Support VWWC

Page 19 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Summary of Bluetooth Options for RNS510 & RCD510

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fergus View Post
    Hey Pete, one thing that I wasn't super clear on from your install guide was the location you cable tied the 9w7 to ? Was it to the underneath side of the ledge/cross brace under the radio (eg above the Airconditioning control section ? Also, curious why you didn't put it under the seat - was it because you didn't want to go through the pain of running the cable down the tunnel and under the carpet ?
    Hi Fergus,

Yeah I cable tied the 9w7 to the cross brace that is underneath the stereo that separates the stereo 'comparment' from the climate control 'compartment'. And I didn't stick it under the seat because I like the space under the seat, cbf running cables here there and everywhere, and also just thought it was a nice discreet place to put it. You still get good bluetooth connectivity with the bluetooth unit behind the stereo and I haven't had any problems.

Hope that answers your queries.
    2008 Mk5 Golf .:R32/ BMP/ RCD-510/ More to come

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Pete. Presumably the 9w7 doesnt foul against the climate control - looks like there's quite a bit of space there.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by fergus View Post
    Thanks Pete. Presumably the 9w7 doesnt foul against the climate control - looks like there's quite a bit of space there.
    There is quite a lot of space behind the climate control. I was quite surprised how much there was. Really all it is is a control panel so a few cables out the back... it doesn't contain any meat like the headunit does.

Do you have a 9w7 that you are wanting to install?

Users Country Flag
    Went and visited my local VW dealer on the weekend (Werribee), as when I test drove a Jetta there and asked to see the BT in action (before reading this thread) they took me to sit in the service manager's car which was an R36 - and sure enough his MFD read KUFATEC FISCON!

Anyway the gal there showed me a leaflet which showed the BT solution they offer - distributed by AdvancedIce of course. Yep a VW dealer actively spruiking non-OEM products!

Anywho I told her I was after an RCD 510 plus Fiscon and wanted to know how much for them to supply and fit as a starting point.
    She said they just had an RCD 510 they'd taken out of a car prior to delivery to fit an RNS 510, and that they would fit it and the BT for $1,600!!! Naturally I asked how quickly I could book it in.

Being an impatient bugger at the best of times I was fully willing to pay $500-$600 (plus probably another $50 each in shipping I'm assuming?) each for the RCD 510 and the BT, and then a further $300 to VW workshop to fit. So you're looking at $1200 minimum plus $300 to fit which comes to $1500 MINIMUM. And not only do I not run any 'risk' of importing, plus having to wait for it to arrive... it will be covered under warranty which I'm pretty happy with.

Booked in for this Saturday (6 November) so will let you know how I go.

How cheap must they have bought the RCD 510 off the customer for, to be able to do the whole lot for $1600??!! I was expecting her to tell me another $500 or so on top of that and was then going to ask how much to fit if I supply the parts.
    (PS how lazy/ignorant are people that don't do it themselves and sell it

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteaussi View Post
    cbf running cables here there and everywhere.
    It's 1 cable, that goes to one place.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    It's 1 cable, that goes to one place.
    One cable that you'd have to run from the headunit to the unit... and back from the unit up to the overhead console. There is a lot of doubling back required.

Users Country Flag
    There is quite a lot of space behind the climate control. I was quite surprised how much there was. Really all it is is a control panel so a few cables out the back... it doesn't contain any meat like the headunit does.

Do you have a 9w7 that you are wanting to install?
    Yes if it ever arrives from Spain - 3 weeks and still counting. Picked up the foam bracket today if I put it under seat when Pepe posts up his cable run pics & instructions

Hi Fergus,

Yeah I cable tied the 9w7 to the cross brace that is underneath the stereo that separates the stereo 'comparment' from the climate control 'compartment'. And I didn't stick it under the seat because I like the space under the seat, cbf running cables here there and everywhere, and also just thought it was a nice discreet place to put it. You still get good bluetooth connectivity with the bluetooth unit behind the stereo and I haven't had any problems.

Hope that answers your queries.
    hi peteaussie, i'm going to install my bluetooth module behind climate controls also. What did you use as part of the bluetooth module to tie the cable ties as my module is flat on all sides...

Maybe you wrapped it around the cables? Cheers, michael.

Users Country Flag
    One cable that you'd have to run from the headunit to the unit... and back from the unit up to the overhead console. There is a lot of doubling back required.
    No, it's one cable.

One cable that goes from the head unit to the BT unit.

If you don't have a pre-installed mic, then yes, you need to run a mic, but you need to do that regardless, and that goes straight to the head unit anyway, so where you mount the BT unit is irrelevant.

Personally, I think under the seat is better as I'm betting the environment in the dash is warmer than under the seat, so less likely to fail. Plus, no chance it'll come loose and rattle around under the seat. But that's me

Oh, and next year, when the super-dooper MY12 BT unit comes out with the built in back scratcher, I can just plug it in and go

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by noisuf View Post
    hi peteaussie, i'm going to install my bluetooth module behind climate controls also. What did you use as part of the bluetooth module to tie the cable ties as my module is flat on all sides...

Maybe you wrapped it around the cables? Cheers, michael.
    Hi Michael,

I wrapeed the cable ties around the unit and didn't put though any specific holes etc.. I tightened them pretty tight so they shouldn't move and there isn't much in the way of horizontal movement that the bluetooth unit can go through when in there (it is pretty snug).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Pete

Page 19 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast