Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPod connectivity

Users Country Flag

iPod connectivity

I recently test drove two GTIs one had just the 3.5mm auxiliary input in the centre console box and the other had an additional conector with what looked like an iPod cable attached. Is this the iPod or MDI option that VW offer?

Users Country Flag
    The MDI option includes a proprietary connector into which you plug either the included USB adaptor for thumbdrives etc or the sometimes optional sometimes included iPod adaptor.
    Pepper Grey MY11 TIGUAN 125 TSI DSG | APR Stage 1 | Comfort Pack | Carpet Mats | MDI | BT | Tint | Custom Audio

I think the default connector is USB unless you ask the dealer nicely early enough for the iPod one. Worst case if you buy the other adaptor off ebay for ~$30, but you need the MDI option first.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    OK I understand now.

Users Country Flag
    I installed an MDI kit in my GTI the other day, was relatively simple, hardest part was being careful pulling the dash apart!
    MY09 MkV BMP 3dr GTI manual

Good work. I never quite got mine working 100% properly (can use a USB stick but the iPod adapter doesn't work properly, and the existing aux jack no longer works). Which instructions did you use?

Users Country Flag
    Yeah? I have only got a usb lead at the moment, ipod on the way so we'll see.. I didnt use any, the loom supplied seemed simple enough and when I got the unit out it all went together easy.
    MY09 MkV BMP 3dr GTI manual

I've got two piggy back looms (9W3 bluetooth first, then MDI) so a wire's probably hit a dead end somewhere or the coding isn't perfect. Doesn't bother me since I don't own any Apple stuff but there's a few times a passenger may ask about it.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Is MDI only of benefit for iPods and iPhones?

I use it with a usb stick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast