Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: iPod cable issue

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

So I changed the auxiliary level from medium to low and attached the iPod but no go. Then I switched to FM and back to MEDIA and hey presto the head unit showed the track details and the iPod screen displayed 'connected accessories' (or something like that). I can hear the audio perfectly well and control the play from the car.
    Thanks for everyone's help.

No worries. I know that I've set mine to High ages ago when I first got the car and once had issues when a passenger connected their iPod (I'm an IT guy and somewhat anti-Apple). After reading that suggestion months ago I've still never got around to making that adjustment and trying it out

The MDI aux in input level always seems to do the trick eventually.

And for others who are reading this - just because your sound may works via USB cable/thumb drive doesn't mean it'll work via an apple device. So be sure to check this setting if connecting an iPod, and try switching your head unit off and back on after making the change.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Do you have MDI and AUX Adam?

I just borrowed an old iPod which worked fine with the input volume setting set to low, but ever since I've retrofitted the MDI my AUX has stopped working. I've even purchased the MDI to 3.5mm AUX adapter but that doesn't work either. Must be either a coding or wiring issue. Do you have any VCDS settings that I could perhaps look at? Feel free to PM instead.

Users Country Flag
    I believe it's a wiring issue.

If memory serves me correct, the MDI and AUX require the same pin-outs at the back of the radio.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Yeah, I thought they use the same as well, but I figured that the MDI-3.5mm cable should still work since the USB and iPod work. So perhaps a coding change is needed for that bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    Do you have MDI and AUX Adam?
    Sorry, my bad with the terminology here.

Yes, I have MDI and the standard 3.5mm aux jack (which comes on every Golf AFAIK), but I've never tested the 3.5mm. Just to clarify, I was referring earlier to the MDI input level that you can adjust via the head unit, that affects the MDI input from Apple devices.

Does it actually say MDI Level in your setup screen? Mine only says AUX input level, which when changed to Low enabled the iPhone to sound correct via MDI. All Golf's do in fact have an AUX-In jack and mine did work prior to my installing the MDI. I guess with 2 piggy-back harnesses going to the quadlock connector (MDI + Bluetooth) I guess something was bound to go wrong. Maybe I should order a new 9W7 to replace the 9W3 so that I have more motivation to pull out the HU again.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I have to say how impressed I am with the standard head unit in my 2010 GTI. A league above the one in my WRX hatch. It's great to be able to see more than 12 letters of the mp3 metadata, navigate through folders, track through the radio frequencies without having to switch from auto seek to manual and that beautiful touch screen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    Does it actually say MDI Level in your setup screen? Mine only says AUX input level, which when changed to Low enabled the iPhone to sound correct via MDI.
    Hmm, good question. I'll check and let you know, but chances are it says the same thing yours does, and my memory is faulty.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123