Support VWWC

Page 93 of 94 FirstFirst ... 438391929394 LastLast

Thread: It Begins: The S3 1.8T into my '85 Mk2 GTI

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

These pics are from a little while ago...

I got some fake hella blanks coz the single lamp grille is basically falling off. The red & black sucked so i used the red vinyl as a stencil...

-1990 Mk2 GTI 5-door with AMK 20vt (260hp @ wheels)
    -Arrow/Rotax 125 TAG X1E Go Kart

And after the DOVW last year. I lost the pics of the repainting of the wheels...

Chicken Dinner

Beautiful mate! Cheers
    Seat iBiza 1.8 20VT BBU APR Stage 2+ 239bhp | by Grame Cars Competició

Wow, it's been a long time since i gave my thread some love...

Well I've been getting the occasional random engine stop for a while and it was getting worse.

Got to the point where it would just shut down and lose all ignition on a daily basis at any random moment: Idling, on the freeway, etc.

It would just stop. I'd wait a minute, turn the key and away she went again like nothing happened. Very annoying. And dangerous.

Fuel pumps were still all ok, crank sensor was changed, i removed the immobiliser (please don't steal my car now), and changed a bunch of relays with no success.

I decided screw it, time for an overhaul.

It's now at the tuner and we've narrowed it down to a temporary loss of power to either the coils or fuel injectors causing engine to just shut down suddenly, only to go again shortly after! Maddening

While i'm at it i decided it is time to get rid of the crappy standard Borg Warner turbo/wastegate setup that is not dealing well.

I've got oil leaking through the turbo bearings into the charge piping and the wastegate spring is too weak causing very random boost behaviour.

A company called Mamba make a great kit so i'm gonna give them a try. Full turbo and wastegate with three springs and all gaskets and oil lines for just over a grand.

Pics to follow.

We all love pics...
    Last edited by GOLFBALLS; 30-10-2016 at 02:11 AM.

How's things looking now dude?
    '03 BMP MkIV Golf GTI | Oettinger tune | K04 | 18" OZ
    '04 BMP MkIV R32 #144
    search getnew
    ozaudi | ozvolks | opelaus | ecca

Car is back home as you saw on DOVW, but after a a couple of weeks faultless running, the engine cut issue has returned. i usually get about 10 minutes each drive before it does it.I think i'll re-focus my attention to the crank sensor. Maybe the terminals have a bad connection or there is oil building up on the magnet (which could explain why it takes a week or so to play up after it's been parked for a long time).I also discovered the plastic on the fuel pump fuse is melting, but the fuse doesn't blow. Weird.Stupid electricity.

Finally solved the engine cut out gremlin. MAP sensor was faulty!!!!!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLFBALLS View Post
    Finally solved the engine cut out gremlin. MAP sensor was faulty!!!!!
    I know we would be running different ecu's, but what were the symptoms of your faulty map sensor? My car is currently dying and has no fault codes. Could also be the map sensor since it randomly cuts out as well and I've tried so many things with no luck. P.s how did the mamba turbo go?
    91' Golf mk2 GTi 1.8t (soon to be gtx3076’d)
    Golf mk2 GTi 8v
    02' Audi S3 (soon to be gtx3076’d)

Quote Originally Posted by Schalke04 View Post
    I know we would be running different ecu's, but what were the symptoms of your faulty map sensor? My car is currently dying and has no fault codes. Could also be the map sensor since it randomly cuts out as well and I've tried so many things with no luck. P.s how did the mamba turbo go?
    Still haven't got the Mamba. I emailed them twice and they said they would contact me when the stock was ready. That was four months ago...

The symptoms were as previously mentioned. Engine would run totally fine then suddenly just stop as if you'd turned the ignition off. Sometimes it would be a momentary blip and it would kick in again but mostly i'd have to roll to a stop somewhere safe and just wait until it started up again.

When i was data logging i noticed just as the cut out happened the MAP sensor was reading -98kpa in the manifold and i'd be on the throttle!! It also was showing really low voltage at that moment and would cause the decel cut and eng cut to kick in.

I showed my tuner & he said that wasn't right. We chucked on a spare MAP sensor and it hasn't cut out since. That was two months ago

Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1996 Golf VR6 Colour Concept Green

Page 93 of 94 FirstFirst ... 438391929394 LastLast