Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Temperature - New Car

Users Country Flag

In a new engine that is not run in, the engine oil temperature could be higher and you will get to the operating temperature quicker, due to more friction generated from the piston rings and other components that need to be run in. It is nothing to worry about.

You could use it as a guide, once the engine is run in there will be less friction generated and it will take a bit longer to reach 100 deg.C in oil.

I took our new Tiguan for few run in trips (not very long), and I was amazed how quickly oil temperature reached 100 deg. C .

I started each trip gently, after 1km shifted to "S" mode to keep the revs up a bit, once the oil temperature started to show on the display I started to load up the engine and used the hills to accelerate and decelerate, during these trips I didn't hold the revs over 4000 rpm (IMO around 3500rpm for short time is right for the TDI). Nothing wrong with when during brisk acceleration rpm's reach 4000 as long as you don't hold it on 4000rpm for longer period of time. Also stick to the speed limit for running in period quoted in the owner's manual, cause gears, bearings, axles and the brakes need to be run in too.

At 1048km I drained the engine oil, replaced the oil filter and filled the sump with Mobil1 ESP 5W30.

Thank You Transporter,

but in my case mileage is 17,000km+ (including first 1500Km run in period as per VW manual) ... first service performed on 8500km,

Yes, from time to time some brisk accelerations ... it is GTI ... but nothing out of normal driving (same as I was driving my previous cars 118TSI, 2lFSI...)

I am just not sure is oil temperature above 110C normal plus that coolant "disappearance" (250ml coolant in 2 months and 3500km)
    MY16 GTI 40

Users Country Flag
    The oil temperature 110C is normal and it could be even higher if you drive in city traffic(also affected by ambient temperature), slower speeds, bumper to bumper or at higher speed in summer. I would only be alarmed if it is 120C and higher when driven gently in winter.

How many times did you top up coolant?

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    The oil temperature 110C is normal and it could be even higher if you drive in city traffic(also affected by ambient temperature), slower speeds, bumper to bumper or at higher speed in summer. I would only be alarmed if it is 120C and higher when driven gently in winter.
    Thank You Transporter... I was concern after seeing some people talking about 104 degree as being to high.

Any thoughts about coolant "disappearance" (250ml coolant in 2 months and after 3500km)
    MY16 GTI 40

Users Country Flag
    Take the covers off the engine - top and under the car, get good torch and take a good look at the engine, especially at the hoses and the radiator. The coolant is purple sort of colour and if there is any leak it would leave the trails of the same colour.

Or better still, get the cooling system pressure tested, that way you will be sure that there aren't any internal leaks or leaks inside the car from the heater core or heather hoses.

If it is your first top up and you are not sure what was the coolant level before then it is possible that the coolant level in reservoir was lower to begin with.

Edit:
    Just remember that the coolant temperature gauge is the main gauge that would indicate that engine is overheating.
    Last edited by Transporter; 31-10-2010 at 08:24 AM.

Users Country Flag
    To the OP, 102C is normal.....my 300km old GTI gets up to 105C, especially in traffic / carparks. But, in my old 206 GTi180 around Wakefield or Eastern Creek, it would easily maintain 120-125C on a track day.

Keep enjoying the car!
    Stu
    MK6 MY10 Golf GTI, 5dr Manual, Carbon Steel, Detroits, Tint
    T6 MY06 Peugeot 307 HDi Touring, Manual, Iron Grey, Tint

Users Country Flag
    2000kms GTI MKVI and regularly see oil temps 100 - 105
    2011 Golf GTI / DSG / Bi Xenon / Detroits / Bluetooth / Candy White

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacmaniman View Post
    2000kms GTI MKVI and regularly see oil temps 100 - 105
    It is normal.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ktrianta View Post
    Hmm...thanks for the info Manaz. So many threads on breaking in your engine, not sure which to go with: break it in properly, or gun it right away.
    i would think there is a happy medium somewhere between your current running in procedure & "gunning it".

So, for the dummy in me, 102 degrees is nothing to worry about? Just thinking down the road with hot Sydney summers..wonder what the oil will be like when it's 40 outside.

Thanks!
    It's synthetic oil. The vehicle has a water/oil heat exchanger. It will be fine.

If you didn't have the temperature guage you'd be none-the-wiser & wouldn't give a toss

Somewhere in this forum, WhiteJames has a jolly old time describing his running-in procedure & oil temperature. It's probably worth a read if you can cut through the references to the 3rd person.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag

As an update, I saw 115C on the oil temp display the other day.....was chasing (hard) a Lotus Elise.......
    MK6 MY10 Golf GTI, 5dr Manual, Carbon Steel, Detroits, Tint
    T6 MY06 Peugeot 307 HDi Touring, Manual, Iron Grey, Tint

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast