Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oettinger Turbo Diesel Remap

Hope you don't mind a new chum joining in.

Having test driven the 165kw/500nm V6 lTDI ast week I could only describe the power as ample and the torque as awsome. And yes, when mine arrives it will have the 176kw/550nm but I can't help thinking that the engine in the car I drove was great and more than up to the job and if fiddling with the ECU affects reliability and/or the warranty it is a rather pointless exercise.

Cheers T Rex

Quote Originally Posted by T Rex View Post
    Hope you don't mind a new chum joining in.

Having test driven the 165kw/500nm V6 lTDI ast week I could only describe the power as ample and the torque as awsome. And yes, when mine arrives it will have the 176kw/550nm but I can't help thinking that the engine in the car I drove was great and more than up to the job and if fiddling with the ECU affects reliability and/or the warranty it is a rather pointless exercise.

Cheers T Rex
    i wouldnt be complaining if i were you!
    2x Caddy, 1x Ducato

Quote Originally Posted by T Rex View Post
    Having test driven the 165kw/500nm V6 lTDI ast week I could only describe the power as ample and the torque as awsome.
    Cheers T Rex
    I think you'll find most of the people using of considering this chip are driving the R5 with the smaller engine. I to test drove both, and while the R5 responded to the throttle as I expected, the v6 exceeded my expectations. If I had a 2nd hand R5 out of warranty, I'd consider the chip
    David
    '08 T2 TDV6 Atacama Grey Metallic Anthracite Leather Lacquer Inserts T/Bar Chrome Roof Bars Fifth Wheel, Pirelli 235/65/17 ATs, 550nm of Torque

Quote Originally Posted by dmm_au View Post
    I think you'll find most of the people using of considering this chip are driving the R5 with the smaller engine. I to test drove both, and while the R5 responded to the throttle as I expected, the v6 exceeded my expectations. If I had a 2nd hand R5 out of warranty, I'd consider the chip
    Hi David
    I agree. I only made the comment because the original post referred to a new V6 TDi. Many moons ago I bought a brand new 3.9 Range Rover and as soon as the warranty was up did a 4.6 conversion which was great for the following 15 years. Mind you. both those engines were asthmatic compared to the modern TDi breed.

Just to put another spin on this thread, whether you chip or remap is totally up to each individual but one thing that does concerns me is the quality of some diesel fuels.

With the high price of fuel today the practise of blending fuel could be tempting to unscrupulous retailers wanting to make a better profit margin.

Dodgy fuel will kill an engine far quicker than modifications and the manufacture has no responsibility to repair anything.

Pity there's no black list on line that we could identify these outlets.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/busine...964606131.html

Regards,

Treg2

Originally Posted by Treg2
    Just to put another spin on this thread, whether you chip or remap is totally up to each individual but one thing that does concerns me is the quality of some diesel fuels.

With the high price of fuel today the practise of blending fuel could be tempting to unscrupulous retailers wanting to make a better profit margin.

Dodgy fuel will kill an engine far quicker than modifications and the manufacture has no responsibility to repair anything.

Regards,

Treg2

Agree with this one. Just returned from a trip away to country NSW and fuelled up at the only servo in the town. I normally use BP diesel (local to me and I have a BP card to use) this servo was an independent but a well known one (not that I remember which one it was). There was a notable difference in the response to my vehicle. Fuel economy dropped by about 1.5ltrs per 100km and I would guess 0-100 times a fraction of a second out. And to top this off 5 cents per litre above the Sydney diesel price.
    I have since run a tank of my trusted BP diesel and the vehicle is happy now.

Yes be careful on what fuel you use.
    Flipper Dog
    May '07 Facelift V6 TDI Shadow Blue with anthracite cow, hole in roof, bit sticking out from behind to catch your shin on and Satnav at a 1/10th the price because it sticks on to my windscreen.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Treg2 View Post

Regards,

Treg2
    Yes that's 100% truth, bad fuel will kill engine faster than chip but chiped(modified) engine using bad fuel would be worst of than stock engine and would be killed even faster.
    Last edited by Transporter; 21-01-2008 at 08:15 PM. Reason: edit text

Users Country Flag

R5 engine in Race Touareg.

Difference between R5 engine in Touareg and The Race Touareg2.

Touareg R5 engine:
    Power: 128kW
    Torque: 400Nm
    Cylinder head with 2 Valves per cylinder.
    Turbocharger with intercooler.

Race Touareg2 with R5engine:
    Power: 209kW approximately
    Torque: over 600Nm
    Cylinder head with 4 Valves per cylinder which allows better gas flow rate.
    Two stage supercharged system with turbochargers and intercooler installed longitudinally behind front suspension.
    Engine also has a better cooling.

Cheers
    MRL T5

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Treg2 View Post
    Would not recommend remapping the factory ECU, it could screw up the ability to report error codes correctly.

A better way would be to used the DP Chip plug and play solution from AWD Technologies. If you are getting the V6 Tdi the DP31 literally installs in 5 minutes and makes a remarkable difference to the of the line performance.

I would recommend you visit this web site and research the product for your self.

www.dpchip.com.au

Treg2
    I also have installed DP Chip in my V6 Turbo Diesel Oettinger and I have got pretty good results.

P.S Sorry for bumping a pretty old post but could not resist on commenting on this one.

Users Country Flag

Remap is better than chip.
    Simple things to consider.
    Stability control is not just nipping the brakes - stability control is also about reducing engine power at the correct time.
    Tuning boxes are adding power and torque that the stability control system (and ECU) knows nothing about. Thus you have no or at best uncalibrated stability control. Day to day no issue - but if you need stability control then you will have issues aka loss of control (I speak from experience here).
    Tuning boxes were originally developed for prime movers (big trucks) and do work very well. Similarly they work well for older diesel vehicles with no stability control.
    Remap is the only safe option for the Treg or any modern vehicle with stability control.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123