Support VWWC

Thread: Touchscreen Dead Pixels??

Users Country Flag

Touchscreen Dead Pixels??

Having, I believe, an issue with the multimedia unit touch screen in my 2013 MK7 Golf (90TSI manual). So far, it's been great with no previous issues whatsoever. Only lately I have started noticing colourful dots (or dead pixels?!) appearing at the corners of the touch screen. See here – Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Here is a closeup shot of the corners (more visible here) -
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I tried to capture it best using the camera but it's very noticeable to the bare eye.
    Has anyone faced a similar problem?
    Now is this something which can be fixed under warranty? Not really looking forward to a sea of dead pixels covering the entire screen after sometime

Users Country Flag
    Have you tried hard resetting the unit by holding down the power button?

If that fails, and the car is still under warranty, take it back to get the screen replaced.

If out of warranty, but you have been having your car serviced with the dealer, there's a pretty good chance they'd replace it out of goodwill.

If you haven't been servicing your car with the dealer, you'd have to argue pretty hard... but a screen should last longer than 3 years in a car...
    Golf MK7 103TSI Highline Wagon | Limestone Grey | DAP2
    Golf MK7 110TDI Highline Hatchback | Tungsten Silver | DAP

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Haven't tried hard reset. Will give that a go.
    Do I lose any stored data for e.g stations, bluetooth connections after doing it?

Warranty expires in the middle of next month.

Users Country Flag
    I think if they just swap the screen out, not the actual computer in the glovebox, you may keep your stored data. I could be wrong tho, they may end up having to do a factory reset even if they just replace the screen.

If your warranty runs out next month, I'd ring up and book it in for inspection now. If the record shows the problem exists before warranty runs out, they can't reject this claim even after the warranty runs out.
    Golf MK7 103TSI Highline Wagon | Limestone Grey | DAP2
    Golf MK7 110TDI Highline Hatchback | Tungsten Silver | DAP

go back to claim on warranty ASAP, to avoid all those troubles on yourself and god knows what kind of excuses the dealer might find once out of warranty. it is obviously defective pixel dots, insist for a new screen for peace of mind IMO.

Users Country Flag

I've just had the screen on my MIB2 replaced under warranty for different issues. You don't lose anything as it is only the screen, nothing more.

Victor
    White MY17 Golf 7R with DSG and DAP.