Support VWWC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: iPod cable issue

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

There's one advertised with a lifetime warranty - does VW provide that?

Quote Originally Posted by MovieDude View Post
    Don't want to spend $80 for something that offers little benefit over a USB thumb drive. Just wish it was working. eBay showing $20 seems reasonable.
    If the MDI connection is like other iPod connections, it should offer a digital output from the iPod to the head unit's DAC.

I find most USB thumb drives only offer MP3/WMA compatibility, maybe WAV. But I use AIFF on my iPod/iPhone and it is noticeably better quality than MP3/WMA. So for me, the iPod connectivity is important.

BTW does anyone know if the MDI/iPod cable disables the UI of the iPod ie you have to control the playlist etc using the RCD or can you still use the iPod to navigate

If you want to use the iPod UI then connect it via AUX 3.5mm cable. I think a VW logo shows on the iPod when you connect it, the idea (or feature) is that can control the iPod via the HU/MFSW

Quote Originally Posted by DoggieHowser View Post
    If the MDI connection is like other iPod connections, it should offer a digital output from the iPod to the head unit's DAC.

I find most USB thumb drives only offer MP3/WMA compatibility, maybe WAV. But I use AIFF on my iPod/iPhone and it is noticeably better quality than MP3/WMA.
    Interesting. I thought the MDI unit would take the source audio as is and play through the head unit. If the USB thumb drive contains digital then it plays digital. Likewise for a connected iPod. I can't compare USB thumb drives and iPods because my cable is faulty but my mp3s sound good running off the little drives.

I've read here before that the MDI streams audio to the HU (which is why you can't copy files from USB to the RNS510) so quality should be pretty much be on par.

The thing is the iPhone DAC isn't fantastic. So an AUX connection would be stuck using the not so great DAC on the phone. A good head unit like the Alpine can take a digital connection from the iPod and send it through to the hopefully better quality DAC inside. And with lossless audio, it should sound closer to the CD.

Quote Originally Posted by DoggieHowser View Post
    The thing is the iPhone DAC isn't fantastic. So an AUX connection would be stuck using the not so great DAC on the phone. A good head unit like the Alpine can take a digital connection from the iPod and send it through to the hopefully better quality DAC inside. And with lossless audio, it should sound closer to the CD.
    AFAIK, the Apple proprietary connector still passes the audio to the head unit in analogue form, and it still utilises the DACs in the iPod or iPhone. Here's the pinout showing the left and right channels. The control mechanism is, obviously, still digital.

MovieDude, I take it you've checked the Input Level for the MDI on the head unit? For Apple devices it needs to be set to Low from memory, and if set to other values can cause distortion and possibly no sound at all.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

I tested with the USB cable and a thumb drive then switched out for the iPod cable and player. Volume level was unchanged and I couldn't hear a thing. At 50% volume and higher I get a tinny hiss that sounds like the track being played. Unplugging the iPod and pressing play again (because it pauses on disconnection) the track plays fine through the internal speaker.

Somewhere in the Tone or Setup menu there's an option for AUX-IN input volume which can be set to Low, Medium or High. This might be what Adam is referring to.

Cheers will check later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast