Thread: 2014 Scirocco electrical issue - radio turns off and windows wind down simultaneously

Users Country Flag

Exclamation 2014 Scirocco electrical issue - radio turns off and windows wind down simultaneously

Hi guys,
    I've had my 2014 Scirocco R for 5 months now, and have encountered (I would assume) an electrical issue that's happening nearly daily now.

As I'm driving, the radio will switch off randomly, and at the exact same time both driver and passenger windows will wind down by that 1cm (eg. same as when you open your car).

I've also found that it seems to occur more often now that the weather is heating up in Perth.

And recently I've also had the issue of the radio staying on - even after I've taken the key out of the ignition and locked the car. This incident has only happened once thankfully.

I've brought the car back to the dealer that sold me the car within the 3 month statutory warranty period - however, they advised me that when they drove it they couldn't find anything wrong. They apparently contacted VW and they said they've never heard of such an issue.

They did a window reset, and that was it.

Any suggestions guys?

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like the ignition swtich on the back of the ignition barrel.

This was common on MK6 Golfs, which the Scirocco is based on, however the windows dropping down (which the Golf doesn't do), adds to the drama.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Umai is likely on the money as he lives and breathes these things.

If it's not the ignition barrel then I'd try and find the previous owner to see if they had anything aftermarket installed on the car. There's some electrical gremlins somewhere and anything aftermarket would be a place to start.

Check that the radio/head unit isn't an aftermarket unit. It's possible that the previous owner has upgraded it with something non-genuine and this also may be causing your problems.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Sounds like the ignition swtich on the back of the ignition barrel.

This was common on MK6 Golfs, which the Scirocco is based on, however the windows dropping down (which the Golf doesn't do), adds to the drama.
    The doors are frameless on the rocco, so the windows drop drown 1cm when the doors unlock

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    2013 MY13.5 Passat V6 Highline Wagon. Watch this space
    GONE:2017 MY18 Skoda RS169 Wagon w/ Tech & Lux, 2007 VW MKV Golf GTi

Users Country Flag
    Yes I know, that's why mentioned it.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag

I had similar(ish) issues that you've mentioned uttie so I'm just adding to the discussion - my Scirocco started some crazy electrical weirdness with the radio and windows and that was the battery, worth getting it checked by an independent battery place.
    VW kept telling me it was ok but it was stuffed, replaced it and all the issues magically went away.
    BMW Z4 (2019)
    Audi TT quattro (2015), s-line in Nano Grey - sold