Page 22 of 55 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing RNS 510 with RCD 330+

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by edpolis View Post
    The actual unit with OEM Android Auto is 6RF 035 187C o 6RF 035 187E:

Review: R340G head-unit in my Polo GT TSI - Team-BHP

The one sold by Crngiar is a hacked 187B (that came originally with Apple Carplay only). I bought one of those and had the same bugs, ended up returning it.
    After the FW upgrade, mine is bug free now, AFAIK.

I wonder if we can upgrade units wothout Android Auto to the same FW version.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by RecZero View Post
    After the FW upgrade, mine is bug free now, AFAIK.

I wonder if we can upgrade units wothout Android Auto to the same FW version.
    I was wondering the same... The only question is if it can be upgraded using a USB drive, not a special flashing tool. I could try flashing the firmware on a stock 187B I have.
    Last edited by edpolis; 18-11-2017 at 07:45 AM.

Users Country Flag
    I was wondering the same... The only question is if it can be upgraded using a USB drive, not a special flashing tool. I could try flashing the firmware on a stock 187B I have.
    I'm currently unable to send PMs. My phone only access the mobile version of this page, and I could not find a way to send them. If you PM me I can reply with the link.

The HW version of my unit is 540. Which version is yours?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by RecZero View Post
    I'm currently unable to send PMs. My phone only access the mobile version of this page, and I could not find a way to send them. If you PM me I can reply with the link.

The HW version of my unit is 540. Which version is yours?
    PM sent. Thanks!

My device HW version is 534, SW version 5314.

Users Country Flag
    Update:

It is not possible to upgrade a stock 187B with the AA firmware via USB. When trying to update, the message 'Error: variant conflict' appears.

Thanks to RecZero for providing the firmware for the test.

Users Country Flag
    Update:

It is not possible to upgrade a stock 187B with the AA firmware via USB. When trying to update, the message 'Error: variant conflict' appears.

Thanks to RecZero for providing the firmware for the test.
    Too bad you couldn't update yours.

I am planning to test CarPlay with this new firmware with my GF's iPhone soon. So far so good with AA.

Sorted - cheers!
    Also...back to red.

Received my Crngiar 'R340' this morning ordered from Ali Express and installed it in about 10 minutes!

Can confirm it's a 187B unit with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay (and Mirrorlink). All works perfectly aside from AM radio, so it must have the improved firmware already on it. Sound quality at least on a par if not better than the Bosch RCD510 it replaced. My Samsung S8+ was picked straight up and all worked well streaming Spotify, "OK Google" navigating and replying to Facebook Messenger messages using voice while driving.

I didn't bother wiring in the composite reverse camera today, will tackle that another time. I just unplugged my quadlock and antenna leads from the RCD510 and put them straight on the new unit using the dual to single antenna adapter included with the new one. I'll have a look with VCDS later to see what shows up and turn off my old bluetooth hardware as the phone still connects to it.

My unit revisions are HW 534 and SW 5314.

Got into VCDS last night to check out the changes. The headunit is recognised by VCDS 17.8, I used it to turn the rear view camera off due to not using it at the moment. Options for speaker configuration are all there, it was using the same settings as the RCD510 had so I just left these alone.

The RCD510 media player (iPod connectivity in the centre console etc) had to be turned off using the installation list on the CAN gateway, easy enough. Only way to truly disable the factory installed bluetooth is to unplug it. I just reached under the drivers seat and disconnected it. This obviously removes the phone menu from the MDI.

One interesting item which may point to the true age of some of these units was discovered though. The headunit had an error code from a power or CAN disconnection at 27000km, my car has 110000+ on it. Could be a relic from hacked firmware though.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

Just wanted to post a big thanks to everyone in this thread for their insights and information. Recently replaced my RNS510 with the 330+ and the whole process was very simple and I’m loving the extra functionality CarPlay gives me.

I’m also experiencing a few minor bugs with the volume fader settings not being remembered but it sounds like a firmware update might be on the cards in the near future from what others are posting (I’m on HW 534 SW 5314).

Page 22 of 55 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast