Support VWWC

Thread: Help with Battery Leak (sick of it)

Angry Help with Battery Leak (sick of it)

Hi gang,

I have a 2009 GT TDI, it has been going great for the past 4 years however I have always had issues with the battery. I have had my battery replaced 3 times now, yet it still seems to drain and every week or month I will have at least one start-up that struggles.

This has caused my Dual Mass Flywheel to degrade, my starter motor to degrade, and I have never been able to solve it.

I have taken it to a mechanic and asked before, and they said it was the glove box light, I unplugged it and yet still have the issues.

What is the best way to track this down?
    I do have:
    - An RNS-510, when I installed it I made sure I had the right can-bus module version, but to check, what should it be?
    - A subwoofer and amp wired to the back of the RNS-510, I have unplugged this from the battery and still have the issue.

Can anyone help me? I am scared to take it to another mechanic, spend so much money, and come out no where, and I don't want to spend another $300 on a battery.

v

Users Country Flag
    You need to get a multimeter and check the current draw in both the fuse boxes with the car on accessories, and then again with the car off.
    Hopefully that will help you narrow it down.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    You need to get a multimeter and check the current draw in both the fuse boxes with the car on accessories, and then again with the car off.
    Hopefully that will help you narrow it down.
    Would you know anyone in Melbourne with a multimeter that I could test with?

Quote Originally Posted by vraptor View Post
    Other things to note:
    • When the car struggles to start, it creates other issues, EG. the automatic windows (one press to close) doesn't work, i have to push them and hold to close
    • The audio and RNS won't turn off after taking out key, and I can't lock the car until it has turned off
    • Car takes a few more seconds to turn on

Those issues like the window are signs of a dead battery. The RNS not turning off points to me that it will likely have been the cause of your issues, sounds like its not turning off when it should. Bad coding maybe or whatever harness you used.

Users Country Flag
    You can buy one for about $20 that will be good enough to do the job

Unplug the RNS Charge the battery and see what happens.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    You can buy one for about $20 that will be good enough to do the job

Unplug the RNS Charge the battery and see what happens.
    Thanks will ask some friends, is there an easy way to disconnect the RNS, or do I have to take out the dash again

Users Country Flag

Thanks will ask some friends, is there an easy way to disconnect the RNS, or do I have to take out the dash again
    Take the fuse out.
    Check the manual to determine which fuse in the interior fuse box is responsible for the radio.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500