Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Tips for a used 7L/7P Touareg

Users Country Flag

Buying Tips for a used 7L/7P Touareg

Hi guys,
    I am new to the world of Touareg's and would like to ask some of you guys with regards to personal experiences. My wife and I are considering purchasing a caravan and both of my existing cars (turbo petrol Jetta and R36) aren't up to the task of towing a decent sized van. Considering selling the Jetta and purchasing an SUV with a tow ball. At the moment I like the current 7P shape (the 7L seems like a good rig too but I just can't deal with the shape of that steering wheel. It would bug me the whole time I had the car if I was purchase one of the older ones) and I am not sure on whether the 150 or 180kw diesel will satisfy me but that is not really important at this real early stage. Can anyone give me some tips on things to look out for if I decide to look at a Touareg. Don't really want to buy a lemon. They seem to be holding their value as there is a few that are a few of years old with over 100 thousand kays and still want mid 40's for them!!! Anyway, if anyone has some advice, it would be appreciated. I will start having a browse through this part of the forum now that I am considering one and do some research. Thanks guys.
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Users Country Flag
    If I was paying mid 40's i would be looking for the best 100 ser Landcruiser I could find.

Why Parts are available all over the country even in remote places. '

If the Toureg broke down in the back of beyond you may be sitting for a while waiting for parts.
    Also oil is expensive in some of them.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Club Touareg is you best bet to ask....Australia & New Zealand - Club Touareg Forums
    Have a look at the Australian/New Zealand section for information in our region.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag
    I think some of the prices being asked for Touregs are very ambitious - they aren't much different to similar Cayennes.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    ok, I've got to ask a dumb question. Is there such thing as a heavy duty tow ball for the tegs? Also, I presume they have a transmission cooler already installed in the front on the side? I know my R36 does!
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Users Country Flag
    Most towbars have a 3500kg 50mm towball which is the Aussie standard size for towing

Users Country Flag
    hayman reese do a 2000kg / 100kg ball weight unit. (assuming you are asking about a towbar rather than a towball).

I agree with HillBilly - get a Landcruiser or a Prado
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    hayman reese do a 2000kg / 100kg ball weight unit. (assuming you are asking about a towbar rather than a towball).

I agree with HillBilly - get a Landcruiser or a Prado
    That towbar would be a waste of time for a decent sized van. Only very small vans or Euro's have a ball weight of less than 10% of their ATM The normal towbar for a 4wd is a 3500kg unit with matching towball.

A Prado is normally limited to towing 2500kg which is up to about a 19ft van in most makes. Ours was 25ft and went 2900kg with 300kg on the towball. A 100ser TD towed it well.

Users Country Flag
    We tow a 3100kg caravan. Sit all day on 95km/h and get 14.5l/100km (no wind assist, no hills).

Same van behind a 200 series LC manages to get down to almost 20l/100km on a GOOD day (viz. wind assist, no hills).

I have seen documented reports of current model Landcruiser/Patrol being stuck in Port Hedland for 10 days waiting for a new radiator.

Your choice. I'll stick with the Touareg 7L and a VCDS cable.
    MY16 Touareg 4.2Lt V8 TDI/Pure White LED lightbox/REDARC Brake Controller/ Racechip/iDrive Throttle controller
    2008 GOLF .:R32/5DR DBPE DSG/SUNROOF/RNS510/PRIVACY TINT/CONTI SC3s/MILLTEK CATBACK NON-RES/9W2 BT/"MYR-032"

Users Country Flag

What towbar do you use FJ STeve?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast