Page 26 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: DNS series head unit (new generation dual core RNS-510 alternative)

Users Country Flag

I feel your pain. I started off on a 4 day driving holiday today with my new 'production' replacement unit in the car which aside from a couple of random freezes (reset fine though), until now has been working perfectly. About 5 hours into todays drive while using the Nav plus listening to Pandora through my girlfriend's iPhone 4S (IOS7) plugged into the ipod port, the whole screen froze and started to fade out. I pressed both knobs to reset the unit like normal, but now all that happens when it turns on is I get a blank white screen. Nothing else. I tried resetting the power with the key to no avail. The only other thing I can think to try short of a reflash (which is not an option considering I'm 500kms from home) is pulling the radio fuse. If it does not come good I have to say I'm going to be seriously unimpressed spending the next 3 days in the car with no music... unless Sandy or anyone has something else I can try?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Fdandy View Post
    Does it power down if you hold both round dials down? That normally resets it

Sent from my LG-E975K using Tapatalk
    Tried that and it wouldn't shut down(did it many times with the 810)
    I had to pull the fuse.
    MKV Sportsline Soot Belcher
    MKV Jetta FSI DSG

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Goobz View Post
    I feel your pain. I started off on a 4 day driving holiday today with my new 'production' replacement unit in the car which aside from a couple of random freezes (reset fine though), until now has been working perfectly. About 5 hours into todays drive while using the Nav plus listening to Pandora through my girlfriend's iPhone 4S (IOS7) plugged into the ipod port, the whole screen froze and started to fade out. I pressed both knobs to reset the unit like normal, but now all that happens when it turns on is I get a blank white screen. Nothing else. I tried resetting the power with the key to no avail. The only other thing I can think to try short of a reflash (which is not an option considering I'm 500kms from home) is pulling the radio fuse. If it does not come good I have to say I'm going to be seriously unimpressed spending the next 3 days in the car with no music... unless Sandy or anyone has something else I can try?
    Worst part is I sent the 810 back yesterday.
    Should have kept it in case the 610 ****s itself.
    At least I knew what I could and couldn't do with the 810.
    Last edited by asa572; 18-04-2014 at 09:37 PM.
    MKV Jetta FSI DSG

Quote Originally Posted by chrislewis85 View Post
    RVC works fine the first time after I start the car, but then subsequent reversing it doesn't work. Unit is picking up reverse signal from CAN as it pauses SD playback when engaging reverse, but the screen doesn't change to camera input. The other unit received at same time does exactly the same thing in my mates mk6.

Wierd, thought it was odd that certain devices weren't working. Might try a reflash/factory reset on my unit tonight and see if it wakes up.
    Further update to this - it turns out my RVC had bitten the dust - by coincidence exactly at the time I fitted my DNS810. Assuming water has got in it as it was intermittent and now doesn't work at all. Hooked up a new camera to isolate the fault and it works perfectly every time (as you stated your unit does moda). The mk6 doesn't have a camera connected - it shows the blank camera screen once after a default restore but then doesn't show it again if it doesn't get a signal - mine was obviously confused due to bad signal / water ingress on the camera.

The Mrs' iPhone 4 has suddenly started working fine after DNS software reflash - but the 4th gen iPod nano doesnt work at all, just doesn't detect.

Does anyone have one of these units in a Mk6? - We are experiencing some CAN related oddities on the 6 that don't occur on the 5.

Users Country Flag
    I have one question, is the latest MPU on this thread compatible with the DNS610? IF i want to update just that, shall i put only the upd plus the MPU file?

Users Country Flag
    Ok so to update on this. Pulled the fuse. No dice...

In one last desperate attempt I managed to buy an SD card reader and a cheap flash drive and borrowed the hotels pc. The only SD card I have is the nav one so I backed up the iGo files to the thumb drive, formatted the card and loaded the latest firmware onto it. The coloured writing screen came up(hooray I thought), went through the first part where it wipes the flash and then froze before the write part could start and the whole screen faded out to a streaky grey colour and stayed there for ages leaving me no choice but to kill the power eventually. Now not even the coloured writing screen comes up. Just a blank white one. Im guessing that there's a dud flash chip or something in there somewhere causing the thing but either way I'm stuck with a house brick sitting in the dashboard of my silent, musicless car for the next 2 days of my holiday.

Thankfully I haven't had time to send the initial unit back yet. I'll have to swap them over (again) and send Sandy back this POS so he can get it back to AS. God knows when another one will get sent out. Truth be told the BT audio quality was pretty much the same as the 1st unit anyway (rubbish) which is the reason for the replacement in the first place.

I have to say I had hope for a while there with my last unit working well short of a few small things and the BT sound issue, but since this happening with one of the finalised 'production' units I dont have a much left any more. This thing is supposedly brand new and failed in 3 days. What does that say about the quality of these things? How will they be faring in 2 years when Sandys warranty expires? With the amount of trouble AS are having getting a working reliable unit to market what am I supposed to be left thinking? I hope Sandy can resolve this. Mainly for his sake (and his businesses) because I know it is not his fault and he will get left high and dry as much as we do in the end if it all falls over. I have to say I'm feeling pretty seriously disillusioned with the whole thing right now...

[/RANT]

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I have posted the latest firmware in the first post, please check for the update.

There has been some UI changes to make things more consistent with the OEM look. SD / nav still has the song change issue but I can't get it to stutter when I was testing it. The final SD / nav fix should be released with the next version around the end of the month, I'll keep pushing the techs through the week.

This latest update is compatible with both the DNS 810 and 610. The MCU is from January 22 which is the latest barring the February DNS-810 specific update that fixed any key press issues. If you have that update you do not need to update the MCU in the April version.

Ok so to update on this. Pulled the fuse. No dice...

In one last desperate attempt I managed to buy an SD card reader and a cheap flash drive and borrowed the hotels pc. The only SD card I have is the nav one so I backed up the iGo files to the thumb drive, formatted the card and loaded the latest firmware onto it. The coloured writing screen came up(hooray I thought), went through the first part where it wipes the flash and then froze before the write part could start and the whole screen faded out to a streaky grey colour and stayed there for ages leaving me no choice but to kill the power eventually. Now not even the coloured writing screen comes up. Just a blank white one. Im guessing that there's a dud flash chip or something in there somewhere causing the thing but either way I'm stuck with a house brick sitting in the dashboard of my silent, musicless car for the next 2 days of my holiday.

Thankfully I haven't had time to send the initial unit back yet. I'll have to swap them over (again) and send Sandy back this POS so he can get it back to AS. God knows when another one will get sent out. Truth be told the BT audio quality was pretty much the same as the 1st unit anyway (rubbish) which is the reason for the replacement in the first place.

I have to say I had hope for a while there with my last unit working well short of a few small things and the BT sound issue, but since this happening with one of the finalised 'production' units I dont have a much left any more. This thing is supposedly brand new and failed in 3 days. What does that say about the quality of these things? How will they be faring in 2 years when Sandys warranty expires? With the amount of trouble AS are having getting a working reliable unit to market what am I supposed to be left thinking? I hope Sandy can resolve this. Mainly for his sake (and his businesses) because I know it is not his fault and he will get left high and dry as much as we do in the end if it all falls over. I have to say I'm feeling pretty seriously disillusioned with the whole thing right now...

[/RANT]
    A replacement production 810 will be shipped out to you tomorrow.

Obviously issues like this are not normal and not common, and I'm happy to do a replacement to make sure you have a properly working unit. At the end of the day just let me know if your unit is not working as it should, both myself and AS will uphold warranties and you definitely won't be left high and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by asa572 View Post
    Tried that and it wouldn't shut down(did it many times with the 810)
    I had to pull the fuse.
    Please update to the latest firmware that I have just posted in the first post of this thread. What you describe sounds like an issue that used to occur on older firmware.
    TR 08 Golf GT TDI, Custom Code Phase 1, Milltek Exhaust, Whiteline RSB + ALK, APR Carbonio Intake

Users Country Flag
    Just installed the latest firmware and all I can say is WTF were they thinking?
    They must have dropped some serious acid while developing that sh^t.
    That new setup menu is totally f@#ked up.
    And the RED HIGHLIGHTS, ahhhhhhh it hurts my eyes! < seriously it does
    Don't worry about masturbating making you go blind.
    Driving your Golf with an AS head unit will make you go blind faster.

And yes, I had the brightness on the lowest setting.
    MKV Jetta FSI DSG

Just installed, upgrade went smoothly.

iPod nano 4th gen still not recognised, will see on drive home later what else has changed/not changed.

Haven't got my iGo SD card with me so will test CPU performance tomorrow.

Are the red highlights that different? They've changed the layout from 2 columns to 1 column in setup menu, but doesn't look all that different otherwise.

Sandy - any official changelog from AS?

Users Country Flag

Can you guys show some pictures to decide wether to go or not to go with this new firmware?

Page 26 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast