Thread: 2012 Tiguan Motor Oil

Users Country Flag

2012 Tiguan Motor Oil

Hi all,
    Just a quick one. (I'll delete thread once answered). Can someone tell me what motor oil VW use so I can top it up please.
    (2012.5 Tiguan 132)

Needs to be VW 504.00/507.00 approved oil.

Here's a couple of the more common ones that are available at many auto shops.

Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL: (Long Life) Castrol Edge Diesel DPF Engine Oil - 5W-30 LL, 5 Litre - Supercheap Auto

Penrite Enviro+: Penrite Enviro+ Engine Oil - 5W-30, 5 Litre - Supercheap Auto

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Needs to be VW 504.00/507.00 approved oil.

Here's a couple of the more common ones that are available at many auto shops.

Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL: (Long Life) Castrol Edge Diesel DPF Engine Oil - 5W-30 LL, 5 Litre - Supercheap Auto

Penrite Enviro+: Penrite Enviro+ Engine Oil - 5W-30, 5 Litre - Supercheap Auto
    Thank you for your info and links, tigger73. I also have similar issue on finding top up oil as the yellow warning light "Check oil level" coming up.

Thinking that I might not need the whole 5L, I've tried to look for 5W30 LL Castrol in 1 Litre but only found Castrol 5W-30 A3/B4 (for instance, CASTROL EDGE TITANIUM SYN 5W30 1L ENGINE OIL, Castrol Edge Engine Oil - 5W-30, 1 Litre - Supercheap Auto). Are these also ok for topping up or should I buy the big 5 Litre instead?

Thanks,
    Alex

General rule is don’t mix your oils. Recommend to top up with the same oil you filled with.

Typically you won’t use the full 5l when doing an oil change so you will have some spare for topping up. Depends how thirsty your engine is if you need more or can get by with 5litres total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Thank you for following up, tigger73.

Users Country Flag
    Just to make the above easier to understand and I’m sure tigger73 ment “the same specs oil”. Which is even more valid for the TDI engines. For the TSI, in emergencies even lower approved specs oil is fine, better than driving long distance trip with engine oil on low. Mixing different brands with the same specs for top up is fine, however the transmission, diff and other oils, is best to stick with the same brand and specs, otherwise you risk the oil leaks.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Just to make the above easier to understand and I’m sure tigger73 ment “the same specs oil”. Which is even more valid for the TDI engines. For the TSI, in emergencies even lower approved specs oil is fine, better than driving long distance trip with engine oil on low. Mixing different brands with the same specs for top up is fine, however the transmission, diff and other oils, is best to stick with the same brand and specs, otherwise you risk the oil leaks.
    Thank you for your clarification, Transporter. That's very helpful. This is a rare case that I wouldn't want to risk the engine as suddenly the yellow light warning coming up "Check oil level". Looking up and found tips mentioned in the forum, I opened the bonnet to check oil level. The oil level is indeed low near min level. After closing the bonnet, the light went away but I topped up a bit and checked for a right oil level. The issue is that, I had no idea what oil is currently in my engine as service was done by the previous owner last year. The only viable option for me, i.e. walking distance, is Castrol 5W30 A3/B4 1 Litre (only A3/B4 for 1L bottle) at a BP station.

Users Country Flag

That will get you out of the trouble. Put 1/4L in and recheck. Do not overfill.