Support VWWC

Thread: Cost of a Touareg

Users Country Flag

Cost of a Touareg

Hi all, Would anyone be able to give me an idea of what the purchase price of a 2012 Touareg v6 Tdi with around 45,000k on the clock should be on average? It's in great condition both inside and out and has a tow bar. Dealer has it for $53500 but I think it might be too high at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check redbook and carsales should give you a reasonable idea.

It does sound a little high given you can buy these brand new for $65k.

My guess is it should be around $40-45k - but also check that it has had 4 year 60,000km service done as this is a big one. If it's been stamped by a VW dealer you should be OK but if done by an independent/other workshop I'd want an itemized receipt showing all work performed.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    If it's been stamped by a VW dealer you should be OK but if done by an independent/other workshop I'd want an itemized receipt showing all work performed.
    I'm glad that you used the word "should", though I'd like to see the itemised invoice anyway.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I've now been offered this car for $39,500 which includes trade in of my 2007 Nissan. Dealer said it's in mint condition. Is this a good deal?

2012 Volkswagen Touareg 7P MY12.5 V6 TDI Tiptronic 4MOTION Black 8 Speed Sports Automatic Wagon - Salters Indooroopilly - 356 Used, Springwood

Users Country Flag
    To me? No. The car is probably 5 years old or will be soon. I rather use this $40,000 towards a new Touareg and sell the Nissan privately.

I think this just goes to show how much margin the dealer has in the advertised price if they can drop $10K and still be making $.

I'm kind of with Transporter on this one. New these are $65k, and demo they can be had for $60k so how much are you going to be paying for something with no warranty, half worn tyres, 50,000km of wear and tear on seats, trims, bodywork, paint, etc.

Have a look at how much the older models drop in price too. We're 6 years into the model cycle and there's a new Touareg around the corner: 2018 Volkswagen Touareg spy shots

Also keep in mind that a lot of people move their cars on before major costs/maintenance like tyres, brakes, major service. So you need to factor these into the purchase price also. These costs on a large car like a Touareg are not insignificant.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. Appreciate the input. I guess I need to save more and buy new. I'm not one for loans so $40K was my cash limits.

I don't want to put you off, but you have to look at it objectively.

Most people that buy these cars new sell them in 3-5 years before they start costing a lot of $ in maintenance. That's the bottom line. They see some major costs coming up and decide it's time to trade it rather than pay for the repairs/maintenance.

If you've told the sales guy you have a $40k budget, then he is going to be looking for a way to get you to spend all of you budget with him. How else do you think he came up with the $39,500 figure? He would have worked out a trade-in price on your 2007 Nissan to just meet your budget.

As Transporter says you'll do a lot better selling your car privately and then going and negotiating with the $ in the bank. If they don't get down to a reasonable price once you factor in all the $ you're going to have to spend on the car in the next 12-18months then walk away. They need your business more than you need their car.

Users Country Flag

It's all in the art of the 'haggle', find out the salesman who has the best sales figures, wait till the last week of the financial year and negotiate. My deal was (a new, not a demo) 2016 150 TDI, $64K - including tint, rubber mats all round, mud flaps, and 1st service free, drive away. Option for a fitted VW towbar (in writing) for $1400 if I choose. I thought I did well, I was happy at any rate. I wish you luck, and you'll love the 'Treg - good luck.