Page 33 of 65 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Summary of Bluetooth Options for RNS510 & RCD510

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by seven13 View Post
    Hey Guys,

What UMTS (3G) bands does the unit pickup?

Obviously it's Quad Band GSM, so 2G isn't an issue, but I live in a marginal area for a lot of the Telstra 2G/3G stuff, so I rely on their new NextG coverage about 20% of the time.

Has anyone got the new 9WZ version and if so, does it work with Telstra, or 3G at all?
    Hi seven13,

Sorry, I haven't been around much lately and so this may be too late for you but anyway, I can tell you the answers to your questions....

The 9WZ is great and works very well on the Telstra network when using the rSAP mode. As you say, it is quad-band GSM and so all 2G possibilities are covered. For 3G, it does at least 2100 MHz (which covers a lot of areas with Optus and Vodafone) and it definitely does 850 MHz, i.e Telstra NextG. The coverage when using the NextG network is just exceptional. Driving down the Hume Hwy from Syd-Mlb (for the F1 GP) immediately after I installed the 9WZ, I saw the signal strength drop below five bars (full strength) for no more than a total of 30 seconds the whole trip.

When I was first driving out initially the reception was very patchy but that was because the 9WZ automatically went onto the 2100 MHz 3/Telstra network (which Telstra are getting out of soon). Going into the phone settings, I selected it onto the Telstra network (which is the NextG network - that is all that will be left with Telstra soon) and the reception was bulletproof.

So I have now been using it for nearly 3 months and I couldn't be happier - there were a few patchy sections returning from Mlb up the coast but that was still only about half a dozen times and it dropped out for no more than 10km at a time. Driving all around Sydney, I rarely see anything below 5 bars of signal strength everywhere I go.

As I have said in the past, if your hand-held phone supports rSAP (bad luck iPhone devotees), the 9WZ offers significant advantages over the 9W7. The audio quality is excellent, the convenience of just leaving your handheld phone in your pocket or bag, etc and you still get perfect coverage, and then you also get SMS'. It is so cool that you can be driving north out of Sydney and receive an SMS on your MFD, from the RTA advising that the F3 is closed!!!

The only mobile network in Aus that I haven't been able to positively verify whether the 9WZ will work with it is Optus' new 900 MHz base-stations. I have tried it out with an Optus SIM and it certainly worked but I have no way of knowing whether it was 2100 MHz or 900 MHz - I suspect it is just 2100 MHz where I was trying it (that's what the majority of Optus base-stations are at the moment).

I hope this is useful for someone.
    MY10.5 BB R36 Sedan with factory RNS510 and Premium Phone

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by James Bond View Post
    Does anyone know if the 9ZB unit is GSM 900/1800 only?
    Quote Originally Posted by seven13 View Post
    No, its Quad Band GSM
    I must correct you seven13: The 9ZB is actually just another name for the 9W7. i.e. it is only a hands-free mode device. So the bands that it is capable of is totally dependant on your hand-held phone (it is the hand-held's transceiver actually being used). See my previous post if you would like to know about the 9WZ, which has it's own transceiver that it uses in rSAP mode.

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_rich View Post
    I must correct you seven13: The 9ZB is actually just another name for the 9W7. i.e. it is only a hands-free mode device. So the bands that it is capable of is totally dependant on your hand-held phone (it is the hand-held's transceiver actually being used). See my previous post if you would like to know about the 9WZ, which has it's own transceiver that it uses in rSAP mode.

Cheers
    Thanks Big_rich for all that. I do apologise, I read that originally as 9WZ, not 9ZB. Stupid VW and their codes!

Did you get your 9WZ factory/Dealer installed, or did you install it yourself after buying on eBay or similar?

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    I bought the 9WZ from the Spanish guy on eBay and installed myself. It's a little bit of a lash at the moment - will have to tidy it up properly when I have time. Unfortunately I had a couple of months of pretty bad health problems just after it arrived and I wasn't really up to contorting myself under the dashboard, etc.

so one of those ebay knock off cables with the disc is reliable enough to do coding? USB Interface VAG K+CAN Commander Full 1.4 OBD OBDII 2 | eBay

would like the challenge of doing it myself if possible but only if im not wasting time!

Users Country Flag
    Hi all. First post from a newbie. I have a Mk6 Golf GTI and want to add an aftermarket bluetooth but there is so much info to trawl thru here. My questions, if someone can answer them are:

1. From the info posted here, seems like the Kufatec Fiscon Plus car kit is a good option over the VW standard. Can anyone else advise who they used for fitting in Sydney?
    2. Is The Car Kit Company better than one of the Advanced ICE dealers?
    3. Do I need to get VW to upgrade VagCOM (is that right?) before I get the kit installed in order to answer calls via the steering wheel?

I've got an iPhone 4. Apologies for duplication of info as the plethora here is pretty overwhelming to get my head around.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by george023 View Post
    Hi all. First post from a newbie. I have a Mk6 Golf GTI and want to add an aftermarket bluetooth but there is so much info to trawl thru here. My questions, if someone can answer them are:

1. From the info posted here, seems like the Kufatec Fiscon Plus car kit is a good option over the VW standard. Can anyone else advise who they used for fitting in Sydney?
    3. Do I need to get VW to upgrade VagCOM (is that right?) before I get the kit installed in order to answer calls via the steering wheel?

I've got an iPhone 4. Apologies for duplication of info as the plethora here is pretty overwhelming to get my head around.
    Get the Genuine VW Bluetooth off Ebay. Works a charm, will probably be cheaper, and you know it will full integrate as it is a fully sick VW system BRO!
    2008 Mk5 Golf .:R32/ BMP/ RCD-510/ More to come

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by george023 View Post

I got the 9w7 kit from the Spanish guy on EBay (Bluewagen)...was here within a week and had Camden GTI @ Campbelltown remove the basic system and install the new unit. They looked after all the coding etc and it's fully intergrated and works like a charm.

The work carried out by the gents at Camden GTI was excellent and would recommend them to anyone in Sydney.
    MY10 R36 Wagon Biscay Blue|Satnav|Bluetooth|Sunroof|Auto Tailgate|Adaptive Cruise Control| - First Time VW Owner

Users Country Flag
    I ended up going with the Kufatec Fiscon Basic Plus. It was installed by Steve Purcell. Got it up and running in under an hour and it works perfectly. No drilling needed, very clean install. The system is easy to navigate, the voice quality is clear and overall its everything I read about and hoped it would be. I can't recommend Steve enough. He was easy to deal with, arrived on time and said there would be no issues and he was true to his word. If anyone is considering it, his number is 0414 280 731 or purcell2@bigpond.net.au

Users Country Flag

Installed 75% of an 9w7 today, still need to remove the a-pillar in the morning and run the mic cable. Getting the head unit back in with the piggyback cable was a PITA. Hands are cut up based on running the cables through the dash and under the carpet.

Just wanted to say thanks for the tips in this thread, saved me a heap of time and cash.

The unit is paired and has been tested and whilst needing vagcom coding, is looking good so far.

Page 33 of 65 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast