Thread: 2010 v10 ignition switch source

2010 v10 ignition switch source

Hi All

We have a 2010 v10tdi. I am running a fridge in a caravan via an Andersen plug with 6mm2 wire, from the rear battery (with a 40amp fuse). Given how fast a large 3way fridge will flatten the car battery once we stop (proven and not wanted again), I would like to fit a large relay/solenoid to turn on/off with the ignition.

I have gone over several looms and can't find a source - Q: Where can I tap an ignition switching source?

Thanks
    Octavia vRS TDi DSG MY10 - RD Technik tuned
    Polo 9N3 1.9TDi

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by harlie View Post
    Hi All

We have a 2010 v10tdi. I am running a fridge in a caravan via an Andersen plug with 6mm2 wire, from the rear battery (with a 40amp fuse). Given how fast a large 3way fridge will flatten the car battery once we stop (proven and not wanted again), I would like to fit a large relay/solenoid to turn on/off with the ignition.

I have gone over several looms and can't find a source - Q: Where can I tap an ignition switching source?

Thanks
    Buy what is called a "Fridge switch" which shuts the power off when you stop the vehicle.

Fridge Switch - Auto Cut Off When You Stop Driving | Caravan Safety Gear | CaravansPlus

http://caravansplus.com.au/pdf/FRIDG...CTIONS.pub.pdf

If you are running a full size Caravan fridge you should use at least 8 Gauge wire. (Or 8 B & S as its known). 6mm auto wire is far too light for a fridge in a van.

I would run it direct off a battery via the Fridge switch as the car wiring wont be heavy enough and you shouldnt tap into circuits in a VW as they are rather complicated and can cause it to go into limp mode if computer detects an abberation in a circuit.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 13-05-2016 at 07:48 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Be careful when connecting stuff to Touareg electrical system. The repairs could be costly.

Is there a second battery under the spare wheel under the boot floor?

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...24272578,d.dGo

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Be careful when connecting stuff to Touareg electrical system. The repairs could be costly.

Is there a second battery under the spare wheel under the boot floor?

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...24272578,d.dGo
    The second battery in the boot is just for starting? The battery under the passenger seat is for interior electronics etc after the vehicle has been started.

Since you've already used a fused Anderson plug/wiring, why not wire in a relay with a switch to enable to you turn the fridge on and off at the push of the button when you so desire?

Thanks All

If I was to install a switch, I might as well just unplug the van from the car - the issue is memory, that step was forgotten with pretty dire results. A switch would not help - It needs to be automated.

Yes there is a battery in the back, that's where the Andersen plug is run from.

Have followed the lead of mr HillBilly - had not heard of a FridgeSwitch before, works a treat.
    Octavia vRS TDi DSG MY10 - RD Technik tuned
    Polo 9N3 1.9TDi

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by harlie View Post
    Hi All. We have a 2010 v10tdi. I am running a fridge in a caravan via an Andersen plug with 6mm2 wire, from the rear battery (with a 40amp fuse).
    Running the fridge off one of the car batteries is fine for 24-36 hours, while parked-up, IF you have something like a Varta Silver battery, and NOT a flooded cell battery, but you don't really want the fridge to turn off when the ignition is off, nor have it on while starting the vehicle.

The best battery to run the fridge is the front battery (non-starter) which can fit a Varta Silver I1, ETN: 610402092, 110Ah (920 CCA).

6mm squared wire, not 6mm audio wire, is sufficient to power the fridge from the car. Running back to van would require 8mm squared wire.

All that said, you need to fit an AGM 'house battery' to the van. With a VSR close by, and maybe a DC-DC charger, but the V10 pegs 14 volts when running and will provide a good charge - but not conditioning/desulphation.

AustralianDirect (no affiliation) sell great AGMs - standard sizes as well as slim-lines for house batteries.

If you also fitted something like a Ctek 7-stage charger, again, close to the house battery, you can recondition/desulphate when parked-up, near 240V.

Now, you need a professional installer to fit the solenoids, fuses and VSR.

I'd also wire in 50A Andersens to both car batteries, with the plugs near the tow bar, to recharge from solar, as well as having 240V/solar charging capability in the van.

There's no point buying a 170Ah AGM if you can't charge it. A little bit of driving, a little bit of solar and a little bit of a powered site can do that, but you need to know how many Ahs you'll use while away.

I have a 170Ah slimline as my house battery (caged in the rear of my ride), as well as the two Vartas in-car. I have a good VSR and solar connectors.

The wiper motor provides a 12V source.

Cheers,
    Stu
    Last edited by V10Touareg; 17-07-2016 at 04:22 PM.
    MY07 V10 TDi Touareg
    98,000 Km
    HPF flash tune - 273 rwkW & 813 Nm

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by V10Touareg View Post
    Running the fridge off one of the car batteries is fine for 24-36 hours, while parked-up, IF you have something like a Varta Silver battery, and NOT a flooded cell battery, but you don't really want the fridge to turn off when the ignition is off, nor have it on while starting the vehicle.

The best battery to run the fridge is the front battery (non-starter) which can fit a Varta Silver I1, ETN: 610402092, 110Ah (920 CCA).

6mm squared wire, not 6mm audio wire, is sufficient to power the fridge from the car. Running back to van would require 8mm squared wire.

Snip

Cheers,
    Stu
    To run a van fridge efficiently without voltage drop you need 6 GAUGE (6 B&S) cable especially if its a 185L fridge

You could get away with 8G with a small one

Also if charging van batteries from the car a 6G cable is the thing to use.

Here is a good place to buy it and the fittings needed Wire
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 17-07-2016 at 06:19 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    To run a van fridge efficiently without voltage drop you need 6 GAUGE (6 B&S) cable especially if its a 185L fridge

You could get away with 8G with a small one

Also if charging van batteries from the car a 6G cable is the thing to use.

Here is a good place to buy it and the fittings needed Wire
    Thanks for repeating my advice.
    MY07 V10 TDi Touareg
    98,000 Km
    HPF flash tune - 273 rwkW & 813 Nm

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by V10Touareg View Post
    Thanks for repeating my advice.
    Thats OK I had already posted it in reply 2, perhaps you missed it

Users Country Flag