Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 4S - will it work with rSAP premium bluetooth?

Users Country Flag

iPhone 4S - will it work with rSAP premium bluetooth?

As the title suggests, I am looking for a new phone. Traditionally I have been a big Android fan, however keeping my options open and the possibility of moving to the dark side (Apple) is always there. However, if a particular phone will not work with my bluetooth rSAP then it is completely useless to me as I spend a lot of time on the phone in my car between meetings etc. Has anyone got an iPhone 4S which works with their rSAP bluetooth or know of anyone who has?

I recently went into the Apple store to try and find out whether the iPhone 4S will be compatible with VW rSAP bluetooth. The guy there was happy to tell me how brilliant the iPhone 4S is, and how it's got the latest version of bluetooth so it should work. I said to him "does it have rSAP or can it be made rSAP compatible, because none of the iPhones to date have it and are not compatible with the bluetooth in my car", which he couldn't give me an answer. He went and asked the manager, who (quite predictably) said rSAP is old obsolete technology with very limited functionality and no one uses it anymore so Apple have never bothered to support it. So then I asked him whether he thought Audi, Volkwagen, Porsche, Skoda and Mercedes Benz typically used old obsolete technology with very limited functionality, to which he could not give an answer, and I hope it made him feel like a twat in front of the group of other customers. I get that Apple do things a little differently and they have some good ideas and cool products, but it sh*ts me to tears when they just bag out everything else simply because it's not on the list of things they pick and choose to support.
    His: F22 BMW M240i Coupe Hers: F56 Mini Cooper S JCW
    Previous:
    His:MY16 Scirocco R DSG - HP Stage 1, Racingline springs, RamAir CAI, MY11 Golf GTI Adidas DSG, APR st1, Carbonio Stage 1+2 intake, S2TPP shifters Hers: MY16 Polo GTI DSG, MY12 VW Up! 3 door manual

no, the iPhone 4S doesn't support rSAP, but which bluetooth module do you have in your car? if it's the 9WZ, then the iPhone will connect, but will only function at a 9W7 level, eg no SMS, but calls, and music streaming will still work, if that's the case do you ever actually send SMS's via the RNS/RCD?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobes_WIR35 View Post
    As the title suggests, I am looking for a new phone. Traditionally I have been a big Android fan, however keeping my options open and the possibility of moving to the dark side (Apple) is always there. However, if a particular phone will not work with my bluetooth rSAP then it is completely useless to me as I spend a lot of time on the phone in my car between meetings etc. Has anyone got an iPhone 4S which works with their rSAP bluetooth or know of anyone who has?

I recently went into the Apple store to try and find out whether the iPhone 4S will be compatible with VW rSAP bluetooth. The guy there was happy to tell me how brilliant the iPhone 4S is, and how it's got the latest version of bluetooth so it should work. I said to him "does it have rSAP or can it be made rSAP compatible, because none of the iPhones to date have it and are not compatible with the bluetooth in my car", which he couldn't give me an answer. He went and asked the manager, who (quite predictably) said rSAP is old obsolete technology with very limited functionality and no one uses it anymore so Apple have never bothered to support it. So then I asked him whether he thought Audi, Volkwagen, Porsche, Skoda and Mercedes Benz typically used old obsolete technology with very limited functionality, to which he could not give an answer, and I hope it made him feel like a twat in front of the group of other customers. I get that Apple do things a little differently and they have some good ideas and cool products, but it sh*ts me to tears when they just bag out everything else simply because it's not on the list of things they pick and choose to support.
    What's your current phone? And if Android what sw version?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jameshero View Post
    no, the iPhone 4S doesn't support rSAP, but which bluetooth module do you have in your car? if it's the 9WZ, then the iPhone will connect, but will only function at a 9W7 level, eg no SMS, but calls, and music streaming will still work, if that's the case do you ever actually send SMS's via the RNS/RCD?
    +1. it will work in the usual/standard bluetooth HFP (hands free protocol) mode instead.

apple will never implement the rsap bluetooth protocol in any of their products because the rsap is a nokia speciality.
    don't expect any love childs with these two giants!!

as soon as my iphone contract is over, i'm heading over to htc/samsung/nokia world.
    .....before apple bans them all!!!
    Last edited by dArK5HaD0w; 24-10-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

My understanding with rSAP is that it kinda predated before phones had bigger internal memory and when most people kept their contacts all on the SIM. Correct me if I'm wrong, I've not done that for at least 6 yrs that I can recall. I've had my iPhone connect ok to Audi systems and pull over all the contacts as well as the Current Holden System, and a few other random hire cars.

With a 4S any old bluetooth system will let you send messages by voice, make an appointment, etc etc. Its not hype either I've been doing it for about 5 days though and it works fine.

I wouldn't stress too much about BT in cars because it still looks like in Oz we aren't far off all phone calls while driving being banned completely.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dArK5HaD0w View Post
    +1.

as soon as my iphone contract is over, i'm heading over to htc/samsung/nokia world.
    .....before apple bans them all!!!
    We have a problem with HTC Desire (android) in RS Octavia (my daughter’s fiance’), it hardly ever connects and when it does it's not able to make a call via BT. My 1 month old BlackBerry works flawlessly.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I have a HTC Desire. To get it to work properly with my premium bluetooth, I had to root the OS (Clockworkmod7) and install the "rSAP for Android" app from the market. Works perfectly now.

What I would like to do is get a operational iPhone 4S and just trial it in the car to see if/how it works.

I truly believe the Samsung Galaxy S2 is the best phone on the market at the moment though, so see what happens I guess....
    Previous:
    His:MY16 Scirocco R DSG - HP Stage 1, Racingline springs, RamAir CAI, MY11 Golf GTI Adidas DSG, APR st1, Carbonio Stage 1+2 intake, S2TPP shifters Hers: MY16 Polo GTI DSG, MY12 VW Up! 3 door manual

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes_WIR35 View Post
    I truly believe the Samsung Galaxy S2 is the best phone on the market at the moment though, so see what happens I guess....
    Not sure about the 'best', but it is the best seller at the moment.
    MKV Golf 2.0 TDI DSG Sportline. Just nice.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by stickshift3000 View Post
    Not sure about the 'best', but it is the best seller at the moment.
    ended up going with the Samsung Galaxy S2. It is phenomenally good in every way. I can't find a phone with better specs. It is so fast it's ridiculous, 1.2GHz dual core processor with 1GB ram - it's better than my site laptop. With 27 apps running the processor was only at 38% capacity. Plus it's got Vlingo which is like Siri, and works just as well, if not better. The only thing iPhone has over it (in my opinion) is iTunes, but I have an iPod which stays in the car, so not an issue. Android Market is getting close to the AppStore in quality and quantity of apps, and certainly all the big ones are there (the ones that I actually use).
    Previous:

Users Country Flag

I'm glad it works for you, thanks for letting us know, I will pass your feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast