Thread: Volkswagen unveils e-car

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries

Volkswagen unveils e-car

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/09/15/vw-eup/
    Volkswagen has whipped the dust sheet from a “close to production” concept car, described by the firm as its “Beetle for the 21st Century”.
    <snip>
    Called E-Up! ...the three-door hatchback apparently has a ‘3 plus 1’ seating arrangement. The car’s front passenger seat is mounted roughly 50mm ahead of the driver's, apparently making the rear passenger seat the 'plus 1' bit
    <snip>
    E-Up’s! drive train consists of a 60kW/210Nm (80bhp/155lb-ft) electric motor connected to the front wheels, while a 240kg, 18kWh air-cooled lithium-ion battery pack rests beneath the vehicle's floor.

E-Up! has a top speed of 85mph and can reach 0-62mph in 11.3 seconds. VW pointed out that while driving through urban environments a 0-30mph sprint should take about 3.5 seconds.

Tiguan TDI, 6spd Tiptronic Auto
    Black, sunroof, comfort pack, off-road tech, tan leather, park assist & roof bars.
    Avg 7.63L/100km over 189,000kms

Users Country Flag
    Looks okay, better than most of the new E-cars (with the exception of tesla of course)

Doesn't specify a range on the info that i saw earlier today, that would be a big factor in purchasing.

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by team_v View Post
    Looks okay, better than most of the new E-cars (with the exception of tesla of course)

Doesn't specify a range on the info that i saw earlier today, that would be a big factor in purchasing.
    "Assuming a gentle right foot, the car’s fully-charged battery pack should be good for around 80 miles of motoring, VW claimed"

Tiguan TDI, 6spd Tiptronic Auto
    Black, sunroof, comfort pack, off-road tech, tan leather, park assist & roof bars.
    Avg 7.63L/100km over 189,000kms

Users Country Flag
    Hmm, not really good enough.

Tesla are getting about 244 Miles from their car which would be enough for a day trip.

This one is probably more for the drive to work and back, which is going to be pointless considering the scrapping of carparks and city driving that will occur down the track.
    Last edited by team_v; 16-09-2009 at 02:56 PM.

Users Country Flag
    My guess it's for trips of under 80 miles return of which there are plenty. According to the WA Dept. of Planning and Infrastructure, if you live in the city, over two-thirds of car trip distances are 10km or less. So this really does make sense as a second car.

Now all we need is far more renewable power to charge them up!
    MY14.5 VW Polo 81tsi Comfortline - Candy White - Comfort Pack

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    My guess it's for trips of under 80 miles return of which there are plenty. According to the WA Dept. of Planning and Infrastructure, if you live in the city, over two-thirds of car trip distances are 10km or less. So this really does make sense as a second car.

Now all we need is far more renewable power to charge them up!
    Nuclear power all the way