Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should i buy this vr6?

Users Country Flag

Should i buy this vr6?

Hey everyone, there has been a green mk3 golf 2.0 here at home for a couple of years. Great little car, love it.*Good on fuel, nice to drive...
    My reason for joining tho, is I have the oportunity to purchase a '98 mk3 vr6. It needs a few things...water pump, rocker gasket, heater core, an engine mount, rear wheel bearings.......so im a little worried its been thrashed to hell and not worth spending money on.
    Id really just like to speak to someone who has worked on/owns a mk3 vr6, or given the contact for a decent mechanic with vr6 experience so i can ask a few questions. I dont want buy a car which it going to cost more than its worth to fix.*
    I spoke to a couple of local mechanics (small town) and they really didnt have any experience with them...so I found my way here*
    It runs, drives, smokes a bit in the engine bay from the oil dripping on the exhaust manifold shield. Shocks are good, body is tidy, tyres are new etc etc....im just hesitant at this engine.*
    Thanks in advance.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Teocali View Post
    Hey everyone, there has been a green mk3 golf 2.0 here at home for a couple of years. Great little car, love it.*Good on fuel, nice to drive...
    My reason for joining tho, is I have the oportunity to purchase a '98 mk3 vr6. It needs a few things...water pump, rocker gasket, heater core, an engine mount, rear wheel bearings.......so im a little worried its been thrashed to hell and not worth spending money on.
    Id really just like to speak to someone who has worked on/owns a mk3 vr6, or given the contact for a decent mechanic with vr6 experience so i can ask a few questions. I dont want buy a car which it going to cost more than its worth to fix.*
    I spoke to a couple of local mechanics (small town) and they really didnt have any experience with them...so I found my way here*
    It runs, drives, smokes a bit in the engine bay from the oil dripping on the exhaust manifold shield. Shocks are good, body is tidy, tyres are new etc etc....im just hesitant at this engine.*
    Thanks in advance.
    I saw that car listed yesterday.
    I'd be concerned about the oil consumption and if it really is just a leak from the gasket. Best of luck mate

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Mk IV Golf GTI - BMP - GIAC chip, R32 wheels, KW coilovers, rear swaybar.
    Originally Posted by JoeVR
    I've never been a big fan of rotors, or really Japanese cars in general, so my choice would have to be..... an RX-8.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    It is pouring oil from the back of the cam cover, you can see it plain as day...the back of the engine and firewall are covered.
    There is a loud external bearing noise, they said water pump because thats what they were told...but it could be the belt tensioner, aircon, alternator or power steer pump too i guess....
    Either way...i still need to rip the inlet manifold off to do that gasket, and from what ive read thats gonna result in broken hoses for sure.
    Are these things worth the effort? From what ive read they are more of a pain in the butt than anything else....but i cant get over the fat torque and wonderful sound.

Users Country Flag
    I couldn't see it from the photos in the ad but you seem to have it covered.

I've never been a big fan of rotors, or really Japanese cars in general, so my choice would have to be..... an RX-8.

From what I've been told in the past from MK3 VR6 afficionados, whatever you spend on the car, make sure you have the same amount in the bank account for when (not if, when) things stuff up.

Bottom line, dont do it. Theyre great when theyre working but 9 times out of 10, they wont be. Very big generalisation here but unless the VR6 was owned by an enthusiast who truly looked after it and tended to all the MK3 niggles, chances are that any VR6 will require you to keep a careful eye on it so that it doesn't break down or blow up or something. There will always be something. Each to their own but I don't think I'll ever own a MK3 VR6 again because as much as I like tinkering, id much rather drive the bloody thing. If it's a VR6 I'm looking for i'd look to a MK4 R32 as a starting point if I could afford it.
    Last edited by stephen8512; 03-07-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I agree with stephen.
    When they are well maintained, they can be great.
    Hoses, plastic housings etc will be on the cards plus whatever else is needed to bring the rest up to scratch.
    I'm not telling you to avoid it but be weary and factor in the cost of parts. If you do have to do the water pump, you may also want to do the chain etc.
    Guess it depends what service history you get. Sometimes it's just worth spending more and getting a better car that doesn't need the work.
    I replaced ours with a 2001 S3 with full history and its so much more of a car.. and boost.

Users Country Flag
    I loved my VR6 and keep thinking about grabbing another one to tinker with... but they are getting old and plenty of stuff breaks, much of which you can work around, but lots you cant. I replaced pretty much all of these items over the years (except the chains, crack pipe, ABS and clutch) I had mine, mostly one at a time as they failed.

Heatercore
    AC System
    Central Locking (pump + all those plastic lines)
    Cruise Control
    Crack Pipe
    All the sensors
    Coil Pack
    Leads
    Power Windows
    Engine Mounts
    Bushes
    MAF
    Timing Chains
    Shocks
    CV Boots
    Oil Pan + seals
    Seats (bolsters mostly)
    Exhaust
    Clutch
    ABS System

The VR6 is a brilliant to drive... and that sound! But unless you really want to get your hands dirty and do lots of little things yourself it's going to cost you a fortune at the mechanic. If you really want one I'm sure you can find a better one than what you have described.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Thanks guys, these are the honest, real world answers i was looking for. Really didnt need a 5th car anyway, just thought it might be a fun thing. I honestly dont need another project. I wanted to fix it and drive it, not fix it every time i wanted to drive it.
    Cheers
    Teo.

Out of interest, theres also a white 2 door mk3 here in town as well...would be nice for a 2.0fsi/6 speed conversion....cage, coils, fixed back seats and harneses.... *sigh*....

*facepam*
    NO! No more projects!!

Users Country Flag

Well if there is a white 3 door Mk3 in town, you can always get your hands on a VR6 motor and gearbox and then have the best of both worlds

I feel your pain, I have been tempted by a couple of recent "opportunities" but then I come to my senses (I still have not managed to find the time and money to get the Vento on the road yet). Luckily I can live vicariously through Son No. 2 who has just bought himself a Golf Mk4 GTI that needs a bit of work.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast