Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help, Penrite 5w30 Enviro+ GF5, not VW approved?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    I'd be worried in a diesel, as you need the 507 part, but in a petrol I thought it was more the 504 component, which does seem to be a lot more widespread amongst oils??
    VW won't approve any product unless it meets both specs.

You'll never find an approved oil that meets the petrol spec (504.00) but not the diesel spec (507.00) and vice-versa.

Users Country Flag
    Just this weekend I was looking at oil for my Bora 4mo. Need to do an oil service after I lost it all through a busted sump.

Looked through the service book and I need VW 500/502. This has now been superceeded with VW 502/505.
    The stealership recommend Castrol Edge 5w30 but I've never been a fan of their products and looked for alternatives.

Checked out the Penrite varieties of oil, and there are varieties they make that are VW approved. They are the 5w30 Enviro+ versions but it needs to be specified. The GF5+ variety is for GM vehicles. ed.

The one I bought had a volkswagen approved sticker on it and on the back it specified the standard it adhered too (VW 502). Penrite have official VW approval letters listed on their site. I bought the Penrite Enviro+ 5w40 as it was VW 502 approved.

I've used Penrite in my last two cars and had no problems. My last car's noisy tappets were fixed with Penrite oil and I even gained a slight fuel consumption improvement. Even when I tracked the car, 10,000kms later it came out in perfect colour - not burnt or gluggy at all. Yet to hear a bad word against Penrite from anyone I ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyCarMods
    I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me. Your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book.

-| "Laura" - 2001 Bora 4-motion (now sold) |-

Users Country Flag
    Penrite Enviro+ 5W-30 full synthetic is VW 504/507 approved the Enviro+ GF-5 is not, I have seen the GF-5 for $40 but the approved one is around $80 when not on special.

Users Country Flag
    The Penrite sight list the 5-30 Enviro+ oil as meeting VW 507 but under the fixed prices servicing agreement I've just signed when I got my new Yeti yesterday, they will charge for their oil anyway so it seems there is no way I can get around it.
    I would like to use it though.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryeman View Post
    The Penrite sight list the 5-30 Enviro+ oil as meeting VW 507 but under the fixed prices servicing agreement I've just signed when I got my new Yeti yesterday, they will charge for their oil anyway so it seems there is no way I can get around it.
    I would like to use it though.
    Well mine was done under fixed price 2 weeks ago and they just didn't add the price of the oil on.

It usually a fixed labour charge plus oils and parts.

When I was asking prices they wanted to charge $118 for a 5L of oil, when it was $93 in the service dept, so I said I will provide the oil.

No problem am happy with the subsequent pricing
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Well mine was done under fixed price 2 weeks ago and they just didn't add the price of the oil on.

It usually a fixed labour charge plus oils and parts.

When I was asking prices they wanted to charge $118 for a 5L of oil, when it was $93 in the service dept, so I said I will provide the oil.

No problem am happy with the subsequent pricing
    Thanks for that Hillbilly,
    it may be up to each dealer but I will go ahead armed with your advice.
    (I notice on the oils site back in 2009 that VW specify NO intermediate oil change till it's done the first 15K which I assume is to have a 'lapping paste' effect for bedding in purposes combined with a bit of high BMEP . I accept that argument since VW have had issues with high oil consumption so will be happy for just this period)
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Enviro+ is normally about $83-89 I buy it when its on special for $65-69

Currently (14/11/2016) - 5L container of Penrite Enviro+ 5W-30 is $79.99 at Autobarn. Where did you find it on special at $65?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepBlue View Post
    Currently (14/11/2016) - 5L container of Penrite Enviro+ 5W-30 is $79.99 at Autobarn. Where did you find it on special at $65?
    Usually at Repco or SCA.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks.

Users Country Flag

It is good to know which oils you can use, chances are one of the majors will have something on special.

SuperCheap
    LiquiMoly for $10.77 per litre
    Liqui Moly Engine Oil - 5W-30, 1 Litre - Supercheap Auto

Castrol Edge FST is often on special around $55mark, or $68 right now.
    Castrol Edge Diesel DPF Engine Oil - 5W-30, 5 Litre - Supercheap Auto

Nulon, buy 5litre get 1 free $70
    Nulon Full Synthetic Euro Engine Oil - 5W-30, 5 Litre - Supercheap Auto
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast