Thread: passenger door not latching on R5 after handle removal

Users Country Flag

passenger door not latching on R5 after handle removal

yeah its completly my fault......

door was in perfect working condition albeit sitting a touch low (needed a slight adjustment, new to me car only had it a month)

took off the passenger door handle to do something and after i refitted it it wont latch....went as far as pulling the whole inner door skin off after i sent the pre load spring flying internally....damn these things are built like tanks lol, no wonder the repar costs are high.....
    so its all back together and the door wont latch, ever with a screwdriver...what am i missing? ive got elsawin and its not giving me any meaninful insights (i am pretty new to it though)

anyone got some insight into this?

cheers
    -shaun

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

ok guys ive fixed it now.

so when i put the handle back on i set the bowden cable too far out, when the exterior handle is pulled to its maximum length with the cable set too far "AND THE DOOR IN THE UNLOCKED POSITION" it caused the mechanism in the lock to bind up.

when the door is locked pulling it too far does nothing funnily enough.

i had to disassemble the lock and flick a lever/tab back down for it to work again, i don't know if this was just my 12 year old lock that is like this but thats how i got out of it, this video helped me get into the lock anyway:

YouTube

i was feeling enthused today, finished the lock episode, put new struts in the rear lift glass, replaced the park brake release slider bit, replaced the bonnet opener (funnily enough i broke it when i was inspecting the vehicle for purchase....the seller assured me there was an engine under the hood....) and fitted a set of 9" LED spotties.

it was also 36 degrees outside and i had multiple fans cooling me in the shed. now having a well earned bevvy.