Thread: 118 TSI CTHD difference to 118 TSI CAVD engine

Users Country Flag

118 TSI CTHD difference to 118 TSI CAVD engine

Does any one no the differences between the CAVD and CTHD 118 TSI engine? My understanding is the CAVD was used in the troubled MK6 Golfs and the improved CTHD 118 TS came out in early 2012 and are currently in use in the Jetta, Tiguan and Beetle. I have a Beetle with the CTHD and love the throttle response and punch the engine has. I am considering also buying the 118 TSI Tiguan with MT (same as my Beetle). Other than being a whole lot more reliable and having a different ECU i am not sure of the internal engine difference.
    Last edited by TKNick; 17-12-2015 at 09:14 AM.

I believe the CTHD has upgraded internals - different pistons/piston rings, injectors, oil squirters for the underside of the pistons and spark plugs. I also believe the CTHD is a lot better, although still not 100% perfect.

I have a friend with the 118TSI in his Golf and he loves it for exactly the same reasons.

I still think that some of the ECU programming that VW does to meet the tight emissions requirements (standard coding that is) has some impacts on the longevity of the engine. For example VW runs the car very lean on start-up to heat up the catalytic converter to get it up to working temps as quickly as possible. From a vehicles owners perspective you really wouldn't want this being done as it significantly shortens the life of the engine, however this is standard for many manufacturers these days.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Tigger73. Always suspected that tight emmision standards are not always a modern engines best friend. Plan on an APR stage 1 for the beetle as we plan to keep it after the warranty expires; hopefully the tune will negate the lean burn on start up. Considering either a base model 118TSI Tiguan or spend the extra on 130 TDI if they start to sell them again. If i am going to spend that sought of money though i might wait until the new model Tiguan is here in 2017.

I actually thing the tune is the best thing for these engines as it won't run it too lean.

The only thing you have to be sure of is that there hasn't been any damage already done.

The 130TDI Tig is an awesome car, but as you say by the time they go back on sale there's not so long to wait for the new model... which is what I'd be hanging out for if you can wait. They are meant to be going on sale here in 3rd quarter 2016.... however that was th schedule before the whole dieselgate saga started.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    I actually thing the tune is the best thing for these engines as it won't run it too lean.

The only thing you have to be sure of is that there hasn't been any damage already done.

The 130TDI Tig is an awesome car, but as you say by the time they go back on sale there's not so long to wait for the new model... which is what I'd be hanging out for if you can wait. They are meant to be going on sale here in 3rd quarter 2016.... however that was th schedule before the whole dieselgate saga started.
    Thanks for the info mate

Users Country Flag

So would I be right in saying I can swap a 2012 mk6 long motor into my mk5 Jetta which has a blown engine?