Support VWWC

Thread: Brakes/Discs/Sensor

Users Country Flag

Brakes/Discs/Sensor

At the 45000 service some months ago our MY14 180TDI was "recommended" to have brakes done - despite no indicator coming on, and no issue with brake performance. It was suggested i might last a couple of thousand more kms, so i deferred replacing given the eye-watering cost they suggested to replace the discs, pads and sensor. Allegedly if the sensor isn't replaced it tends to give face warnings (although i'm guessing this may be dealer bs).

Now some 10,000km+ later i'm heading towards the 60,000 service and likely to be given the same "advice". Brakes still working without any issue, and no warning light as yet. It does mostly highway driving hence why it's probably beaten the "estimate".

So, in anticipation of the warning light coming on at some stage, or in the event of the same "advice", can anyone comment or recommend where they may have had this done alternatively (aftermarket or otherwise)? And in particular the (rough) cost?

I'm in Vic if that's a factor but i'd be interested in comments on product(s) used and cost (even if interstate). And did people need to do discs and pads and sensor or just the pads etc?

Thanks in advance.
    Gone: 2009 MkV GTI DSG United Grey; 2005 MkV Comfortline

Current Rides: 2020 Mk7.5 GTI Performance ; 2013 MY14 V6 Touareg 180TDI

Users Country Flag
    It's best to simply check your brakes to determine if they need to be serviced/replaced

If there is a lip at the outer edge of the disc - you need them skimmed (~$70 per pair)
    If they have worn down too much they will need to be replaced

There is a slot in the middle of the brake pads - when that slot is gone you need new pads

Phone Brakes Direct to get prices for pads and rotors
    Brakes Direct - Australia's Experts in Automotive Braking Components!
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by docjames View Post
    At the 45000 service some months ago our MY14 180TDI was "recommended" to have brakes done - despite no indicator coming on, and no issue with brake performance. It was suggested i might last a couple of thousand more kms, so i deferred replacing given the eye-watering cost they suggested to replace the discs, pads and sensor. Allegedly if the sensor isn't replaced it tends to give face warnings (although i'm guessing this may be dealer bs).

Now some 10,000km+ later i'm heading towards the 60,000 service and likely to be given the same "advice". Brakes still working without any issue, and no warning light as yet. It does mostly highway driving hence why it's probably beaten the "estimate".

So, in anticipation of the warning light coming on at some stage, or in the event of the same "advice", can anyone comment or recommend where they may have had this done alternatively (aftermarket or otherwise)? And in particular the (rough) cost?

I'm in Vic if that's a factor but i'd be interested in comments on product(s) used and cost (even if interstate). And did people need to do discs and pads and sensor or just the pads etc?

Thanks in advance.
    On our 2008 Treg2 no aftermarket brake discs lasted more than 20,000km without the shudder. Also the aftermarket pads that suppose to be low dust weren't any better than the VAG part. So for us, it's genuine ATE brakes only.

Users Country Flag
    Brake pad sensor is in the front brake pad (either left or right hand side) no need to buy separate. I would suggest trying Repco or if you are confident enough purchase online, bendix, rotor disc Australia (RDA) are quality after market replacements at a fraction of the costs.

Simple checks to complete;
    Before driving, feel the disc for a lip (fronts generally wear faster than rears). Having a lip doesn't mean automatically replace, it goes off the total thickness of the rotor. Do some research online for new specs and minimum specs that will give you an idea. Also look for cracking.
    Get a torch and look at the brake pad to see if you can see the thickness of material left on the backing plate. To get a gauge on this you may have to get a reference from a new pad or friends car(?).

This will at least give you some knowledge if service centre recommends changing once again for you to feel comfortable saying either yes or no.

Users Country Flag
    Don't skim OEM discs. If they're lipped, bin them.

The sensor usually comes bonded to the pad in most cases.

They advised that you consider replacing your pads and discs because they are wearing out.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks all.

No brake shudder at all.

Other than inconvenience (of having to go back to dealership again), is there any drawback to just waiting for the sensor light to show?
    Gone: 2009 MkV GTI DSG United Grey; 2005 MkV Comfortline

Current Rides: 2020 Mk7.5 GTI Performance ; 2013 MY14 V6 Touareg 180TDI

Users Country Flag
    Your braking efficiency as the pads wear down, will be impacted. Particularly with repetitive stops.

I reckon come next service, even if the light hasn't come on, you'll be very close to needing pads and rotors. Touaregs are notoriously hard on brakes.

Pad sensor will contact the disc at around 1.5-2mm of material left, and that's not even factoring in 2-3mm of lip on the disc, which will wear into the sensor first. Did the dealership give you a measurement of pad material remaining, on your last invoice? Anything less than 4-5mm, you'd want to seriously consider getting it sorted out.

I've just done the pads on my Touareg, but V8 with the large Brembo brakes.
    Full set of genuine Brembo pads and a full set of sensors was $230 delivered.