Support VWWC

Thread: Seat Cordoba misfire on full throttle

Seat Cordoba misfire on full throttle

Hi All

I've just picked up a cheap 1.8L Cordoba for my brother but it has a small issue in that it starts and runs fine but if you give it a boot load of throttle (as in full throttle) it bogs down and back fires through the throttle body.

I've only just picked it up and swapped the fuel pump and installed a new battery and a part from getting it running I've not yet had time to fully diagnose the problem.
    I'm thinking it could be a lean fuelling issue (vacuum leak?) or bad ignition timing.

As I don't (yet) have an OBD error code scanner I can't check for error codes - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Users Country Flag
    Running lean wouldn't cause it to backfire through the throttle body, sounds like the timing is out.

If you slowly push the pedal all the way to the floor does it behave?

Cheers

Paul

Users Country Flag
    Pull the electric carby off, and inspect the rubber gasket between it and the intake manifold.

They have a habbit of perishing and causing all sorts of weird running problems.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag

Thanks for your suggestions all, when I slowly open the throttle it has a slight cough at around 2000 rpm but it will recover and run past this point all the way to red line if required.
    My thinking is leaning towards ignition issue but I will check the throttle bdy mount as part of the process.

Thanks again for suggestions.

I have seen a few old 8V engines have the rotor button crack and start making some interesting dynamic timing changes :-P. Have a look in the dizzy first.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    Yeah, pretty much.

Cap, button, leads and plugs are the 'running problems' basics on the 8-valvers.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Check the timing and get yourself a new coilpack. Even if its not causing the issue you will want one in the glovebox for when it leaves you stranded on the side of the road in the middle of the night.

PERFORMANCE, STYLING AND OEM PRODUCTS FOR YOUR VW

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    stranded on the side of the road in the middle of the night.
    That's when you ring the missus to get out of bed and help rescue you. Remind her if only she let you spend more time at the pub you would have made more friends who could have helped you out.