Thread: Custom Sub enclosure for MK7 GTI Boot - worklog

Users Country Flag

Custom Sub enclosure for MK7 GTI Boot - worklog

Hi,

Some time back I was on here discussing audio options and their were few decent options around for the MK7 that didn't force a lot of compromise.

1. OEM choices suck.

2. After market options were unreliable as VW uses about 9 manufacturers for audio and the specs seem quite loose (all use the same part numbers too so it's really pot luck).

3. No low level outputs are available - only high level.

I decided stage one of my upgrade would be the following:

1. Improve front stage - clarity and dynamics
    2. Improved bass reinforcement.
    3. reduced vehicle interference.
    4. Have OEM operation and appearance.

To that end I have:

1. installed a Mosconi DSP and 4CH amp to the front splits, feeding a separate amp for my sub.
    2. treated door panels and the rear of the vehicle from the front seats back, to reduce exhaust drone, tyre noise and general road noise.
    3. Constructed a sub to fit in the rear spare tyre and space created where the boot floor is fitte4d in the 'upper' position.

The outcome was achieved and I am very happy with the improvement in the quality of audio and vehicle noise. The speakers are a limiting factor now however I have not felt a need to spend more $ at this time. The DSP offset some of the harshness that irritated me and at my listening levels the real flaws are not exposed.

The stock eq (if any) is ****e in this car.

This is a worklog of my Custom enclosure. The original thread crashed while writing it so I'll add more as I go and answer questions.... just wanted to get some images in to show people you can have a full size 10" sub in place with full size spare and no loss of boot space (Boot floor in upper position).

1. tyre flipped over and cut lock nut down to minimum height.
    Custom Sub enclosure for MK7 GTI Boot - worklog-396-jpg

2. Rear of car from front seats back and internals of doors treated with dynamat, and insulation/loaded vinyl to reduce exhaust resonance and panel resonance. (don't mind the water from wiping down stuff!).

Custom Sub enclosure for MK7 GTI Boot - worklog-404-jpg

3. Taped out inside of tyre and used hairspray as separator for the fiberglass (ended up doing it out of vehicle though so the lining was not required in the end). The plastic was to prevent fumes and spillage but once I had the MDF base produced with cutout I could just rest it on the tyre and fiberglass.

This was my first project fibre-glassing but I do a lot of building with other composites so with a little practice I felt I could get it done. There are some professional Tafe videos online too that can be accessed through youtube . Most car audio DIY videos are terrible with techniques when compared with professional instruction ironically so beware what you watch I guess!

Custom Sub enclosure for MK7 GTI Boot - worklog-397-jpg

Laying in the fibreglass and removing excess. I'm sure a pro would laugh his arse off at this but for my structural needs it is just fine
    Custom Sub enclosure for MK7 GTI Boot - worklog-399-jpg

Custom Sub enclosure for MK7 GTI Boot - worklog-400-jpg

Top plate installed with some small internal bracing and routed cutout for the sub (depth created with allowance for the full excursion of the cone and surround also includes the thickness of the MDF floor given the grill sits at the top of that..... space was at a premium).

Custom Sub enclosure for MK7 GTI Boot - worklog-409-jpg

The Sub used: IMAGE DYNAMICS IDQ10D2-V.4

Installed enclosure. Note the MDF floor with some carpet strips to prevent vibration. The grill was a temp install and I have swapped it out with one providing far greater free air flow. The sub enclosure is the perfect height for the floor to rest on in the closed position with carpet in place.

Note the darker colour. I used glass resin with a small amount of acetone to thin it and painted the entire enclosure to water-proof it. All joins were glued and screwed so I didn't need this as filler to make the enclosure airtight.

Custom Sub enclosure for MK7 GTI Boot - worklog-416-jpg

This is the floor in place. Carpet was choking the sub more than I wanted so I have since done a cutout and have a different grill arrangement that sits over it.

Custom Sub enclosure for MK7 GTI Boot - worklog-415-jpg

Since completing the build I decided I needed some more space under the floor so I shortened the enclosure by cutting off one end (about 100mm on the Right side in the image above) and attached a new flat panel end - glued, screwed, routed to shape and painted with resin. Function over a polished finish at this point and it is still in the optimal range for enclosure volume so the sub is performing great .
    Last edited by JustCruisn; 18-12-2016 at 04:38 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Massive kudos to you, looks clean. Am sure it would sound awesome. Just curious if you have read much about the audison upgrade for the mk7?

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi Polar B.

I did look at the Audison equipment (Helix is made by them as well) last year when I actually did this install - I just decided to update my progress on here after fiddling more recently with the nav etc.

I had a kit sent to me by an Australian reseller and tested it - one frm the "Match" range which are designed for OEM installers with pre-tuned curves for each vehicle model. That's where I discovered the issues of P/N vs manufacturer and spec differences with VW. His plug and pay kit for the golf Mk7 would not fit. The loom was not compatible with the connectors. I cannot verify if it was an error of the kit I was sent or the VW parts being used on the MY15 Mk7.

Additionally their sub would sit in the boot taking up space which was contrary to my plan.

Of interest to me was the pre made looms so no cutting of wires etc and the Match DSP read like a great piece of kit. There were a number of compatibility issues he was finding and the manufacturer was not communicative with him. In fact I managed through direct access to some Audison engineers (the company tries to prevent this I gather?) to get information on pin-outs and config that he wasn't privy to or able to access. I was going to do some car tuning and eval work for him (I have a background in electromagnetics/radiation and audio is a passion.... just not car audio - mainly cinema design ). The kit just proved to be unworkable at that time though so I sent it and the calibration kit back and turned to a more custom approach.

The "bit Ten" and its siblings I looked at and they are I think similar to the Mosconi I installed. I just went with a different company for my supplies and install help so that's largely why I went mosconi over the Bit Ten.

Don't drive my thread OT please ... but perhaps have a look here: Audison sound system upgrade for MkVII - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum
    another who did a similar approach here (my gear is under the front passenger seat though and I prefer my sub driver and enclosure volume for the performance I wanted): 2016 GTI S Complete System Overhaul - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

There is also an old thread on this forum of my efforts with the Match Audio and other investigations from last year: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...p/t-98489.html
    Last edited by mgrobins; 18-12-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Lol won't flood your thread, keep up the great work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All good.... happy to chat about my experiences - and hopefully help you and others avoid the pitfalls I found!

Quote Originally Posted by Polar B View Post
    Massive kudos to you, looks clean. Am sure it would sound awesome. Just curious if you have read much about the audison upgrade for the mk7?

How did you go with the options for your audio upgrade? I'm always keen to hear what others have done and how it works out. I'm still very pleased with mine but would consider the next improvement to be replacement of the fronts splits. Unfortunately the head unit processing is a limiting factor that will remain as long as VW use the quality they do and avoid providing low level outputs.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrobins View Post
    How did you go with the options for your audio upgrade? I'm always keen to hear what others have done and how it works out. I'm still very pleased with mine but would consider the next improvement to be replacement of the fronts splits. Unfortunately the head unit processing is a limiting factor that will remain as long as VW use the quality they do and avoid providing low level outputs.
    Got the audison, I've had a few builds in my previous cars, anything from just a sub to a full blown high end unit. For the money, the audison build is spot on for a SQ set-up, sharp, precise and just enough punch.

I listen to a variety of music and the EQ designed for the audison suits all but the loudest SPL tracks, just missing the super low sub frequencies of some rap songs. But certainly enough for most top 40 tracks. But I still retain 100% of my boot space. Yes no spare but I've got a pump and slime. The sub comes out easily if I were going long distances and needed a spare.

I can't recommend it highly enough

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Polar B View Post
    Got the audison, I've had a few builds in my previous cars, anything from just a sub to a full blown high end unit. For the money, the audison build is spot on for a SQ set-up, sharp, precise and just enough punch.

I listen to a variety of music and the EQ designed for the audison suits all but the loudest SPL tracks, just missing the super low sub frequencies of some rap songs. But certainly enough for most top 40 tracks. But I still retain 100% of my boot space. Yes no spare but I've got a pump and slime. The sub comes out easily if I were going long distances and needed a spare.

I can't recommend it highly enough
    Hey Polar, just out of curiosity are you using the Audison sub or something else?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk