Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: APR Tuned Candy White Golf 6 R from South Africa

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

And some more cleaned up shots of my car showing off the rear wiper delete and front debadge nicely...

2012 Candy White Golf 6 R DSG - APR Stage 3
    460BHP/344Kw and 608Nm

Small updates...

Received necessary carrier nuts for my alloy spindle and arms installation...

Rest of my parts are lying with a buddy of mine in JHB which is quite a drive away. So fitment will take place soon once I have finalized everything...

And then onto some DSG cooling upgrade time... Ordered this cooler that is fitted on the Mk7s as stock. It's a bolt on cooler with a slightly bigger core compared to the mk6's cooler as seen in the pics.

I don't have DSG heating issues and I'm only on 24k mileage but as most of you know, I like building my car to be reliable and healthy and not just fast. This will be installed along with a DSG oil change followed by a calibration for good measure. I may even hold onto the cooler and attempt fitment with some upgraded clutches along with the service. Time will tell.
    460BHP/344Kw and 608Nm

Received this via Experience Performance which are also our local HPA dealers here in SA...

HPA Gen4 Programmable Haldex Controller

Opted for the wired remote to switch between modes. The modes are actually Eco, Stock and Race, although the label indicates Sport.

Should be fitted soon...
    460BHP/344Kw and 608Nm

Updates...

And today my one buddy that works at Kia opted to help me fit my HPA Haldex controller after work today...

The Haldex controller really was such an easy job to install. Looks just like the stock one when installed. The tricky part is laying the wired remote through to the console!

Luckily with DIYs across the web, stripping was made 'fairly' easily.

The wired remote the goes behind the console. Nice HPA logo on the side that one will sadly never see.

And the rear and centre console stripping section. Truly not for the faint hearted!!

The end result. Placed right where I want it!

We finished up late and I haven't really tested it yet. I will be testing it for sure on the strip this coming weekend. In 'Race' mode it does almost feel like the rear wants to step out on launch. And through some bends when exiting, it really feels completely different too! Must say it comes very close to how my old man's RWD Mercs put the power down in a bend. I would love to test this on a proper race track some day!!
    460BHP/344Kw and 608Nm

Users Country Flag
    Love this car!

And I attended a race event at ODI the past weekend.

Some pics of my R at the event:

Had a great day. My goals were to achieve very low 12s on the quarter mile and to crack my old 235km/h speed on the 1km. I aimed for 238km/h...

My personal best results were 12.26s on the quarter mile and I also achieved an exit speed of 239km/h on the 1km. I left the event very proud!

Results for the 1km: (Car number 3):

Results for the 400m:

Here are some videos of my quarter mile runs:

My Golf R - ODI Raceway October 2014 - YouTube
    460BHP/344Kw and 608Nm

Users Country Flag
    On one of your runs you did 12.3 with a 1.2 reaction time. Get that reaction time down and you're doing low 11's. That's damn quick!

Some updates:

With some more research done and finished on the Passat B6/Audi S3 spindles as well as the Passat B6 arms, I found it time to fit everything.

The process is a bolt on solution. However, the install requires different caliper bolts and specific carrier nuts. Failure to do so can result in serious problems. The car will be extremely unsafe!!!

Very chuffed at how quick and efficient Steve's team at Koni/CRS is... Really did such a good job! Here is my R when it got to Koni or CRS.

Stripping took place and soon I was comparing the two different OEM iron parts with the OEM+ alloy parts...

Ashley who actually fitted everything on my R organised a scale that I requested for and I got down to doing more comparison with weight...

The spindles/knuckles... OEM vs OEM+

The control arms... OEM vs OEM+

So a total weight saving of 3.1kg per front corner. It may not seem like a lot but it is noticeable when driving... The handling of the car is exceptional. Coupled with my lighter brakes and wheels, she really is a joy to drive!!

Some more on the build:

Here you can see the difference between the smaller caliper bolts compared to the beefier ones. The longer ones are required as the alloy knuckle is thicker for strength. The same goes for the ball joint and tie rod carrier bolts to the spindle. They must be all correct!

Installation completed:

After installation and wheel alignment performed, I set off to have my wheels refurbed. I was loaned a set of Audi A4 wheels while the finish up my VMRs. Can't wait to see the end result!!

Pictures of the Audi wheels on my R... Some may like it, but I detest them...

460BHP/344Kw and 608Nm

And so came the decision on a suitable wheel colour for my refurbished VMRs... I like black and I like anthracite... Decision to get the right colour to go with my carbon bits was the idea.

The colour chosen was a custom colour called "black chrome" Depending on how the light falls on it, she really flips colour!

And shortly after leaving, I took a snap

And some from after the weekend... After removing the front plate and giving her a good valet.

460BHP/344Kw and 608Nm

Users Country Flag

Good choice on the wheel colour - they look great. Black wheels are so overdone and to be honest they look crap most of the time. The black chrome colouring looks awesome.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast