Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Touareg 6 month service?

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I guess the same people who told you to service your car once every x amount of km got themselves in the trouble (not for the first time though)

VW Audi Oil Sludge Class Action Settlement

I know you may say that it's a different market, different oils, fuels and so on, but still they didn't get the servicing intervals right - they were .... WRONG, and it wasn't the first time. Oh, and how wrong they got the NO maintenance on the auto transmissions in the T5s it's a very good example how easily the engineers can be wrong, costing the T5 owners $10,000+ in repairs.

And since the excessive oil sludge problem is repeating in every decade, I rather change the oil more, since I can't change my cars every 3-4 years.
    I agree with you regarding the service interval of the 6-speed automatic transmission.

In regards to the class action, it was raised because certain models in the North American market were forming oil sludge and coking deposits in the engine despite being maintained as recommended by Audi of America (AoA) and Volkswagen of America (VWoA).

At the time, AoA and VWoA did not explicitly specify that only engine oil which complies with VW oil standard 502.00 should be used for those affected models.

The class action was settled with AoA and VWoA being required to pay 100% for damages related to oil sludge (past and present), extend the warranty to 120 000 miles (190 000 km) or 10 years, receive a $25 discount off the price of an oil and filter change at a dealer, and provide instructions for the owner to only use engine oils which comply with VW oil standard 502.00, a list of which is maintained on their respective websites.

No changes were made to the service interval for those affected vehicles.

The service interval for passenger vehicles in the U.S. market is 10 000 miles (16 000 km) or 12 months, whichever is reached first.

Users Country Flag
    I live in Canberra. Relative extremes of hot and cold.

I pay to change engine oil and filter in June and November, as a minimum, for my three vehicles. Don't care how far I've gone.

It pays to read the manual and understand what the dealer or indie, will do on a 'service'.

Cheers,
    Stu
    MY07 V10 TDi Touareg
    98,000 Km
    HPF flash tune - 273 rwkW & 813 Nm

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    If you stop engine for 5 months after you've done 5,000km, I would be worried about the rust on the cylinder walls
    Doesn't happen with an oiler.

And I doubt that it would happen in a petrol engine. Lots of North Americans lay their cars up for five months or longer without issues.
    Last edited by V10Touareg; 17-07-2016 at 06:18 PM.
    MY07 V10 TDi Touareg
    98,000 Km
    HPF flash tune - 273 rwkW & 813 Nm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12