Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Temporary spare ruined my weekend away

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Red face Problem solved !

Thanks to all for some great ideas. Here is my summary in increasing functionality.

Buy a can of tyre sealer, works like the new 'mobility tyre' on the Passat Alltrack. However only works on small (up to 5mm) punctures through the tread area. Neither of my last two punctures were fixable this way.
    Buy a spare tyre and keep it in the garage. At least you will be able to get it fitted immediately, rather than wait a few days for stock to come in.
    Buy a spare tyre and carry it in the boot. Its not very heavy and you can still pack smaller items inside it. At least you can get any tyre place to fit it to your rim and keep going. Would have solved my original problem.
    Buy a spare rim and tyre and put it in the boot. Tie it down with a simple net or straps. Ok if you don't need heaps of boot space. Means you can fit it and keep going.
    Additionally, some good examples on the forum where guys have made a shelf over the spare. Also some examples where members have made vertical carriers. Not sure I need either.
    If you need all the boot space, Then you need to put it on the roof, or if you are towing on the trailer. But its pretty heavy to get up on the roof. This will use more fuel, but if you need a rack for other items this probably makes sense. On the trailer is great if using a camper trailer for touring.

So all of these work, really it depends on how much boot space you need for other stuff.

Again, many thanks to all for useful ideas and helping me sort my thinking!!

Users Country Flag
    I don't like posting the others experience, especially when it's something like the tyre puncture. But, this one is my daughter's latest (the second only in 8years of driving), and it happened last Thursday when she was ready to drive from Mt. Gambier to Adelaide. What a coincidence?
    Luckily, she heard the faint hiss from the front tyre while she was getting in the car still at home. So, she grabbed the full size spare from the garage and drove a few hundred meters to Bridgestone place where they swapped it for her. The tyre is being repaired at Wise choice tyres at Lonsdale as I type.

So, having a full size spare ready even in the garage is a good idea, however if it's not in the car with you and you travel far from home, you better get familiar how to quickly swap the flat for the space saver. It's not that hard and many drivers done it. I know it's bloody annoying and there is never a good time when it happens, but I don't think that all car manufacturers will go back to a full size spare wheel, since not many drivers today aren't able to change the tyre anyway.

Our Touareg has everything needed to fix or swap the flat very fast, incl. wheel chocks, tyre repair plugs a second (bigger) air compressor, a breaker bar with 19mm deep socket. But, it's just that the girls aren't into these things and I was 500km away.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi Transporter.

Sorry to hear about your daughters flat. But your idea, Option 2 above, which I hadn't thought of, saved the day.

Its a simple, low cost but really good idea. Now I just need to find a rim as well, for any more remote trips.

Good list of gear for longer trips as well. I will build up a few tools in the wheel well.

You need to make one of these.
    Temporary spare ruined my weekend away-20140712_144742-jpg
    Temporary spare ruined my weekend away-20140712_144838-jpg
    '11 Polo TDi auto, White, Sunroof
    '91 Transporter syncro camper

Users Country Flag

Good solution. May I suggest to use the tread plate or similar, painted black, instead of the wood.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234