Support VWWC

Thread: Rns510

Users Country Flag

Rns510

Hi Guys,

just having issues with the head unit asking for the navigation Dvd.
    I went into the menu to have a look at the HDD and this is what I found (refer to pics in link).
    Hdd shows volume size as zero megabyte and remaining space is also zero megabyte.
    Hdd is still formatted to Fat16.
    RNS510 - Album on Imgur

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Gerard
    Last edited by GerardR; 07-09-2023 at 07:35 PM.

Users Country Flag
    More and more of the RNS510 look to be failing due to age; most have IDE HDDs.

Try reloading the firmware on the unit: Firmware updates for RNS510 units in Australia/NZ

And if that fails, an HDD replacement would be required. RNS-510 HDD replacement/SSD swap DIY

Many people are upgrading the units with something that has a current map and many more features.

Check out this thread for the top-of-the-line unit Discover Media retrofit

Also, the RCD 330 is a popular choice.
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag
    The latest and LAST map is $175 and I found that you cant reload the map thats in it over the top of itself has to be an older or newer one.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    The latest and LAST map is $175 and I found that you cant reload the map thats in it over the top of itself has to be an older or newer one.
    It looks like there is no map in the unit.
    @GerardR how long have you had the car? Did the RNS work ok until recently? What event occurred prior to the map not displaying (if any event at all - service, friend did a random VCDS scan maybe and 'fiddled' with the unit)?
    Needs more background info first.
    MY16 Touareg 4.2Lt V8 TDI/Pure White LED lightbox/REDARC Brake Controller/ Racechip/iDrive Throttle controller
    2008 GOLF .:R32/5DR DBPE DSG/SUNROOF/RNS510/PRIVACY TINT/CONTI SC3s/MILLTEK CATBACK NON-RES/9W2 BT/"MYR-032"

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks everyone for the advice and links.

@FJ Steve - had the car for more than eight years, RNS worked without any issues until last week when it asked for the navigation DVD. Did vcds scan to enable secret menu and hence noticed the above issues.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GerardR View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice and links.

@FJ Steve - had the car for more than eight years, RNS worked without any issues until last week when it asked for the navigation DVD. Did vcds scan to enable secret menu and hence noticed the above issues.
    did you get my PM?
    MY16 Touareg 4.2Lt V8 TDI/Pure White LED lightbox/REDARC Brake Controller/ Racechip/iDrive Throttle controller
    2008 GOLF .:R32/5DR DBPE DSG/SUNROOF/RNS510/PRIVACY TINT/CONTI SC3s/MILLTEK CATBACK NON-RES/9W2 BT/"MYR-032"

Quote Originally Posted by FJ Steve View Post
    did you get my PM?
    Thank you Steve for your Help.
    In the mean time I tried to reload the firmware (version 6276) hoping that it would reformat the hard drive and that would allow me to load the maps afterwards. Firmware loaded to about 6% of HDD update before failing with an error (pic uploaded).
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet

From what I can gather on the internet this unit has already an ssd HDD installed.
    Now I have a non functioning unit asking for the SWL disc.
    Last edited by GerardR; 12-09-2023 at 01:36 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Did you burn the disc at the lowest possible speed?

SSDs can still fail; that drive is nearly 10 years old now. The part number for the 6xxx units should be 3c0a104005

Pulling the drive out and checking its health in a PC would be an option to test it.
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Okay guys,
    just an update on the above. I replaced the SSD in the unit today and to my dismay I am still getting the same error message ( ERROR -HDDD - ERROR writing file).
    Does anyone have a copy of SW6276 ?

Users Country Flag

2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500