Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to replace tyres

[QUOTE=BS_roc;1079779]Hi, have orginal Bridgestones still on and driven over 60k on them, looking to replace, but as I will be moving the car on within 12 months maybe save a $1200 by going with a cost effective option such as the ones on the link below.

At 60k your the man.

I only managed 30K from mine and started to get traction problems even in dry conditions. Luckily saw a post somewhere in the VW forums about Hankook tyre deals and got 4 S1evo2s for less than $900(buy 3 get the 4th free). Quite happy with the purchase (obviously) as well as the performance of these tyres compared with the Michelin PSS which I was quoted $1700.
    Tig 162 R-Line; Audi TT

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by BS_roc View Post
    Hi, have orginal Bridgestones still on and driven over 60k on them, looking to replace, but as I will be moving the car on within 12 months maybe save a $1200 by going with a cost effective option such as the ones on the link below.

Anyone got any advice or comments on this?

Achilles ATR Sport Tyres from $149
    60k km on a set of tyres!!??

Users Country Flag
    I was surprised that they have lasted so well, starting to get a few traction issues now with 62.5k on them, but still ok, for normal driving ( ie not tramping it too hard) I was also surpised at people getting < 20k out of them.

any comments on the cheapies I listed in my orginal post?
    Scirocco R - DSG

Users Country Flag
    Hi, have orginal Bridgestones still on and driven over 60k on them, looking to replace, but as I will be moving the car on within 12 months maybe save a $1200 by going with a cost effective option such as the ones on the link below.

Achilles ATR Sport Tyres from $149
    I'm not a fan of any of the cheapies. If you really want to save money then you can get 235/35r19 for $87 fited & balanced.

I'm not quite sure how you save $1200 when Something like a Goodyear F1A2 is about $310 each ($160 more than the Achilles) - It's only a saving of $640. Keep in mind an astute purchaser will notice cheap tyres & wonder what else you've cheaped-out on. Also, you have to drive on the things for 12 months. Maybe it won't make much difference to you as you obviously drive quite conservatively.

Kumho KU19 & KU39 or Falken FK453 are $170-$190 - that might be a good happy medium?
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I'm not a fan of any of the cheapies. If you really want to save money then you can get 235/35r19 for $87 fited & balanced.

I'm not quite sure how you save $1200 when Something like a Goodyear F1A2 is about $310 each ($160 more than the Achilles) - It's only a saving of $640. Keep in mind an astute purchaser will notice cheap tyres & wonder what else you've cheaped-out on. Also, you have to drive on the things for 12 months. Maybe it won't make much difference to you as you obviously drive quite conservatively.

Kumho KU19 & KU39 or Falken FK453 are $170-$190 - that might be a good happy medium?
    +1

I personally would't not buy a performance car with budget tyres, but if i really like the car, i would bargain extra harder cos i will likely throw the cheap tyres away and get a set of decent ones (kumho and hankook are the lowest brands i would go with).

In saying that, my parents do sell Achilles tyres (heaps of them)
    Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - Super Select 2WD/4WD
    Toyota 86 GTS Performance Pack Moon Slate - RWD
    MINI Cooper S Clubman - FWD

Users Country Flag
    But it's your car, your call, your wallet

I have seen a modern $500k Bentley running on Nankang tyres in Brisbane...
    Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - Super Select 2WD/4WD
    Toyota 86 GTS Performance Pack Moon Slate - RWD
    MINI Cooper S Clubman - FWD

Users Country Flag
    ok thanks for your comments, I will do some research on the kumho and falken options.
    Scirocco R - DSG

Users Country Flag

Achilles ATR Sport Tyres
    from $149
    Had these on my Rocco when purchased ( the owner had a flat day before pick up and replaced the fronts with these cheapies ). Mega traction issues and I would stay well clear! Took them off within 2 weeks they were that bad in noise and traction.

Opted for nitto invo's and very happy with them.

Users Country Flag
    ok thanks for the heads up
    Scirocco R - DSG

Users Country Flag

Hi all, thanks for your comments, I ended up with 4 x Pirelli P1 they seem ok on the road and heaps more quiet than the Potenzas and maybe even better on fuel consumption like they say they are.....
    Scirocco R - DSG

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast