Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decisions.. New Scirocco OR Audi A3 S Line Quattro (runout)

Decisions.. New Scirocco OR Audi A3 S Line Quattro (runout)

Hi.. they are much the same price, I am leaning towards the Audi what are your thoughts/opinions ? for a daily commute car.

Users Country Flag
    Scirocco is awesome fun, is that the Wolfsburg edition you are looking at? There's nothing quite as good looking as the Scirocco shape (for the money) and they are still relatively rare, i always gets questioned about mine even after 3 1/2 years. Shame they are dropping it
    The A3 is on the newer platform, better interior, extra doors and with Quattro.
    Tricky one as they are quite different looking. I'd still go with the Roc but I'd trade it for an RS3. I'm looking at my options at the moment for a decision in the new year.
    I've had a very enjoyable 84,000kms in mine and i still love driving it every day.
    All of that doesn't help you at all really ��
    BMW Z4 (2019)
    Audi TT quattro (2015), s-line in Nano Grey - sold

Users Country Flag
    Two quite different cars really.
    The A3 will be a more refined drive, and more practical - no question. But the Scirocco would be lots more fun and turns heads. I gey 1 to 2 comments a week from random people.
    I suspect the Scirocco would have better resale value and possibly lower servicing costs if that is important to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes_WIR35 View Post
    Two quite different cars really.
    The A3 will be a more refined drive, and more practical - no question. But the Scirocco would be lots more fun and turns heads. I gey 1 to 2 comments a week from random people.
    I suspect the Scirocco would have better resale value and possibly lower servicing costs if that is important to you.
    Thanks Tobes I guess the more refined ride is what I feel is important..... .as i get older that seems more important .the Scirocco option comes from wanting one for about 3 years..+ being a VW fanboy .....I can do a deal for 3 years free service on the A3 so that saves bit and Quattro is a tempting option.....maybe i wait for the 3 door GTI...late 2017 maybe ..cheers

Both cars are at the end of their model life and getting a bunch of options/accessory packs chucked in to sweeten the deal.

The main difference is that there will not be a 2017 Scirocco.

So there will not be anything to push the resale prices lower (other than the km/wear and tear on the car). I'd expect Scirocco resale prices to remain fairly high. Also those sports bucket seats do look waaaaay better than the seats in the recent Golf R Wolfsburg models.

Nothing against the A3 I'm sure it's a nice car, however the Scirocco is something a bit more special and is a real head turner. A couple of friends have current model S3's and most people don't give them a second look.

If you get a chance take both for a drive. The Scirocco has an extra 56kW on the A3 which has the traction of an AWD system but also carries the weight penalty. The Scirocco may be a bit slower off the line, however when rolling will be much quicker than the A3 everywhere else.

I drove the Scirocco and Golf R back to back on the VW drive day and the Scirocco was definitely the more fun/playful car to drive. I think the A3 will feel slow/underpowered in comparison.

If you don't need 4 doors and want something that puts a smile on your face every time you drive it then get the Scirocco.

If you want to be sensible and have the badge cred then get the A3.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Bear in mind the A3 is just about to be facelifted - MY17 cars with the new front bar/grille/lights etc will be arriving in the country in the next month or two. This means dealers will be pushing hard to move MY16 stock. There's not a huge difference other than aesthetics (although MY17 gets some new fruit like Apple Carplay and DAB missing from the older model), so if you're crafty you could get a very good deal. The facelift model should be current until around mid-late 2020.

I agree with tigger73 though - if you're after an enjoyable performance car that stands out from the crowd, go the 'Roc. They're a superb car. I've also had the pleasure of thrashing them at Phillip Island and Eastern Creek, and comparing directly to the Mk7 Golf R, and they're a hugely competent and enjoyable drive, and are decently quick too. The A3 will be far quieter and have a significantly softer ride at the expense of responsiveness, but the Scirocco is by no means overly firm or harsh - I think it's quite compliant for what it is.

I drive an MY15 S3 sedan.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jdw View Post
    Hi.. they are much the same price, I am leaning towards the Audi what are your thoughts/opinions ? for a daily commute car.
    Before reading - be warned that I am obviously biased
    Don't use mine as a "daily" as I am retired but no reason why it couldn't be - you would always have a grin
    Mine NEVER goes into a carpark and nothing that could mark the lining ever goes into the boot
    So it lives a very protected life but that doesn't mean it doesn't get driven like it should be

OK which one
    Depends on what the car means to you
    As others have said with the Scirocco you will continually be asked "what is it ?"
    The shape is just magic - that's what I like most about it - yes the performance is good too
    But is a real "looker" and that's what hit me the first time I saw it
    It only got better with the facelift model, particularly the "retro" centre instrument pod IMHO
    Finally the sound - love the Bimodal exhaust - No idea what the A3 has in that department

That leads to the practicality - hard to compare 2 doors with 4 doors - so the 2 negatives are
    Scirocco has BIG doors and that IS a problem in tight spaces like the garage and carparks - have to be very careful
    Access to back seats is made more difficult than other 2 door cars because of the low roof line
    Only 2 seats in the back - that beautiful shape at the backs costs you the center seat in the back
    But that is offset by the high back rear buckets seats - and it is a good 4 adult tourer once they get in
    Boot rear lip is very high - doesn't affect me as nothing goes in it -

Haven't driven an A3 but Scirocco ride is "firm" - but in "comfort" mode it is all OK around South Brisbane pathetic roads

Even if all these "difficulties" are overcome in the A3 it is not in the ball park as far as looks go - yes it has Quattro
    But is just another hot hatch and there are many of them

So my advice would be if looks and having a rare car are important --- go the "Rocc" and live with the minor inconveniences....
    Otherwise get the A3

For me it would be a "no brainer", but as I said - I'm biased - extremely LOL

Hope this helps in some way - let us know what you end up doing

Users Country Flag
    I traded my Scirroco for an S3 about 6 months ago and very happy, whilst the S3 doesnt draw the attention of the scirroco, I find it better to be under the radar a bit more these days
    Scirocco R - DSG

+1 for Scirocco. If you were getting a S3 then sure go Audi. My Scirocco is my daily drive for approaching 4 years now. No issues with car or comfort level.
    I had a very bad experience with my last car A3 (although just a regular A3 2.0), wouldn't do it to myself again.

S3. AWD vs FWD is a no brainer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast