, you can track the loom back from the resistor block. Have it running while you are checking and shake the loom around abit to see if it cuts in & out.
    Volks Handy
    Servicing - Repairs - Diagnostics - Mobile fault scanning/clearing - A/c work
    10 years experience working for Audi/VW/Skoda
    Now in Perth NOR, Western Australia.

Users Country Flag

Hi - we have a 2015 Tig which had exactly the same problem. When I took it in for service it was fixed. Not sure exactly what they did - there was something about a stuck vent, and also an electrical problem with the nav unit (which was replaced). Havent had the problem since. Hope this helps.