Thread: Boot capacity

Users Country Flag

Boot capacity

Hi guys, thinking of a used Eos and can't find any info on the boot space. Does the box that holds the roof when retracted into the boot, move out of the way when the roof is up? Or is it possible to remove it altogether to increase the boot space with the roof up?
    Basically I need a reasonable boot during the week to cart samples around and like the idea of a convertible for weekend use!

Any feedback (with pics if possible) would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Users Country Flag
    With the roof down, the boot is tiny. A small suitcase is about the limit.

The box itself folds out of the way with the roof up, allowing you to make more use of the space. But again, it's not huge.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the info.

we had one
    with the roof up it's massive and wide. We were able to bring a guitar and an amp to church every week

with the roof down, two medium size suitcases is possible - but you'need to put the roof up to get them in/out

the volume is there, but the access can be awkward. But I'd say you aren't losing out on much compared with a normal hatchback - just can't fold the seats down for furniture / bikes etc
    We had ours for 4 years and replaced it with an Abarth 500, now that was a stupid car.
    Main Dub:
    2010 Crafter Hanover Bus
    1956 Type 1
    2015 vRS wagon black on black

Quote Originally Posted by Chrismacca View Post
    Hi guys, thinking of a used Eos and can't find any info on the boot space. Does the box that holds the roof when retracted into the boot, move out of the way when the roof is up? Or is it possible to remove it altogether to increase the boot space with the roof up?
    Basically I need a reasonable boot during the week to cart samples around and like the idea of a convertible for weekend use!

Any feedback (with pics if possible) would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    The boot capacity with the roof up is about 380 litres and about 205 litres with the roof down.

There's no actual box that holds the roof but there is a cover which separates the roof from the luggage below when the roof is down. This cover can be lifted up and and clipped to retaining clips at the top of the boot to enable you to carry more in the boot but this can ONLY be done when the roof is up and the roof cannot be operated unless the cover is locked in the down position as there are sensors that prevent this. This cover can also easily removed to create more usable space however, when the cover is removed, the roof will not operate.

With the roof down, there is space for a couple of smallish suitcases, VW did offer a pair of narrow, custom designed suitcases as an option and these are great to have, no problem to put all the personal effects required for two people for a week or two of cruising the countryside with the top down and my missus doesn't understand the meaning of travelling light!

The Eos is great as you can enjoy the wind in your hair and also the comfort of a hard top roof for those times when a sedan type vehicle is more suitable. I've been driving an Eos for 6 1/2 years now having bought my first one new in 09 and sold it in 14 when I bought another new one. It's got enough get up and go and it's great to be able to drop the top whenever the conditions suit.

Here are some pics I found on the net to illustrate the cover in the open and closed position.

Cheers

George
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boot capacity-cover-closed-jpg   Boot capacity-cover-open-jpg  

06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Users Country Flag
    If you buy one make sure the roof works properly. Was in a dealers that had one in there for several days trying to adjust it. The mechanics said they hate the things.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Yep, been down the path of broken roofs on these things.

Not fun at all.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks again to all, I knew the forum would answer my query; in full!
    Cheers

I realise this is a VW forum and all, but I had a similar idea. For a bigger rear seat and a boot with more space you might want to look at a Lexus IS1250C. Second hand they are pretty good pricing for even the high end one and can fit kids in car seats and still have a usual boot roof up or down. I ended up getting another Skoda Octavia RS, in wagon form this time as it was about the same brand new, but still could have done my job with the 250C. My wife has a luxury car aversion due to her bosses all owning various BMWs etc so was overruled there as well