Page 3 of 149 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: ANS-810 / ANS-510 (PROPER RNS-510 alternative)

Users Country Flag

Hi

Few more questions, is the H-Unit compatible with the factory Dynaudio systems?

and

If you are taking requests with the skins, any chance of Passat wagon? (which i think is more popular than the sedan in Europe and Oz anyway...with and without sunroof is probably stretching the friendship ) and as mentioned Tiguan etc.

Having a Gap Year!!!!
    what next?... what next?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by FSI 220 View Post
    Hi

Few more questions, is the H-Unit compatible with the factory Dynaudio systems?

and

If you are taking requests with the skins, any chance of Passat wagon? (which i think is more popular than the sedan in Europe and Oz anyway...with and without sunroof is probably stretching the friendship ) and as mentioned Tiguan etc.
    I am not aware of any special connection required for the Dynaudio systems. They are built in at the factory so I assume it is designed to be compatible with the RNS-510, with the same pins configuration as the stock system. If that is the case then it will be compatible, they are just speakers after all, shouldn't need extra mojo

As for extra models, I can certainly request and as usual any updates can be easily implemented in the future via SD card flash, but no matter how friendly I am with the techs it won't change the fact that the focus for Audiosources right now is on developing some exciting advanced features... These guys work really hard, I have the tech chatting to me regularly at home when it's past 10PM local time!
    TR 08 Golf GT TDI, Custom Code Phase 1, Milltek Exhaust, Whiteline RSB + ALK, APR Carbonio Intake

Users Country Flag
    I have the older AS7609 unit in the wife's MkV.
    Apart from some really poor interface design choices (addressed by 'paying homage to' the RNS510 with this new version) and an antenna connection that wasn't properly grounded (easy fix with some electrical tape) the unit has been really good.
    8' screen is great and its very flexible in terms of media compatibility.
    I also got a RCV which works quite well.

As well as the features already covered by DkN, there are some things worth mentioning about the iGo Primo mapping software.
    It has some features which make it much more up to date than the RNS510.

Hope he doesn't mind me pointing these out as I use both the AS7609 and RNS510 fairly regularly:
    - The mapping data can be more up to date as you don't have to wait for VW
    - The maps display much more information on the screen at one time eg names of parks, more street names etc
    - In 3D mode it has landmarks and topographical info eg hills
    - Choice of voices
    - Text to Speech gives you directions like 'Turn left in 300 metres onto Smith Street'
    - Spoken, configurable warnings for alert points like speed cameras, red light cameras etc
    - Fully customizable and skinnable interface for those that want it
    - Search and traffic updates via USB 3G modem (where fitted)

There are probably some other features that are worth pointing out, these are just off the top of my head.

Would be worthwhile posting some comparisons of RNS510 and ANS810 whilst in the same location to show the difference.

PS I'll take my sales commission in beer
    Last edited by kamold; 26-06-2012 at 08:05 AM.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DkN View Post
    Single zone AC controls will not display on the ANS-810. So to clarify, AC controls on-screen will display if you have dual zone AC, and a white MFD.
    Does this actually matter? Aren't the AC controls directly below the radio anyway?? Or have i missed something?

iPod screen will not freeze when connected via iPod cable. Cover art is not displayed on the unit at the moment - it's a possible future software upgrade but I wouldn't hold your breath, the utility/effort scale is pretty low.
    Not sure you've answered my question because I probably didn't ask it properly. I don't like the RCD310 iPod interface. It does not allow me to do things I can do on my iPhone itself ; eg play in random, come to a track and decide to play the whole disk.
    VW have decided to implement an ipod interface that STOPS me from using the iPhone iteself; the screen switches to a logo page.
    I can't see from the videos you've posted a working iPhone interface. Is it the same as the 310 or have they done it properly?

The car selection option has absolutely no effect on compatibility. I believe the option simply lets you choose one of the five available images for the door open display. Compatibility is only affected by physical shape and the CANBUS. In other words, the Tiguan, along with any other red / white MFD vehicles with the RNS/RCD 510 shape, are supported. This does mean cars like the older T5 and new Touareg are not supported due to difference in shape. Compatible vehicles include:
    New Polo
    Golf Mk 5 & 6
    Scirocco
    Touran
    EOS
    Tiguan
    Passat & CC
    Caddy
    Transporter T6
    Touareg <2011

Also for clarification, the unit has 600Mhz ARM11 CPU, with 128mb RAM. As I understand it, GPS is now also handled by the ARM11 CPU.
    Cool

Lastly, the audio. I have been informed all audio outputs are pre-amp. I am not very familiar with sound systems as I have not tinkered with them much myself, but I believe this should mean the outputs are line-level. They are definitely not speaker-level. A picture of the cables are as below, minus the CANBUS connection, GPS antenna and radio antenna (these are included but I left them out in this photo and the unit is now in my car...):
    Now I am confused. My understanding of all VW headunits is that they have amps built in. So the ANS810 must have amps and speaker outputs in order for it to be plug and play??
    The other outputs are line level and are for those instances where you want to use an external amp.
    Can you confirm this?
    If I read you correctly there is ONLY a line level for a sub; no built in amp?

GPS antenna ..... will I have one built into my car?
    Do you supply one?
    Where do I put it?

There is no manual, but diagrams on the unit explain what each pin / connection is. From left to right, the connectors above are:
    USB cable
    iPod cable
    audio / video input & output as I explained in previous post
    input connector for the USB and iPod cable
    So is there an installation manual supplied in the box?

Payments are either by bank transfer or PayPal.
    Please PM me details....I'm getting close to a purchasing decision
    Tiguan MY12 118TSI, white, no frills..... Had ANS810 ... Note the HAD ..... Now got RCD510 supplemented by 7" Android TomTom mounted on a HoldMyPhone .... Upgraded speakers Vibe BlackAir front splits and MBQuartz 12" ported sub driven from Infinity Reference 5350a amp .... oh and added fun

Users Country Flag
    I notice it has a TV selection. Does this apply to Aus? I'm not sure if TV works on any unit, so this is an out there question.
    I'm not really worried if it works or not, just interested. Has anyone got any feedback on one of these units yet? I'm certainly interested. Thanks for answering all the previous questions.
    MkVI GTD fitted with Bluetooth & MDI, CSG, DSG, Xenons, RNS510 with Dynaudio, ACC, Weathershields, Mudflaps, Sunroof, LED Tails, LED Indicators, LED Foglights, Interior LEDs, Tinted, RVC and Towbar - Gosford.

can someone please post a picture of this unit installed in the car? just to get the idea how it looks on dash..
    thanks in advance..
    2018 MK7.5 Lapiz Wolf Wagon with Roof

Quote Originally Posted by whiskywallah View Post
    Does this actually matter? Aren't the AC controls directly below the radio anyway?? Or have i missed something?
    You're right, it doesn't matter, it's just an additional feature much like the door display on screen (you do have MFD for that anyway).

Regarding the 5 different models, my tech guy just confirmed it is currently NOT used for door display, but for reversing. When they have time in between other developments they are currently working on, they will incorporate separate sets of images for each model for the door display (I told him not to rush as this is not as important, and the reply was this is also important, and they will find time ).

Not sure you've answered my question because I probably didn't ask it properly. I don't like the RCD310 iPod interface. It does not allow me to do things I can do on my iPhone itself ; eg play in random, come to a track and decide to play the whole disk.
    VW have decided to implement an ipod interface that STOPS me from using the iPhone iteself; the screen switches to a logo page.
    I can't see from the videos you've posted a working iPhone interface. Is it the same as the 310 or have they done it properly?
    I don't have iPod myself so I will confirm, but if the interface is the same as the SD / USB interface, then there is a random button for shuffle play. Also as I mentioned, the controls on the iPod / iPhone itself will still work, the unit will not freeze them.

Now I am confused. My understanding of all VW headunits is that they have amps built in. So the ANS810 must have amps and speaker outputs in order for it to be plug and play??
    The other outputs are line level and are for those instances where you want to use an external amp.
    Can you confirm this?
    If I read you correctly there is ONLY a line level for a sub; no built in amp?
    There IS a built in 4x60W amplifier. However, the audio outs are all pre-amp, as the way it should be for upgrades with your own amp.

GPS antenna ..... will I have one built into my car?
    Do you supply one?
    Where do I put it?
    It is supplied, as I have explained I simply did not take a picture of it. In the picture of the back of the unit, the GPS antenna input is covered by the little red cap. The antenna is ample length (>2m) and I have it sitting just on top of my dash, but hiding it somewhere underneath the dash while you have your trim removed should also be fine as long as there's not too much metal blocking it from the top. Having said that, my GPS locks onto position no problem when my car is parked in my garage and when in above ground undercover car parks. I will post a picture of my setup when I get home.

So is there an installation manual supplied in the box?
    There is no installation manual - I will provide a manual detailing what connects to what etc, but I cannot provide trim removal instructions as it varies from car to car. There are plenty of videos on youtube though, and I have a link to a very good video on trim removal for the Golf V. Once the trim is removed, the installation is literally just plugging in a few things then push into place.

Quote Originally Posted by GTD Dubber View Post
    I notice it has a TV selection. Does this apply to Aus?
    TV does work on this unit but the word I got from the salesperson when I bought my own unit is that it is not working yet for Australia - basically the units do not ship with a TV tuner. I will confirm with the tech if this can be implemented for us in the next batch or some time in the future, but the current units I have in stock do not have TV.
    Last edited by DkN; 26-06-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    TR 08 Golf GT TDI, Custom Code Phase 1, Milltek Exhaust, Whiteline RSB + ALK, APR Carbonio Intake

Sorry it's a bit late, but I do now have definitive answers.

Firstly, I would like to correct myself with iPod - my tech had meant the iPod would not freeze as in it can still receive calls etc, but control of music via iPod when it is connected to the ANS music interface would not be possible, much like the RNS system. Also, there is no shuffle (or "random" as ANS calls it) button, probably because it was the same in RNS and the RNS interface is where ANS takes its cues. This is only the iPod interface, all other (USB, SD) interface has the random button. I spoke to the tech about it, he wasn't aware that this was an issue since it is taken from RNS, but he informs me that they will now look into incorporating the shuffle button.

There is an option to stream music through bluetooth, that way all controls on your phone still works, but you lose song information display on the screen i.e. there is only rewind, play / pause and fast forward buttons on screen. What you gain is to have play order like shuffle / selected artist / album / folder etc set up on your phone, and then you can just use the normal ANS controls to skip songs.

Secondly with TV, they actually do have a dual high speed DVB-T tuner available but these are not installed into the batch of units I currently have. In the future I will be ordering the DVB-T units although I think it's more of a feature to impress your friends than anything - for long trips I'd just use DVD or SD card to entertain the passengers.

I have a customer who has just purchased a unit and I will request a photo of the unit installed in the dash, at the moment I only have pictures of mine below which is WITHOUT the dials. The version with dials that I am selling looks more integrated due to retaining the knobs, retaining the chrome surround to the hardware buttons, and having the colour of the hardware buttons themselves match the rest of the unit instead of being black (compare with picture on first page of thread). I also took photos of how my GPS antenna is set up. The antenna is magnetic so you can stick it on a metal surface underneath the top of the dash, or maybe use double-sided tape.

Last edited by DkN; 26-06-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I am hanging out for something with DAB+... rather than Digi tele... are you able to get some inteligence on this?

Having a Gap Year!!!!
    what next?... what next?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by FSI 220 View Post
    I am hanging out for something with DAB+... rather than Digi tele... are you able to get some inteligence on this?
    That would be a killer feature. I would upgrade FROM RNS510 if dab+ was a properly integrated component...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Page 3 of 149 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast