Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Volkswagen Navigation Map DVD V9 Australia for RNS 510 Maps VW OEM Pre Order

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
    Except when compared to aftermarket devices and maps that are (almost) free on most smart phones.
    Well if they are so much better use one and dont growl about the price of manufacturers prices.

Ive got a Tomtom in the Polo and would never consider an upgrade to a 510 as the Tomtom maps are always more up to date.

Only got a VW Nav in the Passat cos it was in it when my wife bought it for my birthday. LOL
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Well if they are so much better use one and dont growl about the price of manufacturers prices.
    Yes, quite right. But like you and your Passat, I am locked into the proprietary solution. If I had understood the ongoing cost and availability of maps when I chose to upgrade I probably would have gone the CarPlay route that I was also considering at the time.
    Daily: 2010 Tiguan TDI | Candy White | Manual | 4MOTION | New York Wheels | Comfort Pack | Tinted Windows | Discover Media | MkVI MFSW | Mk7 Climatronic | RVC | Fog Lights | ECB Nudge Bar | Hella 160 Driving Lights | Rola RBXL135 Cross Bars | To Do: Colour MFD
    Toy: 2008 GTI Pirelli | Sunflower Yellow | 3 Door | DSG | Pirelli Wheels | RNS-510 | 9W7 Bluetooth | RVC | Rear Sensors | Fog Lights | To Do: Mk7 Climatronics, MkVI MFSW, Colour MFD

Users Country Flag
    It's amazing how cheap 3rd party stand alone units are vs built in ones. I think some of the manufacturer prices are set so high for two reasons:

1. Individually they have pretty low unit sales therefore have much higher licencing costs vs TomTom who will be outselling them by an order or two or magnitude.

2. They can.

Given how (relatively) cheap mobile data is and how good something like Google/Apple Maps is AND it's free to use... we *feel* like a few hundred $$ is expensive. Consider the cost of a a printed UBD map for each state is what you're getting in digital form it's probably not all bad... but yes you're paying for stuff you'll likely never use.

These days my usage is pretty split. Getting home is almost always using the built in system when I can simply press "take me home" and away it goes. Heading out somewhere is mostly using my phone since it's usually easier and quicker to enter my destination into Google Maps (or talk to the phone!). But sometimes I do use the built in units.
    (We have an RNS in the Golf and a Pioneer AVIC in the Multivan)

If I had my time over today I'd probably lean towards something with CarPlay (or whatever the Android equivalent is called) over a dedicated unit, but ultimately would probably buy still buy something with it's own nav/maps onboard because I feel that a built in unit tends to integrate with the speed sensors and compass etc to keep working based on other inputs when you lose a GPS signal (like in a tunnel or in a city). It's also handy to have completely offline maps for those times you're out of mobile data range (yes I know there are stand alone apps but I've never bought/installed one and who knows if they work with CarPlay if you care about those things).

Bottom line, yes built in systems tend to be worse/less featured than stand alone devices or mobile apps and yes mapping data tends to be far more expensive for built in systems.. But then you have lots of choice! Even if you never upgrade or use the built in system maps, the pretty screen still looks pretty

On a side note, I understand that the built in double din market is pretty small and niche these days, but I'm still a little surprised that TomTom or NavMan haven't made their own 1st party unit (or even a co branded unit with Pioneer/Sony/Alpine etc etc). For some reason they all seem to end up creating their own software which tends to suck and/or miss key features the other little portable units seems to excel at.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Mazda have Tomtom on their units but I suspect its tweaked for the units

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Any news on the TMC disc anyone?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro Car Upgrades View Post
    Any news on the TMC disc anyone?
    It's a unicorn...
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Surely someone has it
    With the TMC on it and IT Developer who now works with us, we can probably make it happen as a download or SD card or DVD...

Users Country Flag
    If we had it I would have been able to work something out already but alas I think the only person who may have had access to it was a developer for Continental. It was a dev release only so closely guarded. If only VWA cared enough about its customers to enable useful features that have been available in other markets for the last decade
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    The V9. Map is just so out of date already. Driving to Qld. I was still driving through. Paddocks. Should of taken my Tomtom.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    The V9. Map is just so out of date already. Driving to Qld. I was still driving through. Paddocks. Should of taken my Tomtom.

We mentioned that earlier in the thread... You should HAVE taken your Tomtom.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast