Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade MIB2 6.5 inch display to 8 inch

Users Country Flag

Upgrade MIB2 6.5 inch display to 8 inch

I have a 2015 Golf R Wolfsburg wagon.

I have the MIB2 central unit. I am growing tired of the 6.5 inch display. Am I correct in understanding that I can upgrade to the 8 inch display by replacing just the display with part number 5G0919606?

For example, this one, albeit suspiciously cheap from Lithuania - NEW OEM VW DISCOVER PRO DISPLAY CONTROL PANEL 5G0919606 B GOLF 7 / 2013-2017 | eBay

Upgrade MIB2 6.5 inch display to 8 inch-s-l1600-jpg

Cheers,
    Ben

Users Country Flag
    Hi there hardy_bm

The display is just that - only a display and not much more. The heart and brains of the unit sits in the glovebox providing data to the display. A bit like a desktop pc and it's monitor. So firstly, forget about that display on eBay. The equipment you currently have in your glovebox will not work with the 8" display.

Dean at VW Central in Melbourne is the man to talk to or one of his staff. You have to be careful acquiring a set of these as they need to be coded to Australia or you will end up with nothing more than a brick. I bought mine through Dean, had it installed, which you can do yourself or have someone he will recommend. You can also have the option to have DAB+ (digital radio) added.

Other than being a satisfied customer, I have no affiliation with VW Central, however they are a sponsor of this site and can be found under sponsors via the main menu.
    White MY17 Golf 7R with DSG and DAP.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Upgrade MIB2 6.5 inch display to 8 inch

Dean has been good on the phone before. I will save up.

Thanks for the thorough post.
    Last edited by hardy_bm; 07-02-2017 at 05:38 PM.
    Mk 7 R Wagon Wolfsburg. APR Stage 1. Removable towbar.

Yes this works, it's a direct swap and i have done it on my R wagon. Make sure you get right version - i believe the B has a 'band' button instead of 'radio'. (Its the US version) I bought my display from Lithuania. You also need the 5G2819728AHQYI surround. I had VW bring one in for me, cost $255.

The 6.5" screen has the same resolution (800x600) as the 8". Install takes 15 min. Easy! No coding required.

VW Golf 7 VII GTD Navigation Display Bedienteil Discover Pro 5G0919606 | eBay

So will this work with tsi models? Sorry if it's a noob question lol.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeysrus View Post
    Yes this works, it's a direct swap and i have done it on my R wagon. Make sure you get right version - i believe the B has a 'band' button instead of 'radio'. (Its the US version) I bought my display from Lithuania. You also need the 5G2819728AHQYI surround. I had VW bring one in for me, cost $255.

The 6.5" screen has the same resolution (800x600) as the 8". Install takes 15 min. Easy! No coding required.

VW Golf 7 VII GTD Navigation Display Bedienteil Discover Pro 5G0919606 | eBay
    monkeyrus: I'm intrigued! If the 6.5" screen has the same resolution as the 8", doesn't that mean by definition that the larger screen is less "crisp" (or said another way - more grainy)?

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    monkeyrus: I'm intrigued! If the 6.5" screen has the same resolution as the 8", doesn't that mean by definition that the larger screen is less "crisp" (or said another way - more grainy)?

Don
    Don, yes by definition it is less crisp. To be honest its not really noticeable and having the additional size with everything larger makes the screen much better all round. The resolution is the same as what you would find in a car with native 8" screen either way.

Quote Originally Posted by R_LINE View Post
    So will this work with tsi models? Sorry if it's a noob question lol.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Are they mib2 with a 6.5" screen?

Quote Originally Posted by hardy_bm View Post
    I have a 2015 Golf R Wolfsburg wagon.

I have the MIB2 central unit. I am growing tired of the 6.5 inch display. Am I correct in understanding that I can upgrade to the 8 inch display by replacing just the display with part number 5G0919606?

For example, this one, albeit suspiciously cheap from Lithuania - NEW OEM VW DISCOVER PRO DISPLAY CONTROL PANEL 5G0919606 B GOLF 7 / 2013-2017 | eBay

Cheers,
    Ben
    Pic of my screen FYI.

Upgrade MIB2 6.5 inch display to 8 inch-dsc_0880-jpg

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks for the picture. Looks good, and just saved me from an expensive mistake. So to confirm, we need the A model (aka not the B model) with a button that says 'radio' not 'band'.
    Mk 7 R Wagon Wolfsburg. APR Stage 1. Removable towbar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast