Page 31 of 65 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Summary of Bluetooth Options for RNS510 & RCD510

Quote Originally Posted by captjohnno View Post
    I ended up getting my 9WZ installed into my Tiguan and it's a great unit. I have an iPhone so cannot access SMS however that's fine. A few questions...

1. Does anyone have a user manual for the 9WZ, I can't find this on the forums/google

2. When the phone is connected in the car and SMS messages come in, the radio/music etc, will cut off and the phone takes over. The SMS tone does not activate, I just know I have a text as the music has stopped. How can i prevent this? As a solution I've intentionally disactivated the iPhone as a Bluetooth device from the VW (so I can't stream music via the iPhone to car which is fine as I don't need to do this) however this hasn't resolved the issue. Additionally if have music playing and pickup the iPhone and for instance unlock it or check an email, the unit swaps to Phone mode - once again switching off the music.

FYI I got it installed at VW Barloworld Five Dock for $250, they did a good job.

Many thanks.
    Have you tried on RCD or RNS 510, Setup menu > Media > Set Bluetooth Audio Autoplay to OFF?
    MY19 Tiguan Allspace, Platinum Grey, Sound & Vision, R Line, Sunroof

Rosie Guest
    G'day All,

I've bought a 9W7 (1Z0 035 729 E) with voice command from Poland NEW VW BLUETOOTH RNS510 MFD3 MFD RCD - VOICE COMMAND !! (aukcja 190375835992) - aukcje eBay.pl | Zakupy bez granic! for my MY11 Skoda Octavia RS. There seems a wealth of advice and photo articles for installing these in Golfs, but Skoda info is a little thin. There is an older model (no steering wheel functions) install on octavia-rs.com, but the one thing I can't find anywhere is to do with the mic.

I've got a Columbus sat nav unit with voice recognition, so shouldn't have to install the mic supplied with my bluetooth unit. I can't find info on which pins I need to alter anywhere. A few references to the procedure, but no specifics as to which pins need to be connected to each other from the harness to the existing mic plug.

Also, I'm confused as to whether I should buy additional bits and install the BT unit under the driver's seat, or if it is good practise to leave it in the dash behind the heater controls. If I go for the under seat mounting, does anyone know if the VW part numbers for the bracket, screws, clips, and carpet cover, which appear on a few sites are the same used on a Skoda install? If not, does anyone have the Skoda numbers?

I rang the pro up on Sydney's northern beaches, who is mentioned in the forums a few times, who told me he would charge 4 hours labour, which made his install over $100 more expensive than what I paid to buy the unit delivered from Poland. I've seen plenty of posts where people are saying how easy this job is, and I'm no stranger to this type of work, but like everything else, things are easy to do once you know how. Any info which would help me with the install will be much appreciated.

Users Country Flag
    HELP!

I attempted installing the 9w7 in my Skoda vRS a couple of weeks ago (or trying to intall it)! The polish kit even appears to have VW compliant twisted wiring as well. Ran into 3 problems tho that I hope someone can make some suggestions to help solve...

I followed Swallowtail's instructions in the post about the install (my Skoda already had a mic installed for the RNS, so carefully removed those wires from the quadlock and installed them in the polish connector in the appropriate place) - when I got to the part where you un plug the blue connector from the original quadlock and place in the polish quadlock, came unstuck...the blue connector would not fit in the polish quadlock - the fit was way too loose and would not stay in place! If I had another plug that fitted in the polish quadlock, I could have transferred the wires accordingly, but not sure if it's possible to obtain one. (Checked the tyco website, and can find some, but not all the parts necessary - tyco is the brand on the polish quadlock)

Second issue is that the cable from the quadlock to the bluetooth unit is not nearly long enough to reach along under the dash down the driver's side channel to the area under the seat. In fact, I would say that it would be touch and go if it reached by taking it straight under the console and down the side of the transmission tunnel to the area under the seat!

Third issue is that with that huge plug joining the Skoda and polish quadlocks + wiring, even as a trial run, could not get the RNS to go back in place! Could not imagine trying to squeeze the BT unit in there as well!

Any suggestions appreciated.

p.s. Rosie; this is only very limited experience (and you can see from the above that it wasn't a successful 1st foray) - but you could try the following sites for help with the mic connections: Volkswagen RNS 510 pin assignments | my-gti.com and; Volkswagen RNS 510 Microphone Connection for voice control | my-gti.com Swallowtail in his excellent post suggests p/n 3CO 919 738 A as the mount for the BT unit under the seat - but the one that I eventually got from the VW dealership is: 1KO 919 737 M, and this is a black foam box that the 9w7 BT sort of snaps into and mounts under the driver's seat of my MY11 Skoda vRS Wagon with in-built velcro. The VW spare parts person in Bris had a cow about me ordering a VW part for a Skoda, but it was only $26.85, so I explained that it wasn't a sheep station, and she seemed to be placated enough to order it for me.
    Redline3345 MY11 Octavia vRS Wagon TSI DSG | Brilliant Silver | Milltek cat back exhaust | Bilstein PSS10 | TSR Panorama | Remsa | Leather | Sunroof | Towbar | Front Sensors | Boot Protector | Xenons | Corner Fogs | Alarm | Extended Warranty | Superskoda Bits & Bling

Quote Originally Posted by redline3345 View Post
    Second issue is that the cable from the quadlock to the bluetooth unit is not nearly long enough to reach along under the dash down the driver's side channel to the area under the seat. In fact, I would say that it would be touch and go if it reached by taking it straight under the console and down the side of the transmission tunnel to the area under the seat!
    I stuck the bluetooth behind the climate controls. Didn't even consider putting it under the seat because I thought the foam looked ugly (I'm tall with long legs so my seat goes all the way back). Fits snugly down there and even takes the rolled up cable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by redline3345 View Post
    Third issue is that with that huge plug joining the Skoda and polish quadlocks + wiring, even as a trial run, could not get the RNS to go back in place! Could not imagine trying to squeeze the BT unit in there as well!
    I had exactly the same problem; too much wiring behind the unit for everything to fit. My solution was a bit rubbish but it worked. I used a hacksaw to remove some of the plastic from the dash where the stereo sits. There are three convenient hexagonal holes over the left and turning that into one larger hole didn't seem to affect structural strength. Then I could push the quadlock through the hole into the cavity between the stereo and the glovebox.

I tried a bunch of other techniques - pushing the quadlock down, up, to the side, taping it in place, using drawstrings - but it was simply too cramped back there. Though if my stereo falls out over the next few months I'll let everyone know.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfridge View Post
    Hi Guys,

Just a quick one, we do a lot of Fiberdyne bluetooth kits thru here and the reason is that we love them and so do our customers. It's a cracking kit, has equal or better functionality to the factory stuff and it's generally at a better cost. I have it fitted to my Amarok Highline and it is excellent.

Out of interest 77kw polo TSI, have you been in contact with your salesman from here? Most of us are aware of the upcoming mono to stereo bluetooth audio firmware update.

Cheers
    Hi FlyingFridge - Fiberdyne were good - they posted me out an updated unit. I still ended up going for the VW unit instead, and posting back both my mono unit (which Bayford kindly offered to refund the costs for) and the new stereo unit. The VW unit has a slight edge in connecting time to my iPhone and the contact sync works (didnt on the mono unit - Fibredyne said no prob on the newer ones).

Fiberdyne have a smaller neater unit - so easy to install in the Polo dash space, but for me I was looking for full feature options and the idea of putting the VW 9W7 mic into the space made for it in the roof, and not having any external mic showing appealed to me. As did wiring the mic to the RNS510 and then into the 9W7 to get the full benefits of the RNS - ie voice control - made the change over worthwhile for me. Top marks to Bayford and Fiberdyne for their service - helpful, flexible and courteous throughout. thanks guys,
    MY18 GOLF 110TSI I HIGHLINE I Indium I Panoramic Sunroof I DAP I IP
    MY18 TIGUAN 162TSI I R-LINE I Ruby I DAP I IP

Guest Guest
    Hey sorry to dig up and old thread i have the fiscon unit installed in my polo with the RCD 510 however the phone button doesn't work I was under the belief that this could be fixed however my dealer (who installed the Bluetooth) and said they couldn't get it to work

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nhand42 View Post
    I stuck the bluetooth behind the climate controls. Didn't even consider putting it under the seat because I thought the foam looked ugly (I'm tall with long legs so my seat goes all the way back). Fits snugly down there and even takes the rolled up cable as well.

I had exactly the same problem; too much wiring behind the unit for everything to fit. My solution was a bit rubbish but it worked. I used a hacksaw to remove some of the plastic from the dash where the stereo sits. There are three convenient hexagonal holes over the left and turning that into one larger hole didn't seem to affect structural strength. Then I could push the quadlock through the hole into the cavity between the stereo and the glovebox.

I tried a bunch of other techniques - pushing the quadlock down, up, to the side, taping it in place, using drawstrings - but it was simply too cramped back there. Though if my stereo falls out over the next few months I'll let everyone know.
    Thanks nhand42!

Anyone got any suggestions re: moving the sub plug that does not fit to the polish quadlock??
    Redline3345 MY11 Octavia vRS Wagon TSI DSG | Brilliant Silver | Milltek cat back exhaust | Bilstein PSS10 | TSR Panorama | Remsa | Leather | Sunroof | Towbar | Front Sensors | Boot Protector | Xenons | Corner Fogs | Alarm | Extended Warranty | Superskoda Bits & Bling

Users Country Flag

Antenna on 9WZ

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at getting the 9WZ unit, probably from the Spanish guy (Bluewagen) on eBay, to go with my wonderfully working (finally) RNS 510 (ver D), but I asked him this question and he didn't know:

What UMTS (3G) bands does the unit pickup?

Obviously it's Quad Band GSM, so 2G isn't an issue, but I live in a marginal area for a lot of the Telstra 2G/3G stuff, so I rely on their new NextG coverage about 20% of the time.

I have spent several hours trying to find the answer with lovely Google, but the only vague answer I got was from a Polish (only) eBay listing that stated GSM 850/900/1800/1900 and UMTS2100. Obviously this rules out NextG, however on closer inspection, the unit he was selling was the old C version 9WZ not the new Dual-band 3G D version. I'm starting to assume it's either gonna be 900 or one of the stupid US bands, like 1700/1900, neither of which helps on Telstra. (the Spanish guy on eBay mentions AT&T, not a good sign)

Has anyone got the new 9WZ version and if so, does it work with Telstra, or 3G at all?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by seven13 View Post
    Has anyone got the new 9WZ version and if so, does it work with Telstra, or 3G at all?
    I'm wondering how can you tell if it is using 3G and what band? Does it say on the display?

...(Unless you knew there was a coverage hole at some location where only 850Mhz or 900Mhz was available
    - 2011 Multivan T5.2 - 2,0L 135kW BiTDI. Mod info here
    - 2008 Tiguan 5N 103TDI 4MOTION. Mods: RNS510 | Colour MFD | MFSW | LED tail lights | Mirror LED | Footwell LED

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by YellowLemon View Post
    I'm wondering how can you tell if it is using 3G and what band? Does it say on the display?

...(Unless you knew there was a coverage hole at some location where only 850Mhz or 900Mhz was available
    Well, according to alot of the pictures I've seen, it is capable of 3G (it's got a lovely little 3G in a bubble next to the reception):

See

Page 31 of 65 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast