Support VWWC

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2012 Tiguan 155tsi transmission issues

Quote Originally Posted by davc88 View Post
    after driving my 132 dsg for 2 weeks i feel the same issue. you have to absolutely floor the thing to get the boost while S gear is responsive but it over revs like crazy on avg 60kmph speed streets. sigh...would an apr tune fix the issue? was thinking of putting it off after i get the sat nav done.
    Sorry an ECU remap won't do too much for the way the DSG selects the gears. You may pick up some lower end torque/power which will help it pick up better at lower revs but that is about it.

What you really need is a DSG tune.

At the moment only APR do these and they will set you back around $1200 - see Harding Performance for full details. Some of the other tuners do DSG tunes but not for DQ500 7 speed DSG gearbox in Tigs (yet). One of the things you've then got to worry about is that you've modified your DSG gearbox from manufacturers standard so all bets are off with respect to warranty.... and DSG gearboxes are not cheap things to repair.

So the other option that a number of people (including myself) have done is to buy/install a flappy paddle steering wheel. See this thread for all the details - http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...uan-56968.html.

Advantage of this is that it's a standard VW product available in Golf (plus in other countries is available in Tiguan) so "shouldn't" void warranty. You can then run around in manual mode and change gears from the steering wheel. This allows you to get around all the deficiencies in either D or S mode. Or if you do drive around in either of these modes to manually over-ride where required (down shift to first gear at low speed in "D" / up shift before 4,000rpm in "S").

And I completely understand your frustration at having shelled out a fair sum of money only to need to spend more to "fix" what "should" have been done in the factory.

I'll get off my box now.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

thanks for the great info again tigger73. looks like a giant pain to do that mod, guess i'll wait for a DSG remap if there ever comes 1 from VW.

Don't expect VW to come out with anything any time soon. The DSG programming has been set up for best fuel economy in "D" and go hard performance in "S". Unfortunately there's no happy medium in either mode and can't see the changing this either. I don't think they would spend engineering time on the product unless there was some sort of safety issue.

Given that they had the chance to tweak the DSG in the mid-life face lift I seriously doubt it's on the list of anything that they're going to do. So either you live with it how it is or, once you're happy there's not gonig to be warranty issues, look to make some modifications to the VW original equipment.

I used to run around in "S" and hit cruise control when I got up to speed (to stop the annoying revving before the DSG finally decides to up-shift). This is OK if you're in light traffic.

But now I use the gearbox in manual mode and change gears with the paddles - which kind of half defeats the purpose of going with an automatic car.

If I'm out with the family I'll often just run in "D". If I need to I can always over-ride with the paddles which I will do when coasting downhill to stop going over-speed or if I'm overtaking.
    Last edited by tigger73; 26-10-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Good News for 2012 Tiguan Owners Down Under
    My 2012 Tiguan Pacific 132TSI 6 speed auto has this problem. After being told by the dealer, Pickerings Volkswagen Townsville, that my Tiguan drives to specification and finding that software fixes were available in Canada and the US, I sent the following to Volkswagen Group Australia via their website.
    "I purchased a 2012 Tiguan Pacific 132TSI in June ( just clocked up 5,000 km) and I am extremely happy with the vehicle with one exception. The 6 speed auto transmission mapping has obviously been done with fuel consumption as the priority. This means my Tiguan wants to be in 6th gear at under 60 kph at approximately 1,000 rpm and gentle acceleration (which is necessary in city traffic conditions) results in lag, lugging and vibration. The resulting sounds are quite disconcerting for rear seat passengers. If the same thing happened in a manual you would change to a lower gear.
    I find I have to drive in Tiptronic mode and keep the revs above about 1,700 for acceptable performance (ie 4th gear @ 60 kph, 5th @ 80 and 6th @ around 100kph). My wife "doesn't do Tiptronic" and asks why VW can make the Tiguan such a quality vehicle but cannot make it drive like any other auto transmission.
    I see that VW in the US has issued software update to the Transmission Control Module. The Tech Bulletin number is: 1-12-13, the transaction number on the bulletin is 2029206. The description is of the bulletin is: Slight hesitation and or driving noise at low speeds in high gear.
    Is this or it's equivalent available in Australia? And if not why not? I am not worried about fuel consumption, I just want my Tiguan to be driveable in auto mode in city traffic."
    I received an email from Volkswagen Group Australia a week later saying a case advisor would contact me. Two days later the VGA case advisor called to inform me she contacted Pickerings to arrange to have the transmission mapping checked on my vehicle.
    After testing, I was informed at a meeting with the Service Advisor and Pickerings Volkswagen General Manager that the transmission was “normal” for my Tiguan Pacific and they gave me a printout explaining how the electronic control used fuzzy logic to match shifting to throttle operation and driving conditions. My first thought was that Pickerings VW would just maintain the corporate line and would not attempt to fix my problem. However, after listening to my concerns, the GM did not argue but agreed to try and find a software fix.
    Less than 24 hours later, the VGA case advisor called to inform me that there was a software update available and not long after Pickerings Volkswagen phoned me to schedule a time for my Tiguan to have the fix done.
    I have been extremely impressed with the customer service and prompt action I have received from everyone I have dealt with at Pickerings Volkswagen, Townsville and Volkswagen Group Australia.
    I will report back with my impressions after the new mapping is done.

Great. So the auto which nobody much complains about gets an upgrade but the DSG which everyone complains about doesn't. Go figure.

I guess they leave it to the tuning companies to refine the product....

good news. is the same software available for the DSG at Pickerings? would makes sense with a DSG remap as well?

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Great. So the auto which nobody much complains about gets an upgrade but the DSG which everyone complains about doesn't. Go figure.
    But the 6 speed auto (torque converter) is used in the USA.

Users Country Flag
    I had the software update done on Wednesday. It took about two and a half hours to download to my vehicle.
    My initial impressions after approx 160 km are:
    It is better but not perfect. Still wants to be in 6th gear at 60 kph but changes down more readily - I have not experienced the same lugging as before the update.
    Gear changes are more "sporty" although not as sporty as Sport Mode.
    Do get lugging in 6th gear at around 80kph (approx 1500 rpm) but it is bearable. It is now driving more like an auto transmission should. My wife who normally drives like a granny says she can notice the difference.
    So far, fuel consumption seems to be better.
    I have the following Technical Product Information that I received. Hope this helps.

Technical product information 2028941/1
    Technical Service Handbook
    Sales code: 5N20N3
    Engine code: CCZD
    Username: Kelemete
    ElsaPro transaction no.: 4834
    Model year: 2012
    Model description: Tiguan 2.0 TREND4M132 TSIA6A
    Gearbox code: MYZ

Technical product information Transaction No.: 2028941/1 Release date: 21-Jun-2012

Customer statement:
    •Humming noises at under 1200 rpm (in all gears).
    •When driving in low revs the gearbox changes down too late in mode D.
    Workshop findings:
    •The customer statement can be reproduced.
    Technical background
    Production change
    Update the software of the gearbox control unit according to the following table:
    The software versions listed in the following table were up-to-date when this TPI was published. Further software versions may have been released since.
    Old New Action Online From DVD
    code from
    week
    09G927750MN 2036 09G927750MN 2214 3703 19/12 66
    2068 2239
    09G927750LR 1875 09G927750NK 2248
    2062 2253
    Last edited by gwarra; 02-11-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi gwarra,

Thanks heaps for the info! I contacted my dealer again and they did more research and apparently still no update for my 155 TSI I spoke to VW Australia on the phone a while back, and they advised to email so I've sent them two emails (one month apart), and then an 'enquiry' via their website and STILL haven't heard anything at all, not even a 'we got your email'.....very disappointing!

Will continue to wait, and bug the dealer periodically and try get in touch with VW Australia again.

Cheers
    Danielle

Users Country Flag

2012 Tiguan 155tsi transmission issues

VW Australia doesn't tend to care about customers concerns, as long as you don't mention buzz words like 'ACCC' or 'safety issue'.

Even then it takes them 3 weeks to reply to you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345