Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Penrite Oil

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    How much is the HPR10?

I have switched from a fully synthetic Fuchs 10w40 which seems to burn off a little quickly in the VR6 to Castrol GTX2 which is cheap at round $25/5L and the engine seems to love it.
    I can't find a tech spec sheet for this oil on the Castrol web site ?!? but there are 2 for the GTX3. The GTX3 15W-50 meets VW501/505, but the GTX3 10W-30 does not meet any VW spec at all. It may be wrong to assume GTX 2 doesn't meet VW anything, but when they don't tell you, you have to assume that's the case.

At 20W-50 the GTX2 seems to me to be a bit high in the viscosity, unless your engine is very worn . I have used Magnatec in my Jackaroo and it burned lots of oil and rattled more when cold, but I get none of those issues with HPR10

HPR10 is a bit dearer than the GTX2, you should be able to get it for $35 or less (Repco usually has an across the board sale in January, it's a good time to stock up on this sort of stuff )

2008 Blue Graphite GTI DSG with Latte leather.

gtx2 is 20w50 and mineral oil - i doubt it'd recommended. Usually use with old falcons and such, which were designed for thicker oils. Sometimes going from something to thick to a thinner and better oil makes cars run smoother. Improves fuel economy also.

I'm using fuchs 10w40 and happy with it. Might try something else next time. Was thinking shell helix ultra 5w40... price has shot up almost $10 to bout $57 now though!!!!!!!

Users Country Flag
    I found teh Fuchs to be a little thin for the VR6's hot engine. Remember that the specs are written for a climate that goes much lower than here in Australia.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

I used to run fuchs 10w30 (supertitan GTO or whatever they call it) too. The engine ran fine, didnt eat or burn any of it but it didnt rev anything like it does now with the penrite.

All hail the Penrite!
    1996 Golf VR6 Colour Concept Green

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebuild View Post
    just bought 10L of HPR Diesel 5 recently for the T5 topups, and the next full oil change.
    Not listed on the actual drum but has 506.01 compatibilty according to the Penrite website.
    No it has not.
    It must be HPR Enviro + SAE 5W-30.
    Meets doesn't mean approved.

the enviro+ is for T5's with DPF as far as i can tell(ie 507.00 equivalent) which my T5 is not.

I am still going to use it regardless.
    Oil should not be that critical.
    Last edited by Rebuild; 06-11-2008 at 12:21 AM.
    Steve
    04 T5 auto 2.5L TDI

Users Country Flag
    Rebuild.

Oil is very critical in TDi engine.
    However there could be some oils which could pass VW506.01 if submited for testing but we don't know that for sure that's why you should stick with approved oil only.
    You could end up with worn out valve train components, if you use anything else than VW506.01 approved oil in yours before 2006 T5 R5 engine.
    It is your choice what oil you use. You will have nobody else to blame for engine failure and it will be very expensive repair.
    Last edited by Transporter; 06-11-2008 at 07:36 AM.

Dont poke and hope, scan, smoke and scope
    Users Country Flag
    Yeha just signed up with Penrite today, have all the specs etc you need.
    Cheers
    Jmac
    Alba European
    Service, Diagnostics and repairs. Mobile Diag available on request
    Audi/VW/Porsche Factory trained tech 25+ yrs exp
    For people who value experience call 0423965341

Dont poke and hope, scan, smoke and scope
    Users Country Flag
    To add to the above , the service i have experienced already is second to none, they even offer me a reasonable rate for sample testing, i will use the Enviro over the SLX now, ive read the official statement from VGA giving the thumbs up for the Enviro for the diesel and they only recommend the Enviro for the FSi too. Audi and Dub have been famous for being very strict, which is cool with me. HPR5 covers a huge range like the Polo Gti, which im happy about as ive been using it long enough with zero complaints.
    Anyway if you have any Penrite queries i can have them answered
    Cheers
    Jmac
    Alba European
    Service, Diagnostics and repairs. Mobile Diag available on request
    Audi/VW/Porsche Factory trained tech 25+ yrs exp
    For people who value experience call 0423965341

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Anyway if you have any Penrite queries i can have them answered
    Thanks. I've got one:

Do Penrite have an oil that is approved by VW for both 504/507 AND 506.01 ? This would be suitable for all modern VWs, even the early R5 engines in T5s and Touaregs that Transporter mentioned above.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast