Thread: RNS850 map updates

RNS850 map updates

My Touareg has the RNS850 navigation system fitted, problem with this system is it does not allow you to upgrade your maps with a general VW disc (like the RNS510). I am due for a service shortly in which I will be requesting the dealer to upgrade the maps. Does any one really know how this is done? I have been told the vehicle needs to be plugged in and access to VW AG required, this will allow you to find the newest map and then some form of code is required to be purchased to allow downloading. The code is a single use only licence.
    Does this sound correct?
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc R, Audi Q5
    Past VWs- T-Roc R-Line, Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag
    Sounds about right!

Someone did put up a thread all about it.

Use the Google Search tab up the top.

Unfortunately no DIY under the new system with dealer holding some sort of key with the code.

Need to bring back the boys and form an Ocean's Fourteen to swipe that card.
    MY11 Tiguan 147TSI (SOLD)

Those with a current Touareg's Sat Nav (RNS 850) please sit down before you read on.
    To update maps you need to purchase an activation code (7P6 051 850D) from your dealer at the cost of $550 give or take a dollar or so. Now that is just the activation code, not a fancy DVD or something.
    The dealer will have the maps on SD card (7P6 051 236D) and will be able to load your system, charging you for the this by the way.
    Maps updates are not a service item costed under the warranty period, owner pays for them.

$55 for V7 RNS 510 maps and people are complaining!!!!
    Even $55 won't pay for the lube you need to do an update on the RNS 850. Makes you wounder what the Discovery Media in the new Golf 7 will cost come post warranty time.

I am now going to go across the road to Audi and get the same map update (less VW dealers POIs) for less than half that cost.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc R, Audi Q5
    Past VWs- T-Roc R-Line, Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag
    Euro Car Upgrades has 2014 Maps and offer activation at $199 in Maroochydore:
    2014 VW Touareg Map Update for RNS 850 8R0069884BN - Service Euro Car Upgrades

Users Country Flag
    A friend of mine just bought the latest model Golf R with the 850 he has the SD card for the Maps in the Glove box ,there is also other slots there for other media .

Users Country Flag

Thats MIB system low not the RNS 850