Page 28 of 65 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Summary of Bluetooth Options for RNS510 & RCD510

Users Country Flag

Here is a great write up of how to install your RNS 510 and Bluetooth with nice pictures too. The Volkswagen Club of South Africa - View topic - Golf VI GTI RNS 510 and 9WZ Bluetooth Install - Long Post

If you go through the posts, if anyone that has bought the bluetooth from the Spanish guy, has anyone experienced the "alternator whining" noise that the guy noticed? It looks like a fault in the microphone wiring harness ?

Thoughts and feedback from anyone that has purchased from the Spanish guy...
    Last edited by Transporter; 09-03-2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: correct typo

Users Country Flag
    I think you would be fine.. I bought my unit overseas and used the media that was bought here and havent had any problems...

But if you read at the back of the original packaging legally it's bound to that unit

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rank View Post
    ...if anyone that has bought the bluetooth from the Spanish guy, has anyone experienced the "alternator whining" noise that the guy noticed? It looks like a fault in the microphone wiring harness ?

Thoughts and feedback from anyone that has purchased from the Spanish guy...
    Hi Rank, I have actually sent you a quite long Visitor Message replying to yours from a week or two ago.

Anyway, I bought my 9WZ kit from the Spanish guy and had similar issue to the guy on the SA forum. I think they have intentionally set-up a compromise in the wiring harness that allows the microphone to work, in a fashion, in any configuration (via RNS510 with voice commands or not, or new mic direct to BT module). I tested it all and got reports that the BT transmit audio was usable but not brilliant. I swapped four or five wires and cut a couple to make a proper connection to the BT from the RNS510 Mic Out. Subsequent testing showed a big improvement.

I will post details of all this when I get the chance to complete the installation (which has stalled due to illness over the last month).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_rich View Post
    Hi Rank, I have actually sent you a quite long Visitor Message replying to yours from a week or two ago.

Anyway, I bought my 9WZ kit from the Spanish guy and had similar issue to the guy on the SA forum. I think they have intentionally set-up a compromise in the wiring harness that allows the microphone to work, in a fashion, in any configuration (via RNS510 with voice commands or not, or new mic direct to BT module). I tested it all and got reports that the BT transmit audio was usable but not brilliant. I swapped four or five wires and cut a couple to make a proper connection to the BT from the RNS510 Mic Out. Subsequent testing showed a big improvement.

I will post details of all this when I get the chance to complete the installation (which has stalled due to illness over the last month).
    So If I buy one of these units (thinking of getting the 9W7) will I have to alter the wiring/harness to connect it to the back of the RCD510. Is it easier just to buy a new microphone harness (if so where). Not really keen to get the kit if it produces a whining noise when in use?

Would I be better off buying from the Polish guy with the following kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Bl...ht_4576wt_1167
    Last edited by kash_0; 13-03-2011 at 04:41 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Kash

Firstly let me say that I believe that the 9WZ is the BT unit of choice at the moment. It does everything the 9W7 does and a heap more. If there's not much difference in pricing then go for the 9WZ. The only extra bit of work is having to install the GSM antenna if you want to use it in rSAP mode - which is the sensible thing if your mobile phone supports it.

Also, I can't comment on what you will get from the Polish guy - his wiring harness may have other issues for some configurations. I can only tell you about what I received from the Spanish guy (bluewagen). However, I think that if you have RCD510 the harness I got will not have any issues. Let me explain....

I have a factory fitted RNS510 with voice commands, and so my car already had the microphone installed. I wanted to keep the microphone feeding into the RNS (so that it's voice commands would still work) and then use the Mic Out from the RNS to feed into the BT module. That's where the strangeness is in the harness from Spain - they've bridged half of the Mic In and Mic Out wires on their connector that will plug into the RNS. There's also a completely new separate microphone cable that goes directly into the BT module and also loops into this weirdness on the RNS connector. Now as far as I know (but I may be wrong because I haven't really looked into it too much), the RCD510 has no microphone facility at all, so this "suspect" wiring on the headunit connector should go nowhere in the RCD. I am presuming that you will need to install the new microphone that is provided and will use the cable in the new harness. This will simply connect your microphone directly into the Mic In of the BT module and it should all work quite OK. If you wanted to then you could cut the loop wires in the new harness (not touching the factory installed car wiring) to be absolutely sure that there was no Mic feed going near the headunit.

I guess that my main disappointment with the kit supplied from Spain was that there weren't any instructions at all but for the price you can't complain too much. It would have just made the whole thing a sweeter experience if there was a sheet explaining to move these couple of wires and cut these couple of wires for the 3 or 4 possible configurations. Otherwise the purchasing experience for me was great - I was stunned at how quickly it was delivered.
    MY10.5 BB R36 Sedan with factory RNS510 and Premium Phone

Users Country Flag
    It does everything the 9W7 does and a heap more.
    Not wanting to start a 9W7 vs 9WZ war, but other than txt messages, what else does the 9WZ do that the 9W7 doesn't?

Users Country Flag

Hi Rich,

Funny enough, i never saw that message that you sent through. I was starting to wonder if my notifications had worked

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Not wanting to start a 9W7 vs 9WZ war, but other than txt messages, what else does the 9WZ do that the 9W7 doesn't?
    The main thing is that 9WZ has rSAP mode as well as HFP. With rSAP, the BT module is a mobile phone transceiver in its own right. With the ability to place the antenna in an optimal position on the vehicle you should achieve better reception/transmission than from a hand-held mobile. Whereas in HFP (as you are limited with 9W7), wherever you place the handheld mobile it will probably be largely sitting behind metallised glass all round, and this should have a shielding effect on the phone's radio signal.

Also, there is a convenience factor. To try to achieve anywhere near optimal radio signal from the handheld mobile in HFP mode, you need to place it in a holder (to make it legal in most states) as high as possible to prevent shielding from the metal panels of the car. With rSAP mode, the mobile just needs to be somewhere inside the car (anywhere, including in your pocket) and you will still achieve optimal signal connection to the mobile network.

That's the main difference.
    MY10.5 BB R36 Sedan with factory RNS510 and Premium Phone

Users Country Flag
    Guys I've read this thread a few times and realize some info is now outdated since the initial first page comparison. Am I correct in stating if price isn't an issue and I have an RNS 510 and iPhone 4 and want Bluetooth similar to Premium VW factory fitted kit with all the features, then one of these units from Poland would do the job. I have a 2010 Tiguan and although when I purchased I got many extras I held off the Bluetooth because of the crazy high price. Can anyone recommend a good installer in Sydney area? Many thanks.

VW PREMIUM Bluetooth KIT RCD mfd3 RNS RNS510 7P6 - A2DP (eBay item 170512767381 end time 09-Apr-11 09:35:25 AEST) : Consumer Electronics

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by captjohnno View Post
    Guys I've read this thread a few times and realize some info is now outdated since the initial first page comparison. Am I correct in stating if price isn't an issue and I have an RNS 510 and iPhone 4 and want Bluetooth similar to Premium VW factory fitted kit with all the features, then one of these units from Poland would do the job. I have a 2010 Tiguan and although when I purchased I got many extras I held off the Bluetooth because of the crazy high price. Can anyone recommend a good installer in Sydney area? Many thanks.

VW PREMIUM Bluetooth KIT RCD mfd3 RNS RNS510 7P6 - A2DP (eBay item 170512767381 end time 09-Apr-11 09:35:25 AEST) : Consumer Electronics
    Yep... that's the 9W7/9ZB kit which is the current MY11 Bluetooth cars are being fitted with at the factory with now. I, and another a number of other forum members here, have it and it's a great kit.

As for fitting, you can probably actually get any VW dealer to do it, they'll usually quote you about 2hrs labour to do it (usually $300) or probably any number of after market car phone places will too, but they may not have the right equipment to code it up to fully integrate into the MFD/steering wheel.

Or, if you have an afternoon to spare, you can DIY and save yourself the dosh

Page 28 of 65 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast