Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 76er Swallowtail K-Jet turbo build

Assembly mocked up on the bench with a few more part's fitted

Mocking up a new Wastegate actuator.

I can see why company's such as Callaway etc all ran external WG. There is bugger all room down there for them. But I've come this far not to turn around, so I'll stick at it & make it work

Then the die grinder had to be broken out again due to clearance issues with the G60 intake!

This took quiet some time & alot of fitting & refitting to get it right

With some of the stuff off getting finished welded & a few other part's I'm waiting on, I decided to tackle some other part's incl. modifying the dizzy.

Early "twin port" vac canister

Stock GTI vac advance canister

To enable more boost retard, I drilled out the vac pot stop

All mounted up after drilling some new mounting holes

I also fitted a set of MK4 GTI 20vt spark plugs too. This should finish off the ignition system with only a couple of minor timing adjustments during tuning

I also decided to have another play around with the Audi Warm Up reg after some long thinking sessions.

The more I played around with it, the more I learned about it & decided to apply the boost pressure to the other chamber of the warm up (not the barbed fitting side) & put it to the test. I wound down the compressore to 10psi & put it to the test. It worked spot on & I played around with different pressure setting's & compared them to some old porsche K-Jet turbo spec's & were right on the money.

I no longer need the one-way valve my friend made for me.

During my thinking stage, I also wanted to try & add more fuel enrichment for higher boost level's, but didn't want to go down the programmable extra injector(s), as this basically defeats the purpose of building a K-Jet turbo. If you've got one or two extra injectors that can be programmed the way you want to supply the fuel, you might as well go to a full standalone ECU like Microtech, Autronic etc.

So I've had a flat plat of alloy welded to the face of the intake plenum & have drilled & tapped holes for an extra 2 cold start valves run off a adjustable hobbs switch.
    Because the G60 intake doesn't have a spot for it, I can put them where I want. The stock GTI spot isn't efficient enough to mix up the right mixture anyway, as you've got say 10psi blowing right as the face of the valve, which will just blow the fuel right up against the No1 plenum wall & force it all into cyl. 1.
    So I've placed one of them between cyl 1 & 2, & the other between cyl 3 & 4. Hopefully this with mix it up nice & supply an even amount of fuel to all cyl's.

Even if this setup runs rich as buggery on boost. It's better than running lean! Running rich can also drown out the piston melting pinging! We'll see how it goes. If it does run on the rich side under boost, I'll screw some more boost into it & see what happens.
    My friend is also good with setting up water/meth injection kits as well, so theres another option too.
    I plan on starting off tuning on Wastegate spring pressure which is roughly 7psi & work my way up.

In the event of it melting a piston, I've got some 20vt spare piston's & rods, I'll throw in along with a G60 metal head gasket, which should be more than enough for the little 8v

I'll put up some pic's when I get the intake back.

More pics

Various silicone hoses of different sizes & shapes. (What ever doesn't get used will get put away for the next turbo build) I't shard to judge what you might need when building these sort's of things without having most of the stuff already fitted.

Various mild steel mandrel's & piping.

A couple of my friend's came down & built the dump pipe while I was at work & also installed the oxy. sensor bung. They done an awesome job too smoothing off the welds & making it flow nice & smooth. They'll also be helping with the intercooler piping.

I'll drive it to my friend's exhaust place like this & he'll rig up the rest of the exhaust. It will just be a 2.5" with a resonator & turbo rear muffler. Don't want it too loud as I travel 200km a day in it. So no drone for me!
    In case your all wondering, this is my everyday car & travel 700+km a week in it, not a weekend warrior.

Hobb's switch & Mk4 GTI 20vt (AGU engine code) spark plugs

A good friend of mine also gave me this.

A factory 1977 Mk1 GLS Radio.

Well, I finally got my intake manifold & intercooler back!

These were the last piece's in the puzzle from stopping my progress.

Now on with some more work

My friends tackled the dump pipe, so it was my turn to do the rest of the pipe work. Good fun!

Intake with it's modded twin aux. injector (cold start valves) plate

Hopefully it should work ok. If not, the weber throttle body has another mounting for a 3rd cold start valve.

Intercooler with all it's mounting brackets on

Mounted up the intercooler & then installed the radiator to start mocking up all the piping

There is still alittle bit of room between the intercooler & radiator. They aren't hard up against each other.

I also mounted it using scrivet's (pop rivet nut's) Work awesome!

Various silicone hose joiner slugs

Had to get the turbo intake pipe stretched to fit snugly in the volvo intake boot.

Turbo intake pipe all done & mocked up. I'll get some more pics of this when it's back out of the car along with all the pipes

Then started mocking up the intercooler to throttle body piping

Finished pipe

Then mocked up the Tial BOV mounting position & then the Hobb's switch as well

Then started in the turbo outlet piping. Sorry but I forgot to get a pic of this out of the car

Working out intercooler piping position

I wanted both pipes to run parallel with each other & make it a clean fitment.

Everything appears to clear everything, but only a test drive & time will tell. Hopefully I'll be fine with engine movement

Progress will slow down this weekend, as I've got a 2 day training course over the weekend, but I'll try & get in some work during the night's & back on it on Mon.

Well this weekend was alittle dissapointing & not really happy with the progress. Crappy weather put a stop to painting & a so called dash -4 fitting decided to strip an oil supply adapter! Mmmmmmm.

But I did get some stuff done.

I finished welding all the pipe work, smooth & blended everything which took quite some time. Especially around the BOV. But the extra effort was worth it

All the piping ready for paint tomorrow

Dropped the sump & fitting the oil drain fitting

I also decided to fit a VW Motorsport Windage tray I've had here for a long time. What better time to use it than now.

Made up the oil return line & oil supply line For interest sake the supply is dash -4 & return is dash -10

I also got time to modify the wastegate mounting bracket, due to how the turbo housing's are clocked, the original bracket jammed the wastegate pot against the intake manifold. I also had to mod the swing/push rod end too.

So out came some scrap metal, the hacksaw, linisher & welder.

My welds are slowly getting better.

I'll be ordering some more part's tomorrow which broke, painting the piping & hopefully start reassembly tomorrow night!

Got another good day in of work today.

Decided to set up a makeshift booth in the shed as it was crap weather all day again & line it with old massive blanket's & got the patio heater going! Crap I know, but it all didn't turn out half bad.

Managed to etch & spray all component's & then fit everything up.

Just waiting on an oil supply fitting & then onto the wiring which shouldn't take all that long & then brake booster pipe, exhaust & aux. injector fuel line

On with the pics. Very pleased with the final product. Almost look's factory apart from the Tial BOV.

Before & after shot's.

Engine look's alittle cleaner now with less aux. air valve supply hoses & the Warm up reg hoses tucked away too.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast