Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Summary of Bluetooth Options for RNS510 & RCD510

Summary of Bluetooth Options for RNS510 & RCD510

There have been so many posts recently about the different Bluetooth options available for the RNS510 that I thought it might be worth doing a summary of the different options. Perhaps others with more info can add some more info?

I have restricted these options to integrated systems, so it does not include Parrots, or headsets!

These options (in price order) are basically valid for all the RNS510-fittable vehicles - Golf V, Jetta, Golf VI, Passat, Eos, Touareg, Tiguan.

1. VW supplied "cheap" Bluetooth system

This is a Nokia unit and is available for about $800. Based on a Parrot BlueTooth system.

Integration with MFD (dash): NO
    Integration with RNS510: NO
    Multi Function Steering Wheel button works: YES
    Voice Activation: NO
    Extras: None

Comments: This is a very basic system. Not worth the $... IMHO

2. Fiscon Bluetooth
    (either "Basic" without RNS510 integration or "Basic-Plus" with it)

Available from either www.kufatec.de directly (Euro420 including shipping, or about $750 - 800 dependent on exchange rate), or via advancedice and their agents here in Australia. There are also a few car sound places that now will install these - i.e. Northfield here in QLD. Fitting should be about $200, or a relatively simple DIY, takes about 1 hours. Install is simple as the cable loom is a plug and play into the back of the stereo with the existing cable plugging into the new piece. Very easy. Northfield in Brisbane - supply and fit $995. Trickiest part of the install is getting the RNS510 back into the dash with the added bulk of the extra cables.

Integration with MFD (dash): YES (after VAGCOM coding change to advise the car that there is a telephone controller installed)
    Integration with RNS510: YES on the Basic-Plus model. 349 Euros without (Basic), 399 Euros with (Basic Plus).
    Voice Activation: NO - although an RNS510 with voice control activated can be used to voice control this unit.
    Extras: On cars with red MIS display, will display various engine parameters (boost, oil temp, etc).

3. What used to be called the Skoda kit otherwise known as the 9W3 kit, or VW 729
    (VW part number is 1Z0 035 729) - the Skoda Bluetooth kit is very popular, as it offers a good combination of features. You can get this from Kufatec for about Euro590 shipped (about $1050), or supplied and fitted for about AU$1500 from places like Volkspower, or Harding Performance. EDIT April 2010 some VW dealers (e.g. Barloworld) are supplying and fitting this unit in new VWs for $1500.

There is a guy in the UK who can ship these to you for approximately GBP350, or about $750. He has done a heap of group buys for car clubs as well as supplying lots to AUS already. He doesn't take credit cards except via PayPal or he will accept a transfer to his UK Bank Account. If he has stock then the turnaround is next day, if not and he obtains to order it may take a little longer to get than a company with them in stock. There is a "howto" that shows what's involved in fitting it here: Octavia-vRS.com - OEM Integrated Bluetooth Telephone Install. Note also that in that “howto” the guy has bought about $50 worth of extra bits to simplify fitting the cables, so that's about $800 worth of bits.

This is a premium level functionality kit, but does NOT use rSAP, so will (should!) work with any Bluetooth phone.

Installation is NOT plug and play (see link above for example). Involves connecting the Bluetooth system into the CAN bus and +ve 12V and ground by piggybacking into the stereo's connections.

There ARE plug and play ones out there, sometimes on ebay. 1Z0 035 729 items at low prices on eBay.com.au

E.g. for about AU$450 - AU$550 you can get them from Poland. Be aware that the Plug and Play harnesses that come with these units have a non-twisted pair CAN BUS cable, which in theory is non-compliant with manufacturer specs. I rewired mine with some twisted pair cable purchased from my local VW dealer's parts dept.

Integration with MFD (dash): YES (after VAGCOM coding change, usually done by installer)
    Integration with RNS510: YES
    Voice Activation: YES
    Extras: ?

NOTE - there are different firmware versions of this unit that mean some work with some cars and some don't.
    UPDATE (unconfirmed though):
    1Z0 035 729 A - for white MFD equipped models (CC, MKVI Golf, 09 Passat)
    1Z0 035 729 B - for red MFD (MKV Golf, older Passats, Tiguan)
    1Z0 035 729 D - works with new white MFD. Some rumours that it does A2DP, but no-one appears to have actually proven it...
    1Z0 035 729 C - new from 22/6/09 apparently supercedes A and D. Functionally I believe the same as D.

See post further down on my fitting of this...

4. VW supplied "Premium" Bluetooth kit
    (part number 1K8 035 730).

About $2200 - $2300 with the car. This is an rSAP ONLY device, will NOT work with a lot of Bluetooth phones. It is also available aftermarket - you can buy the unit from Kufatec for 840 Euros - about $1600 + fitting.

Integration with MFD (dash): YES
    Integration with RNS510: YES
    Voice Activation: YES
    Extras: Uses rSAP to borrow the phones identity and uses its own built-in GSM radio to make calls.

This system only uses the GSM 900/1800 band, not the Next G UMTS 850 band. As such, once you are outside of the city or major regionals it will have more connection issues.

I hope that is clear...

EDIT April 2010

Dash mount system - VW dealers now also appear to be offering a dash mounted display Bluetooth system - I don't have many details on this though as yet. MyNetspace Picture Gallery :: Untitled :: BT
    Last edited by Transporter; 04-09-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Fitted the 729 Bluetooth today... took a few hours. You need one part from VW to mount it under the seat of a Passat - it clips into slits in the carpet. Be warned, doing a full OEM style install of this thing is not a task for the faint hearted.

Remove stereo, run cables through the driver's side dash to the door sill, under the carpet to under the seat. Then run the mic cable up the A pillar to the head lining and over to the courtesy light assembly.

Put everything back together, then I discovered that the cable harness from Poland hasn't passed through the MDI connections, so I had to pull the stereo out again, remove the sub-plug for MDI from the car's quadlock plug and move it to the harness's quadlock plug.

Check coding in VAGCOM (slightly different to what the websites out there say and also from what the Ross-Tech software says for steering wheel control). I have upgraded the firmware on my RNS510 to the new one that does voice control so I have disabled voice control on the Bluetooth unit, and am controlling it all from the RNS510. The star button on the steering wheel initiates voice control, and the phone button answers / terminates a call.

So it's all done... but the Kufatec unit is easier to install. I installed it into apom's R36 this evening in an hour LOL. But, the mic is not voice control compatible for the RNS510, and doesn't fit in the overhead unit, the display in the MFD looks aftermarket (says KUFATEC FISCON instead of just Phone), Kufatec supports A2DP, but I don't want that really - it just is a pain with my iPhone.

I have run all the wiring for the harness to be stereo, but CarSystems in Poland haven't got back to me with how to connect it to the 729 unit to make it stereo, nor have they said anything about A2SP yet...

Is it the best option? Hmmm possibly.

Pros of 729 Bluetooth over Fiscon:

If you haven't upgraded your RNS510 to voice control, then the 729 is the only way to get true hands free (voice control) dialling.

It's truly OEM, works well. Can access an iPhone's call lists where Fiscon can't.

Cheaper than Fiscon if purchased from Poland.

Microphone can be used as voice control for the RNS510 (with upgraded firmware) by connecting to RNS510 and running new cable to Bluetooth. So one mic, all OEM, voice control for everything.

Cons of 729 Bluetooth compared to Fiscon:

Bigger unit than Fiscon, has to be fitted under driver's seat really (Fiscon squeezes neatly under centre console near gearstick). Therefore harder to install.

Cable harness from Poland does not pass through MDI / CD changer cables - small sub-plug needs to be removed from the car's quadlock plug and put into the pass-through quadlock plug.

Cable harness from Poland has non-compliant CAN bus cable.

No A2DP (we think LOL...), where Fiscon has A2DP.

If you have upgraded your firmware on the RNS510 to be voice control capable, then you can voice control a Fiscon unit from the RNS510 - you don't need the 729. However, you will still need an additional mic as the Fiscon's mic is wrong for the RNS510. So at the very least you'd still need a VW mic, and you'd still need to run it to the overhead console. You'd then have 2 mics - with the Fiscon's only operative on calls.

That's all for now, I'll add more as I think of it...
    Last edited by Swallowtail; 09-10-2009 at 01:14 PM.

Skoda Bluetooth Install

I thought I'd pull together some of the issues that I had installing the Skoda Bluetooth unit, along with some pointers on installation.

The kit I got from eBay came with a plug and play wiring harness. Issues:

1. the CAN bus cabling from the stereo to the bluetooth unit is not compliant with VW specifications. I removed it from the wiring and replaced it with compliant cable - 000 979 987

2. The plug and play harness does not pass through connectivity from a CD changer / MDI. You have to remove one of the sub-plugs from the car's original quad-lock connector (it's plug 4 as shown here: http://www.my-gti.com/529/volkswagen...in-assignments) and move it to the new wiring harness quadlock connector that now goes into the back of the RNS510.

3. It does NOT do A2DP, or at least not so that anyone has been able to work out how to do it. The cable from the Skoda bluetooth unit to the RNS510 carries a mono signal only, which is connected to a single channel of Tel In on the RNS510. The RNS then bridges that to both channels.

4. Ouf of the box it won't provide voice control for a new firmware'd RNS510. It will do its own voice control though. I disconnected the mic cable that came with it, and routed that to the Mic In pins on the RNS510. I then ran a new shielded mic cable down the wiring harness to the Bluetooth unit's Mic In. Alternatively I believe that you can just 'tap' into the Bluetooth unit's Mic wiring and take that to the RNS510's Mic In.

Installation

Note - in a Passat you will need a part from VW to properly mount it. It's 3C0 919 738 A, it's about $30. It goes under the driver's seat with the Skoda unit wedged inside it. It's the ONLY other part you will need for a Passat mount, unless you are doing cabling modifications (compliant CAN bus cable, Mic loop to RNS etc).

Using trim tools, remove the trim surrounding the RNS510, and then undo the 4 torx screws and remove the stereo. Unplug it. Place safely to one side. Remove sub-plug 4 from the car's quad-lock connector (see note 2 and link above). Place sub-plug 4 into the same place in the supplied wiring harness's quad-lock connector. Connect the quad-lock connectors together so your new harness is now in place.

At this point I did a "dry run" and connected everything, did the VAGCOM coding, and tested to make sure everything worked before I put it all in place.

Assuming it all works, now run the cable that goes to the bluetooth unit and the Mic cable (if you are connecting the Mic to the RNS510) behind your dashboard and over to the fuse panel. I removed the lower dashboard cover panel to assist with this. Once at the fuse panel, the mic cable needs to go up the A pillar - more on that in a minute.

Take the Bluetooth harness, and route down behind the plastic trim piece that holds the bonnet release, ensuring that it sits clear of any moving parts. Lift the driver's door sill cover trim piece at the front end (it's one piece all the way to the C pillar, so you won't be able to easily remove it completely, and you don't need to anyway). Run the cable to in line with the front of the driver's seat.

Now at this point you have a choice. Either remove the driver's seat and run the cable through the channel that goes under the seat rail, or run it under the carpet. I chose the latter.

It's probably a good idea at this point to dry run fit the mounting piece from VW under the driver's seat - push it in, and mark where the mounting 'tongue' sits against the carpet (left hand side as you are facing the back of the car). Cut the carpet to suit, then insert the tongue into the carpet on that side, and clip the other side into the top of a cut in the carpet that is already there on that side (it's a small sqaure cut on three sides). Check before you cut...

Once you know where the bracket is going to fit, take it back out, and make another cut in the carpet on the outboard side further back for the cable. Now go back to the door sill and run the cable under the carpet (behind the corner of the carpet as it comes up the seat mount is best), round the front of the seat rail mount, and back to your further back carpet cut. You may find it easier to do this if you remove the black plug housing so you have only the blue connectors to push through. Pull the cable through, refit the black plug housing.

Once you have that there, mount the Skoda Bluetooth unit into the mounting bracket (I trimmed a bit of the black plastic so it fitted better), plug in the aerial, the cable harness, and mount under the seat. Phew...

Rebuild your door sill and trims!

Now the A pillar - remove the "AIRBAG" symbol from the A pillar carefully. It just clips in. There is a torx screw behind it - undo that, and pull off the A pillar cover. Be careful - there are airbags in here...

Run the Mic cable from the fuse panel, behind the corner of the dash, up the A pillar, routing inside the metal if you wish, so that it reaches the top of the A pillar safely and behind all the airbag bits.

Unclip the cover on the right hand mount of the sun-visor. Unscrew and remove. Remove the small light (just pulls out) above the visor. Remove the small mic panel from the overhead panel (where what looks like speaker vents are), and remove the centre piece of the housing. Now thread the cable through using the holes you have created, over to the console, above the head lining. Fit the mic and reassemble.

Reassemble the car, make sure everything is connected and working.

You will need to do some VAGCOM coding to finalise the installation. There is information on that available here:

http://www.my-gti.com/429/volkswagen...th-programming

However, note some differences:

If you are using RNS510's voice control, set Controller 77 to not use voice control (i.e. language spoken by unit to 0 for external control). If not, leave that at 2 for UK English.

Set the Steering wheel controller 16 as per your car, see the link above for details, but be aware that in my Passat the VAGCOM suggested setting did not work. It told me to do 8 - it needs to be 4.

If you are using RNS voice control, with Controller 16 set to have PTT (Push-To-Talk), and the Skoda Bluetooth not using its internal voice control, pressing the star on the steering wheel activates the RNS voice control, from which you can dial names, numbers, etc.

If you are not using RNS voice control, pressing the star button activates Bluetooth voice control.

In either situation, the phone button on the steering wheel answers or terminates a call. If no call is active or incoming, pressing this button brings up the phone menu in the MFD.

Cheers

Swallowtail.
    Last edited by Swallowtail; 17-11-2009 at 09:34 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Swallowtail,
    Many thanks for all the instructions. It's obviously the way to go, so I've ordered a 729 from Poland for my new Tiguan, except I'll get a professional with a VAG-COM to install it.
    If anyone else with a Tiguan is doing that, the part number for the mounting bracket in a Tiguan is: 3C0 919 935 A.
    When I see the black carpet cover for it, I'll let you know the part number.

Just curious, ('cos I haven't seen the unit from Poland yet) do I need to order additional plugs from VW to do the pass through of the microphone from the RNS510 to the 729 or just fit some shielded cable into provided plugs?

MY10 Tiguan TDI
    RNS510 | Fog lights | Electric seats | Comfort package

You will need a couple of "repair wires" to do the mic pass-thru. Look at the posts on Mav's blog - www.my-gti.com - on voice control for the RNS510 and you will get all the details of how to wire the mic.

My cover doesn't have carpet on it at all - it's just a sort of material finish on the black poly block.

Does anyone know if the FISCON/Kufatec will support this function on the new golf wagon? - ie do the mark 6s have red DIS?

"DIS Add on -Extended display of the following data's through the instrument cluster:
    Only available for vehicles with red DIS
    Boost pressure in bar (depends on vehicle)
    Oil temeperature in°C/ F
    Water temeperature in°C/ F
    Remaining petrol capacity in l
    Speed in km/h - m/h
    Revolutions per minute

Pretty sure the MkVIs all have white MFD. In which case, no it won't work...

Smile Skoda kit

It looks like not many people is aware that Barloworld is actually supplying and fitting the SKODA 1Z0 035 729 ‘E’ (latest firmware). Total cost: $1495 !!

After looking at every option available, I believe this is the best kit to get installed ! It even has voice command !!

Hi Mate,

I am getting the standard bluetooth option fitted to my GTI that i should be picking up next week sometime..

I have the feeling that OPTION 1 wont work with the iPhone? I have been assured that the one im getting works with all phones, iphone included. its $800 option. If its not option 1 because it doesnt work with an iphone then what could it be?

Also.. my car was built late dec09 i think. What version of RNS510 would i have? Would i be able to use voice command? :|

Sorry for all the questions!! hehe

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Swallowtail; 12-04-2010 at 10:27 AM.
    2010 5 DR MK6 GTI|DSG|CARBON STEEL|18" DETROIT|ACC|BI-XENON|LEATHER|SUNROOF|DYNAUDIO|SATNAV|MDI|PREMIUM BT|TINTS|EXTENDED WARRANTY| In garage

Guys to confirm..as i am just about to get the skoda BT kit fitted at the dealer.. in the next couple of days! My car has arrived at the dealer today!!

Does the SKoda kit work with the iPhone?? Full funtionality??

thank You!!
    2010 5 DR MK6 GTI|DSG|CARBON STEEL|18" DETROIT|ACC|BI-XENON|LEATHER|SUNROOF|DYNAUDIO|SATNAV|MDI|PREMIUM BT|TINTS|EXTENDED WARRANTY| In garage

Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast