Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mk3 8v Crossflow

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Water Boy View Post
    Thats interesting that a non-cross flow head has the same inlet bolt up pattern as a cross flow head.
    I meant they use the same manifold as the AEG.

This is an ABA inlet manifold. It has mounting holes on the top and bottom of the runners.

This is a mk2 8v counter-flow inlet manifold. All of the counterflow heads have the same runner spacing and manifold bolt provisions.

These are not interchangable. The ABA, i believe, uses a US specific head, with a similar bottom end as the AGG motor. The early ABAs apparently came with squirters for pistons and the late model ones didn't. There are different schools of thought on their necessity but many are adament that they're really quite useful.

A common conversion in the states is the ABA 16v motor. They never got the 2.0 16v ABF motor domestically, and there are probably millions of 2.0 8v engines that can be had for pennies. The block heights (aussie 2.0 8v and ABA) are the same, which are different to pretty much every other 8v, as is rod length. The change the pistons and use any 16v head (PL heads are common as **** in the states) = effectively 2.0 16v ABF. It's a lot cheaper to send pistons from europe than it is short motors.

Basically, they make 16v motors with their block and older CIS heads. You could do this just as easily, but it's not nearly as cost effective because 16v motors/heads here, are sufficiently rare too.
    87' MK2 GTI
    13' MK7 TDI

Thanks for that info Jay.

I thin im pretty determind to get a crossflow head onto a 2e block. (How I will find out)

Been doing some more reading:

Only real mod to use it on the older type blocks is to reduce the oval oil channel to a smaller round one after which the 2E style head gasket works fine.

om nom nom nom.

nice set ups. oh how i wish i spent money on a cross flow... so much more space!!

so is it cross flow that you want? or itbs? i have a sneaky counterflow itb project... in my mind.
    87' MK2 GTI
    13' MK7 TDI

Users Country Flag
    There's a set of ABA TWM ITBs going cheap on the 'tex at the moment..

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5010378-2.0-8valve-TWM-itb-s-BAND-NEW!

79 MK1 Golf Wreck to Race / 79 MK1 Golf The Red Thread / 76 MK1 Golf Kamei Race Car
    7? MK1 Caddy
    79 B1 Passat Dasher Project
    12 Amarok

Users Country Flag
    Those engines look ****in' beautiful. I can really appreciate engine detailing now that I've got mine up on a stand and it looks like it's been shat out by bigfoot.

Pete thats naughty but so fine...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast